Artificial Eye / Curzon: Andrei Tarkovsky Collection

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Zot!

Re: Artificial Eye / Curzon Film World

#151 Post by Zot! » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:15 pm

Manny Karp wrote:
FrauBlucher wrote:Beaver> Solaris
Next up is Stalker. That will be very disappointing.
Fixed
Call me crazy but the brighter look of these titles really doesn't look too tragic to me at all. Do we think Kino might bring these to the US? I might wait to see how they fare.

FrauBlucher

#152 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:21 am

Cremildo

#153 Post by Cremildo » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:11 am

Stalker, by Beaver.

Tooze says it looks quite soft.

ALLCAPSAREBASTARDS

#154 Post by ALLCAPSAREBASTARDS » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:18 am

Cremildo wrote:Stalker, by Beaver.

Tooze says it looks quite soft.
Terrible. Not much else to say.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#155 Post by Drucker » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:21 am

Honestly, this doesn't look so bad to me. The print of Nostalghia I saw in theaters two years ago could hardly be described as sharp, and I would say comes reasonably close to resembling those screenshots.

fritz78

#156 Post by fritz78 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:35 am

Wow, this should be the final nail in the coffin of this collection. Terrible, just terrible in every respect.

MongooseCmr

#157 Post by MongooseCmr » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:06 pm

I could take the softness or the blue-ish tint separately but together it's a bit too much.

Donald Brown

#158 Post by Donald Brown » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:24 pm

The biggest problem is the gamma. The botched gamma gives the appearance of underexposed film. It lowers the contrast, which in turn lowers what's called apparent sharpness. This would appear sharper with proper gamma.

fritz78

#159 Post by fritz78 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:02 pm

I don't think improved gamma would make much of a difference. It looks like an incredible amount of (bad) grain reduction has been applied. You can see remnants of the original grain in some areas (usually the brighter ones) in the shots while they're completely gone in others (in the darker areas). The gamma error only heightens these blocky areas making them painfully obvious. If it wasn't for some shots still featuring finer grain, I'd even say it's a blow-up from some SD-source (which is not the case, though). This is a huge mess. It's basically a transfer nobody should have ever released.

feihong

#160 Post by feihong » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:37 pm

This looks as bad as the Japanese bluray. That disc goes back and forth between looking like a soft HD source in closeups and looking like a milky standard–def source in long shots.

Yakushima

#161 Post by Yakushima » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:05 pm

A huge disappointment. Whatever happened to the "beautiful new restoration" of the film? This looks even worse than some SD editions.

Moshrom

#162 Post by Moshrom » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:20 am

Yakushima wrote:A huge disappointment. Whatever happened to the "beautiful new restoration" of the film? This looks even worse than some SD editions.
None of these AE Tarkovskys appear to use the new Mosfilm restorations. The promotional restoration trailer Mosfilm released has Stalker--and the other films, too--looking quite different.

dda1996a

#163 Post by dda1996a » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:46 am

Moshrom wrote:
Yakushima wrote:A huge disappointment. Whatever happened to the "beautiful new restoration" of the film? This looks even worse than some SD editions.
None of these AE Tarkovskys appear to use the new Mosfilm restorations. The promotional restoration trailer Mosfilm released has Stalker--and the other films, too--looking quite different.
Anyone has info if any company will release the new restorations? And are any of the AE tarkkovskys worth buying?

Oedipax

#164 Post by Oedipax » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:21 pm

Time to cancel those Stalker pre-orders, everybody. Criterion to the rescue soon, hopefully!

Zot!

#165 Post by Zot! » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:45 pm

I must have missed something, I thought this was still with Kino...?

jedgeco

#166 Post by jedgeco » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:56 pm

Zot! wrote:I must have missed something, I thought this was still with Kino...?
Someone on the bluray.com forum posted this, which he says he received as a response from Mosfilm:
Dear Sir,

The materials of the Mosfilm restorations were provided to Criterion Collection
in the frame of the licence granted to them for the films directed by Andrey Tarkovsky.

Best regards,

Elena Orel
International Relations and Distribution Dept.
Mosfilm Cinema Concern

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#167 Post by Drucker » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:19 pm

Oedipax wrote:Time to cancel those Stalker pre-orders, everybody. Criterion to the rescue soon, hopefully!
Dammit. I locked in the really cheap pre-order price and have never seen the film. Decisions decisions.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#168 Post by swo17 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:26 pm

Well you won't regret owning the film in some form. If nothing else, it's great to have on to make people think you're watching something classy.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#169 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:36 pm

"Hmm... bald dudes walking around some rando abandoned building in a flood zone, now that's classy shit"

rapta

#170 Post by rapta » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:41 pm

Drucker wrote:
Oedipax wrote:Time to cancel those Stalker pre-orders, everybody. Criterion to the rescue soon, hopefully!
Dammit. I locked in the really cheap pre-order price and have never seen the film. Decisions decisions.
I assume you mean the £8-something Amazon pre-order price? In which case it might be worth getting, since it does look better than the DVD. However, I'm personally just gonna wait for either the box set (after 6 months or so when it'll be about £35) or get them separately once they're cheaper (all AE titles seem to drop to about £6-7 after a few months).

Or if you're region free, just wait for the Criterion! You could always keep your Amazon pre-order, and then sell it - you're bound to get your money back. In fact I wish I'd kept my Amazon pre-orders (I cancelled them all when I decided I'd wait for the box set).

chatterjees

#171 Post by chatterjees » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:58 pm

This is much better than the DVD version. I am also waiting for AE box set to go up for pre-order. It will be worth getting. Just out of curiosity, when did Criterion confirmed Stalker?

Sorry, I see the copy of the email now. That's a big confirmation, I guess.

Manny Karp

#172 Post by Manny Karp » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:05 pm

The question is: How long until CC release their disc? If it's already streaming on Filmstruck, with an acceptable image, then it must be more or less ready?

Zot!

#173 Post by Zot! » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:40 pm

Wait so criterion is streaming Stalker right now? I'm so confused. That bluray.com thread posted earlier makes no specific mention of Stalker going to Criterion. Just that Mosfilm provided some Tarkovsky masters to them. Which could mean Solaris and Ivan.

fritz78

#174 Post by fritz78 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:59 am

If we're out of luck, Criterion only has streaming rights for the Tarkovskys. I hope they could also secure the physical media rights for these titles as these are/would be quintessential Criterion releases.

FrauBlucher

#175 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:38 am