Kino

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Matt

Re: Kino

#3451 Post by Matt » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:57 pm

unclehulot: Indeed, my comment meant that I hope Kino doesn’t tinker with whatever master they were given as it’s great already.

pistolwink

#3452 Post by pistolwink » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:32 pm

I seem to recall the Kino release of Fantômas (or was it Les Vampires) having re-done English intertitles, but I think folks are right that this would presume an investment of time and money that a release like this probably doesn't warrant economically. (Which is fine w/ me because I prefer to read the original French titles, or whatever recreations Gaumont put together.)

I'm just very happy they are releasing this at all. Tih Minh was a real holy grail for folks once upon a time, like other storied films like Out One, and it's strange that it's soon at anyone's fingertips. TBH having watched a few episodes I suspect this serial is a cut below the ones that preceded it, but that's still pretty high praise.

Peacock

#3453 Post by Peacock » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:43 pm

Kino’s BD of Les Vampires featured new English intertitles as they relied on an old master for the film (but the Gaumont set is the one to get for this title anyway to get the newer resto).

Kino’s Fantomas uses French intertitles as it comes from that same Gaumont restoration.

So I highly doubt Kino will go to the bother of making English intertitles for an obscure 7 hour silent when they didn’t when they used Gaumont’s resto for Fantomas.

If they throw in a few more Feuillade shorts I’ll happily double dip!

JSC

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics

#3454 Post by JSC » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:07 pm

Nostalghia
4k/blu-ray combo coming April 23rd.

https://kinolorber.com/product/nostalghia-4kuhd

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3455 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:12 pm

Now that it’s nominated for an Oscar, Four Daughters is getting a Blu-ray in April (previously announced and released as DVD only). Can someone (re)nominate En liberté! for something now?!

ryannichols7

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics

#3456 Post by ryannichols7 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:49 pm

JSC wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:07 pm
Nostalghia
4k/blu-ray combo coming April 23rd.

with a full length Daniel Bird commentary, terrific!!!

EDIT: can't help but notice the commentary isn't labeled as "new", but I don't see it on the previous Kino or AE releases. anyone know if it appeared elsewhere? Maltic?

Maltic

#3457 Post by Maltic » Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:04 pm

I hadn't heard of it.

A brave move. :) You rarely get commentaries on certified Sloow Cinema.

ryannichols7

#3458 Post by ryannichols7 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:27 pm

Bird is up to the task - his contributions to the UK labels have been wonderful. it'll be nice to hear a good commentary for a Tarkovsky film, something I felt Mirror could've really used (and was surprised Bird didn't contribute one). the original CC tracks vary - Rublev is kinda poor but I like the Solaris one, aside from their extremely unnecessary trashing of the Tokyo sequence

anyway, this is the only Tarkovsky I've never watched, been saving it for the right moment. I'll consider this it, but I do hope I get the chance to see it in theaters somehow

Maltic

#3459 Post by Maltic » Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:00 pm

Yeah, I still feel kinda lost when it comes to Mirror. CC should've given it the deluxe CliffsNotes treatment, as with Rayns and Steffen on The Color of Pomegranates. (Of course I could just open my copy of A Visual Fugue.)

I notice Graham Petrie died recently (RIP). A shame he didn't do more commentaries. I was reminded, when we talked about US directors in Europe in the 1960s recently, in the book thread, of his "Hollywood Destinies", about Euro directors in Hollywood in the 1920s. Good stuff. Of course, Tarkovsky had made a serious film industry switch of his own, with Nostalghia.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3460 Post by domino harvey » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:55 pm

Calvin wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 3:07 pm
I don't remember this ever being announced as forthcoming but Kino quietly put out Ophuls' Sans Lendemain on Blu-Ray with an Adrian Martin commentary
I haven't listened to the commentary yet, but I thought this film was terrific and seems to be quite overlooked in Ophuls' filmography. The genius of the film is in not exaggerating the melodrama. Indeed, there are no real "villains" in the film, and even the "bad" guys seem realistic and not particularly malicious, just pragmatic. But that doesn't matter when you are suicidally depressed, and it makes the inevitable tragic ending feel earned in a way this kind of thing rarely does. Highly recommended!

nicolas

#3461 Post by nicolas » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:38 pm

Just wanted to remind everyone that Kino’s Nostalghia UHD is currently $14.99 on Amazon. Demand is huge at the price, insanely even skyrocketing the UHD to Amazon’s number one spot. This price is now online for a few days already, so hardly a mistake. Should this be the intention, then it paid off big time for more Tarkovsky in 4K and international, non Hollywood-films as well. https://www.amazon.com/Nostalghia-4KUHD ... B0CV62HQ24

FrauBlucher

#3462 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:08 pm

Coming April 23rd on 4KUHD and Blu-ray!

NOSTALGHIA (1983)
Directed by Andrei Tarkovsky
Starring Oleg Yankovsky, Erland Josephson, Domiziana Giordano

DISC 1 (4KUHD):
*New UHD SDR master by the Centro Sperimentale di Cinematografia - Cineteca Nazionale - from a 4K scan of the original film negative
*Audio commentary by film historian Daniel Bird
*Triple-layered UHD100 Disc
*Optional English subtitles

DISC 2 (Blu-ray)
*New HD master from a 4K scan of the original film negative
*Audio commentary by film historian Daniel Bird
*Interview with Director of Photography Giuseppe Lanci
*Voyage in Time (1983 behind-the-scenes documentary)
*Re-Release Trailer
*Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
*Optional English subtitles

Color 126 minutes 1.66:1 Not Rated
Andrei Tarkovsky explained that in Russian the word “nostalghia” conveys “the love for your homeland and the melancholy that arises from being far away.” This debilitating form of homesickness is embodied in the film by Andrei (Oleg Yankovsky, The Mirror), a Russian intellectual doing research in Italy. He becomes obsessed with the Botticelli-like beauty of his translator Eugenia (Domiziana Giordano), as well as with the apocalyptic ramblings of a self-destructive wanderer named Domenico (Erland Josephson, The Sacrifice). Written with frequent Michelangelo Antonioni collaborator Tonino Guerra (L’Avventura) and newly restored in 4K from the original camera negative, Nostalghia is a mystical and mysterious collision of East and West, shot with the tactile beauty that only Tarkovsky can provide. As J. Hoberman wrote, “Nostalghia is not so much a movie as a place to inhabit for two hours.”

captveg

#3463 Post by captveg » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:16 pm

Vitagraph Comedies details:
SpoilerShow
DISC ONE
Vitagraph Comedies, Part One (2024, 13 min.) Video introduction featuring interviews with Rob Farr, Lynanne Schweighofer, Rob Stone, and George Willeman.
The Disintegrated Convict (1907, 6 min.) Music by Andrew Earle Simpson.
The Boy, the Bust, and the Bath (1907, 6 min.) Featuring Florence Lawrence. Music by Qingye Wu.
Get Me a Step-Ladder (1908, 3 min.) Music by Dana Reason.
The New Stenographer (1911, 12 min.) Featuring Maurice Costello, Florence Lawrence. Music by Ben Model.
The Lovesick Maidens of Cuddleton (1912, 12 min.) Featuring Earle Williams, Edith Storey, John Bunny. Music by Andrew Earle Simpson.
A Regiment of Two (1913, 28 min.) Featuring Sidney Drew. Music by Chris Rorrer and Daniel Mandrychenko.
Jane’s Bashful Hero (1916, 15 min.) Featuring Edith Storey. Music by Teil Buck.
The Egyptian Mummy (1913, 15 min.) Featuring Lee Beggs, Constance Talmadge, Billy Quirk. Music by Andrew Earle Simpson.
Sweeney’s Christmas Bird (1914, 14 min.) Featuring Hughie Mack, Flora Finch. Music by Liz Magnes.
A Case of Eugenics (1915, 11 min.) Featuring Mr. and Mrs. Sidney Drew. Music by Esin Aydingoz.
Auntie’s Portrait (1915, 13 min.) Featuring Mr. and Mrs. Sidney Drew. Music by Chris Lock.
Jane Was Worth It (1915, 28 min.) Featuring Edith Storey. Music by Ben Model.
Mr. Jack Trifles (1916, 14 min.) Featuring Frank Daniels. Music by Don Ross.
Captain Jinks’ Baby (1917, 12 min.) Featuring Frank Daniels. Music by Ivanna Cuesta Gonzalez.
Captain Jinks’ Cure (1917, 12 min.) Featuring Frank Daniels. Music by Annette Johnson.
Damsels and Dandies (1919, 15 min.) Featuring Earl Montgomery and Joe Rock. Music by Ben Model.

DISC TWO
Vitagraph Comedies, Part Two (2024, 7 min.) Video introduction featuring Rob Farr, Lynanne Schweighofer, Rob Stone, and George Willeman.
The Flat Dwellers: Or, The House of Too Much Trouble (1907, 6 min.) Music by Shane Prediville.
The Haunted Rocker (1912, 8 min.) Featuring George Ober, Clara Kimball Young. Music by Peter Valsamis.
Kitty and the Cowboys (1911, 11 min.) Featuring John Bunny. Music by Ben Model.
In the Clutches of a Vapor Bath (1911, 7 min.) Featuring John Bunny. Music by Andrew Earle Simpson.
The Deceivers (1915, 13 min.) Featuring Mr. and Mrs. Sidney Drew. Music by Liz Magnes.
His Wife Knew About It (1916, 14 min.) Featuring Mr. and Mrs. Sidney Drew. Music by Linda Chase.
A Horseshoe for Luck (1914, 13 min.) Featuring Sidney Drew. Music by Don Ross.
The Professional Scapegoat (1914, 14 min.) Featuring Mr. and Mrs. Sidney Drew. Music by Violin Noir.
Beautiful Thoughts (1915, 11 min.) Featuring Mr. and Mrs. Sidney Drew. Music by Dana Reason.
Boobley’s Baby (1915, 14 min.) Featuring Mr. and Mrs. Sidney Drew. Music by Renée T. Coulombe.
A Safe Investment (1915, 14 min.) Featuring Mr. and Mrs. Sidney Drew. Music by Ben Model.
A Telegraphic Tangle (1916, 13 min.) Featuring Mr. and Mrs. Sidney Drew. Music by Violin Noir.
Bullies and Bullets (1917, 13 min.) Featuring Hughie Mack, Patsy De Forest. Music by Dana Reason.
Captain Jinks’ Evolution (1916, 12 min.) Featuring Frank Daniels. Music by Caterina Maddalena Barbieri.
Captain Jinks, the Cobbler (1916, 12 min.) Featuring Frank Daniels. Music by Dylan Talisien.
A Little Ouija Work (1918, 13 min.) Featuring Edward Earle, Agnes Ayres. Music by Ben Model.
Mr. Jack Ducks the Alimony (1916, 13 min.) Featuring Frank Daniels. Music by Violin Noir.
Mr. Jack, the Hash Magnate (1916, 12 min.) Featuring Frank Daniels. Music by Chris Rorrer and Daniel Mandrychenko.

DISC THREE
Vitagraph Comedies, Part Three (2024, 4 min.) Video introduction featuring Rob Farr, Lynanne Schweighofer, Rob Stone, and George Willeman.
Hindoos and Hazards (1918, 10 min.) Featuring Larry Semon. Music by Camila Cortina Bello.
The Grocery Clerk (1919, 27 min.) Featuring Larry Semon. Music by José María Serralde Ruiz.
The Head Waiter (1919, 19 min.) Featuring Larry Semon. Musi by Gonca Feride Varol.
School Days (1920, 25 min.) Featuring Larry Semon. Music by Violin Noir.
The Bell Hop (1921, 29 min.) Featuring Larry Semon. Music by Peter Valsamis.
The Sawmill (1922, 26 min.) Featuring Larry Semon. Music by Karen Majewicz.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3464 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:33 pm

William Klein’s the French is coming and is “presented by Wes Anderson”

MichaelB

#3465 Post by MichaelB » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:14 am

Maltic

#3466 Post by Maltic » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:40 pm

Well done, I had to click to figure out which title was referred to.
Bird is one of my favorite academic commentarists and he's as erudite and observant as ever here.

Is this the preferred nomenclature on Beaver? Good as any, I guess

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3467 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:32 pm

Surely combeavarists would be more apt?

Roscoe

#3468 Post by Roscoe » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:49 pm

Wow -- not for the first time I've wondered what's going on. I saw the recent restoration of NOSTALGHIA at FIlm Forum, and I didn't sit there thinking "Damn that's GREEN!" as I did looking at the screen caps on Beaver. Is it some weird alchemy that happens in the move from restoration to disc?

I mean. Damn, that's just GREEN.

denti alligator

#3469 Post by denti alligator » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:42 pm

Any word on Nostalghia, besides the green?

jsteffe

#3470 Post by jsteffe » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:42 pm

I received the disc, and I greatly appreciate that the film is available in 4K, in a new restoration. I wish it were HDR, but it looks fine to me in SDR, with lots of detail in the image. I haven't seen a print in many years, but it appears that Giuseppe Lanci carefully tried to convey the film's desaturated color scheme, including the black-and-white footage printed on color stock or rendered in sepia. From what I can tell, the abundant greenish elements are a deliberate part of the film's lighting and production design. It's part of a deliberate, controlled color scheme that emphasizes greens and browns--including the green and brown glass bottles. There are scenes with the bluish-green lighting (moonlight?), others that mix greenish and normal lighting, and others that have more of a normal white color balance. And there is of course the steam bath, the patina on the equestrian statue and some of the old walls, various costume choices, etc. I'd like to see this projected on a DCP someday.

denti alligator

#3471 Post by denti alligator » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:47 pm

Good to hear, thanks.

Roscoe

#3472 Post by Roscoe » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:35 pm

The 4K looks good, mainly, except for the really bizarrely abundant teal. About 17 minutes in, Andrei's cigarette smoke is straight up blue -- it just looks bizarre, as in "what the fuck is in that cigarette?" Similarly, the light in the bathroom a few moments later has a good deal of teal in it. I compared the same moments in the old Blu-Ray, and there's none of that. Other scenes looked fine in 4k, as far as I could make out, I haven't done a full re-watch.

I saw this restoration at Film Forum, and cannot say that I remember this much blue going on. I can't imagine I'd have not spotted this, especially the cigarette smoke. It is really badly noticeable. Do I need to reconfigure the color settings on my TV? But it looks fine on the old Blu-Ray. Oh for fuck's sake.

I'll be holding on to the old Blu-Ray.