American Genre Film Archive (AGFA)

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
ianthemovie

Re: American Genre Film Archive (AGFA)

#76 Post by ianthemovie » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:21 am

I saw on Twitter that Liz Purchell is now officially working at AGFA, which is great news! I wonder if there's any chance AGFA could put out Glen or Glenda? in the near future. Liz has said it's one of her favorite movies and this would be a great opportunity for a proper Blu-ray release to finally happen.

agnamaracs

#77 Post by agnamaracs » Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:08 pm

All of Wood's films could use a proper restoration/preservation.

In other news, AGFA is offering a DCP of The Movie Orgy. It'll probably never get a home release because of reasons, but I'm at least glad it's preserved.

What A Disgrace

#78 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:34 pm

I keep forgetting that I live in a world where there are no Ed Wood films on blu-ray.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#79 Post by swo17 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:37 pm

There are several?

Penti Mento

#80 Post by Penti Mento » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:33 pm

agnamaracs wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:08 pm
In other news, AGFA is offering a DCP of The Movie Orgy. It'll probably never get a home release because of reasons, but I'm at least glad it's preserved.
If Los Angeles Plays Itself can get a release, why not this? Granted, Andersen's film could more reasonably be considered "fair use" as some kind of academic exercise, what with the droning narration on top of the images.

And which version/length is the DCP? The one on archive.org is 4:56:58

What A Disgrace

#81 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:38 pm

swo17 wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:37 pm
There are several?
Well, I'd sure like to find them! I know Take It Out In Trade was released by AGFA, but it is OOP.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#82 Post by swo17 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:59 pm

Ah, didn't realize. There's also Plan 9 as well as several films he wrote: The Violent Years, Fugitive Girls, and Orgy of the Dead, the latter of which at least is still available on Vinegar Syndrome's website

dwk

#83 Post by dwk » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:35 am

Daniel Griffith, who runs the special features company Ballyhoo Motion Pictures, replied to an April Fools joke about Criterion releasing an Ed Wood set with the following tweet
Something like this is going to happen, just not from Criterion. Be patient.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#84 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:34 am

Penti Mento wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:33 pm
And which version/length is the DCP? The one on archive.org is 4:56:58
It’s a slightly shorter version at almost four hours. It’s actually a slight edit on the leaked version online and that played at the New Beverly in 2008. This version was edited in standard definition, so there’s a good hour of the DCP that’s clearly sourced from the DVD, while the rest is an HD scan of the 16mm materials.

ianthemovie

#85 Post by ianthemovie » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:51 am

According to Liz Purchell's Twitter, AGFA is now handling distribution for the Peter Berlin film That Boy! and most of the Wakefield Poole films (Bible!, Take One, Bijou, and Boys in the Sand), with That Boy! and Boys being advertised as new scans and restorations. Hopefully that means we'll see AGFA put these out on Blu-ray soon. I could see them doing a nice box set for the Poole films.

Liz also posted a couple of pictures a while back of materials related to Glen or Glenda?, for what that's worth...

senseabove

#86 Post by senseabove » Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:28 am

ianthemovie wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:51 am
According to Liz Purchell's Twitter, AGFA is now handling distribution for the Peter Berlin film That Boy! and most of the Wakefield Poole films (Bible!, Take One, Bijou, and Boys in the Sand), with That Boy! and Boys being advertised as new scans and restorations. Hopefully that means we'll see AGFA put these out on Blu-ray soon. I could see them doing a nice box set for the Poole films.
Alas, the AskAnyBuddy IG account replies “theatrical only” when someone asked about a physical release.

ianthemovie

#87 Post by ianthemovie » Wed May 10, 2023 10:35 am

Bret Berg of AGFA was recently a guest on the Screen Slate podcast and teased a few upcoming releases, though I think most of these have already been rumored to be coming:

- at least one, possibly several, films by Jon Moritsugu (I'm assuming Terminal USA)
- The Rubber Gun from CIP
- another volume of The AGFA Trailer Horror Show
- Messiah of Evil (unclear whether AGFA will be handling theatrical distribution of this, a disc release, or both)

yoloswegmaster

#88 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed May 10, 2023 10:38 am

ianthemovie wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 10:35 am
- Messiah of Evil (unclear whether AGFA will be handling theatrical distribution of this, a disc release, or both)
It has to be theatrical distribution as Radiance is releasing this on disc in the US/UK/CA.

ianthemovie

#89 Post by ianthemovie » Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:26 pm

AGFA's announcements for this month include new editions of two of Ed Wood's films, Take It Out In Trade and The Violent Years...was the latter previously released by them? I also can't tell if Take It Out in Trade has anything new or different other than a new cover and slipcover. Hopefully the (re)launch of these titles with matching cover art means that more of Wood's films will be coming soon...

TechnicolorAcid

#90 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:11 pm

ianthemovie wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:26 pm
AGFA's announcements for this month include new editions of two of Ed Wood's films, Take It Out In Trade and The Violent Years...was the latter previously released by them? I also can't tell if Take It Out in Trade has anything new or different other than a new cover and slipcover. Hopefully the (re)launch of these titles with matching cover art means that more of Wood's films will be coming soon...
The Violent Years was indeed previously released by them. Also btw, Gold Ninja Video, a company devoted to high quality releases of Public Domain films, has released a limited release of Night of the Ghouls (Revenge of the Dead) which comes with Jail Bait and Plan 9 in Standard Definition along a short film by him and a 2K restoration of his unsold pilot.

JPJ

#91 Post by JPJ » Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:57 am

The commentary track on The Violent Years is pretty amusing.There´s some interesting info nuggets of course but Rudolph Grey sounds like he´s literally falling asleep and even Frank Henenlotter,who´s normally a motormouth,seems bored.

Peacock

#92 Post by Peacock » Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:04 am

Great news! I recently almost spent a fortune on The Violent Years on eBay! Although I’m a little surprised these are coming back as I was under the impression Severin or someone were working on a big Ed Wood boxset from a teasing remark shared here or on blu-ray.com. But I guess if that is the case these two probably won’t be a part of that.

As for Gold Ninja Video they are great but they don’t release pressed Blu-rays, just stuff burnt on demand. They mentioned before rereleasing any successful titles as pressed disks but I’m not sure if that’s ever happened so far. I own their Ormond release and will probably hold off on the Wood in anticipation of it being part of this - possibly non existent - boxset that’s in the works!

ianthemovie

#93 Post by ianthemovie » Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:16 am

Peacock wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:04 am
I was under the impression Severin or someone were working on a big Ed Wood boxset from a teasing remark shared here or on blu-ray.com. But I guess if that is the case these two probably won’t be a part of that.
I had assumed the "someone" to be AGFA. I remember the teasing remark being ambiguous about whether they were working on an actual box set, or whether it was simply that the bulk of the films were being prepared for upcoming release. It looks like the matching slipcover art may be an attempt to unify the standalone titles as a collection.

beamish14

#94 Post by beamish14 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:03 pm

AGFA is theatrically distributing a number of Peter Medak’s films, including The Ruling Class, The Odd Job, and the very seldom screened or discussed oddity Negatives. Fingers crossed for a box set

TechnicolorAcid

#95 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:19 pm

beamish14 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:03 pm
AGFA is theatrically distributing a number of Peter Medak’s films, including The Ruling Class, The Odd Job, and the very seldom screened or discussed oddity Negatives. Fingers crossed for a box set
It says that Negatives and The Odd Job are Severin restorations so it’s possible that AGFA just has theatrical rights to it and not home video rights. Which makes sense give Severin did release Peter Medal’s The Changeling too on home video.