Scream Factory: Single White Female

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

#1 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:36 pm

Scream titles are better, they're putting out Single White Female, which has never had a Blu-Ray release!!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:28 pm

No extras listed (yet?) but Single White Female will be out November 13. Hey, remember when I voted for this as my number one film on the forum's Horror List and it was orphaned?

Jean-Luc Garbo

Scream Factory: Single White Female

#3 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:22 am

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:28 pm
No extras listed (yet?) but Single White Female will be out November 13. Hey, remember when I voted for this as my number one film on the forum's Horror List and it was orphaned?
NEW Audio Commentary With Director Barbet Schroeder, Editor Lee Percy, And Associate Producer Susan Hoffman
NEW Interview With Director Barbet Schroeder
NEW Interview With Actor Steven Weber
NEW Interview With Actor Peter Friedman
NEW Interview With Screenwriter Don Roos
One of the comments there mentioned deleted scenes but this looks like more than enough! The new director's commentary is especially welcome. I guess that since Tovoli is still alive he was at least consulted? I'm a little concerned that they don't say if it's a new scan or not however. I have a soft spot for the film but haven't revisited it in several years. So much so that as a teen I even read the source novel which was okay. Glad to see that domino listed it so high cos the film is quite due for a re-evaluation.

colinr0380

#4 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:36 am

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:22 am
domino harvey wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:28 pm
NEW Audio Commentary With Director Barbet Schroeder, Editor Lee Percy, And Associate Producer Susan Hoffman
NEW Interview With Director Barbet Schroeder
NEW Interview With Actor Steven Weber
NEW Interview With Actor Peter Friedman
NEW Interview With Screenwriter Don Roos
One of the comments there mentioned deleted scenes but this looks like more than enough! The new director's commentary is especially welcome. I guess that since Tovoli is still alive he was at least consulted? I'm a little concerned that they don't say if it's a new scan or not however. I have a soft spot for the film but haven't revisited it in several years. So much so that as a teen I even read the source novel which was okay. Glad to see that domino listed it so high cos the film is quite due for a re-evaluation.
Unfortunately at this distance I mostly remember Single White Female as the other film of that time which featured a song by Enigma playing in the background of a brief nightclub scene (the biggest use of Enigma being Carly's Song over the opening credits of Sliver). It can be strange to note what things stick with you about a film decades after seeing it!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5 Post by domino harvey » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:37 am

I think it's a masterpiece of its kind of film, and says more about the nature of identity than a lot of more visible popular examples have lately. I am definitely pleasantly surprised at the amount of extras Shout was able to finagle for the release, though interestingly JJL told them no and of course Fonda is retired, so I don't think anyone expected her to say yes

Charles

#6 Post by Charles » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:25 pm

I’m heartened to hear some positive comments re SWF. I would probably have categorized it as a guilty pleasure, but it pressed a lot of buttons and pressed them well. I look forward to revisiting it after a couple of decades.

Adam X

#7 Post by Adam X » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:41 pm

That’s some kevyip you’ve got there.

L.A.

#8 Post by L.A. » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:42 am

I like Single White Female too. A little similar film perhaps (also from 1992) but how about The Hand That Rocks the Cradle, does this have some quality release available? I remember seeing both pretty much simultaneously and the last viewings are from ages ago. Maybe a double bill again after all these years.

Lost Highway

#9 Post by Lost Highway » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:18 am

L.A. wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:42 am
I like Single White Female too. A little similar film perhaps (also from 1992) but how about The Hand That Rocks the Cradle, does this have some quality release available? I remember seeing both pretty much simultaneously and the last viewings are from ages ago. Maybe a double bill again after all these years.
Single White Female was part of a whole wave of domestic psycho thrillers of the late 80s/early 90s. They all followed the pattern of seemingly benign people gaining the trust of the protagonist/s only to reveal themselves to be home invading, homicidal psychopaths. Apart from room-mates (SWF) and nannies (The Hand That Rocks the Cradle) there were tenants (Pacific Heights), stepfathers (The Stepfather) teenage boyfriends (Fear), helpful cops (Unlawful Entry), mistresses (Fatal Attraction), teen Lolitas (Poison Ivy, The Crush), rich husbands (Sleeping with the Enemy, an inversion of the formula) and in a workplace variation, temps (The Temp). I think The Stepfather and SWF were the best of the lot.

connor

#10 Post by connor » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:51 am

L.A. wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:42 am
The latter is Curtis Hanson right? I've been meaning to do a deep-dive on his work. Crazy that Wonder Boys isn't on blu-ray but then again, that's Paramount for you.

Professor Wagstaff

#11 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:58 am

Hanson has some really well-made thrillers from the early years of his career that are really worth a look. The Bedroom Window comes to mind. After he passed away a few years back, I caught up with a Canadian film he wrote called The Silent Partner with Elliott Gould and Christopher Plummer that's really terrific, one of the too-rare surprises I've seen lately.

hearthesilence

#12 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:04 pm

Sad what happened to Hanson - he apparently left what would've been his last film early on in production because of the illness that eventually took his life.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Scream Factory: Single White Female

#13 Post by domino harvey » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:47 pm

The Temp! Wow, now there's a movie I've forgotten about for at least twenty years

cdnchris
Site Admin

Re: Scream Factory: Single White Female

#14 Post by cdnchris » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:07 pm

Yep, me too. Literally forgot about it when I dropped the VHS back into the return slot.