Signal One Entertainment

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
MichaelB

Signal One Entertainment

#1 Post by MichaelB » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:06 pm

This new British label has been making a bit of a splash with its inaugural Blu-ray releases - they're all from the MGM catalogue so far, but their encodes seem to be a cut above the US equivalents (and the sound slippage issue on the Kino On the Beach has been fixed), and they've also made an effort to secure (and create) decent extras.

The Beev has full specs for and screengrabs from:

The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane (Nicolas Gessner, 1976)
On the Beach (Stanley Kramer, 1959)
Hidden Agenda (Ken Loach, 1990)
Last Embrace (Jonathan Demme, 1979)
River's Edge (Tim Hunter, 1986)

Upcoming releases include Cherry 2000, Doc, Gas-s-s-s, The Honey Pot, Mr Majestyk and The Trip.
Last edited by MichaelB on Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

nitin

Re: Signal One Entertainment

#2 Post by nitin » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:56 am

is David M encoding for them? The encoding on Last Embrace for example looks excellent compared to the Kino.

MichaelB

#3 Post by MichaelB » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:43 am

I believe he is.

MichaelB

#4 Post by MichaelB » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:05 am

Signal One has just announced their early 2016 releases:
January 4th will see the release of three titles that were previously scheduled for late 2015: THE TRIP, GAS-S-S-S
and MR MAJESTYK. Delayed to allow time for more extras to be produced, these classics of American cinema are
now to be released in editions which are bursting at the seams with great bonus features, as follows:

THE TRIP (Roger Corman, 1968)
- High Definition transfer
- Audio commentary with director Roger Corman
- Deleted prologue (with optional director commentary)
- Alternative ending (with optional director commentary)
- Tune In, Trip Out (2003): documentary featuring interviews with the cast and crew of The Trip
- Allen Daviau, ASC on Psychedelic Film Effects (2003): interview with the celebrated cinematographer
- Psychedelic Light Box (Film effects montage)
- Poster and stills gallery
- Original theatrical trailer

GAS-S-S-S (Roger Corman, 1970)
- The Guardian Interview with director Roger Corman (1970): archival interview conducted the day after work
was completed on Gas-s-s-s
- The Guardian Interview with director Roger Corman (1991): the legendary director returns to the NFT to discuss
his career
- Counter-Culture Corman (2015): newly-produced documentary featuring interviews with Roger Corman, Ted
Newsom and Chris Poggiali
- Lobby cards, press book and stills gallery

MR MAJESTYK (Richard Fleischer, 1974)
- Colorado Chic (2015): newly-filmed interview with actress Lee Purcell
- Colorado Cool (2015): newly-filmed interview with cinematographer Richard H. Kline
- Audio commentary with Bronson and Fleischer expert Paul Talbot, author of Bronson's Loose!: The Making of
the Death Wish Films
- Lobby cards, posters and stills gallery

On February 8th, Signal One presents Frank Perry's gritty revisionist western DOC (1971), starring Stacy Keach
and Faye Dunaway, on Blu-ray for the very first time. Also delayed to allow more time to create new extra
features, final specs for this title are not yet ready to be announced, but it will include an archival interview with
Faye Dunaway in conversation with critic Alexander Walker, as well as the film's rare theatrical trailer.

Our first all-new announcement for February is the Blu-ray premiere of Richard Fleischer's dark and compelling
thriller, COMPULSION (1959). This stylish and disturbing film stars Dean Stockwell and Bradford Dillman as the
students who commit a murder in cold blood, and it features a stand-out performance from cinema legend Orson
Welles as the criminal defence lawyer who takes on their case.

Confirmed extras for COMPULSION are as follows:
- Richard Fleischer Guardian Interview (1981, 93 mins, audio only): the great director discusses his career after a
screening of Compulsion
- Richard Fleischer Guardian Interview (1994, 77 mins): Fleischer returns to the NFT for this filmed interview
- Orson Welles in the Courtroom Scene from Compulsion (1959): reproduction of the original 7" vinyl recording

Then, on March 7th, Signal One will release two more classics on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK:
Bob Rafelson's tightly-plotted thriller BLACK WIDOW (1987), starring Theresa Russell and Debra Winger; and
Philip D'Antoni's action-packed crime drama THE SEVEN-UPS (1973), with Roy Scheider. Both discs are currently
in production, and full specs will be announced early in the new year.

rapta

#5 Post by rapta » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:10 pm

Very happy about The Seven-Ups, and Black Widow looks great fun too.

Compulsion was a Second Sight release on DVD...I wonder if this means the rights to some of their other excellent DVD titles have lapsed? They've released some excellent titles in the past that could do with Blu-ray upgrades (The Colour of Pomegranates, Wise Blood, The Panic in Needle Park, The Cars That Ate Paris etc). Anyway, I'm definitely down for that one too.

Signal One are on a roll at the moment. I'm planning on getting Last Embrace next, and definitely will get The Seven-Ups (it's clear I'm a Roy Scheider fan). Very happy with the quality so far, and they're all interesting titles that might have gone overlooked by more notorious UK labels.

Signal One Ent

#6 Post by Signal One Ent » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:54 am

Seeing that MichaelB has very kindly posted a number of DVD Beaver reviews (above), I thought I would take the opportunity to highlight Gary's latest reviews for today's new release titles:

Cherry 2000 (Steve De Jarnatt, 1987)
The Honey Pot (Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 1967)

Thanks for looking!

Signal One Ent

#7 Post by Signal One Ent » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:59 am

I'm delighted to say that Nathaniel somehow found the time to review our new year Corman offerings over the holiday period:

The Trip

Gas-s-s-s!

Wishing you all a happy new year!

Signal One Ent

#8 Post by Signal One Ent » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:30 am

And here's Nathaniel's New Year's Eve review of MR MAJESTYK.

Signal One Ent

#9 Post by Signal One Ent » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:20 pm

New reviews from the nice people at DVD Compare:

The Trip

Mr. Majestyk

Signal One Ent

February 29 new release

#10 Post by Signal One Ent » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:28 am

COMPULSION (Richard Fleischer, 1959):
  • Brand new 4K restoration
    The Guardian Interview with Richard Fleischer (1981, 93 mins, audio only): the award-winning director discusses his career after a screening of Compulsion
    The Guardian Interview with Richard Fleischer (1994, 77 mins): Fleischer returns to the NFT for this filmed interview
    Orson Welles in the Courtroom Scene from Compulsion (1959, audio only): reproduction of the original 7" vinyl recording
    Lobby cards, posters, press book and stills gallery
    Original theatrical trailer
    Optional DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
    HoH subtitles on the feature and trailer
DOC (Frank Perry, 1971):
  • High Definition transfer
    Truth Be Told (2015, 20 mins): new interview with award-winning actor Stacy Keach
    The Guardian Interview with Faye Dunaway (1980, 72 mins, audio only): the star of Doc discusses her career with critic Alexander Walker
    Outside the System (2015, 25 mins): new interview with celebrated editor Alan Heim
    New audio commentary with Western writer and cinema expert C. Courtney Joyner
    Lobby cards, posters and stills gallery
    Theatrical trailer (HD)
    HoH subtitles on the feature and trailer

Signal One Ent

7 March new release

#11 Post by Signal One Ent » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:31 am

BLACK WIDOW (Bob Rafelson, 1987):
  • High Definition transfer
    The Predator and Her Prey (2016, 27 mins): revealing new interview with writer Ronald Bass
    Bright Colours, Deep Blacks (2016, 29 mins): assistant cameraman Conrad W. Hall on the visual style of Black Widow
    Audio commentary with film historians Julie Kirgo and Nick Redman
    Lobby cards, poster and stills gallery
    Original theatrical trailer (HD)
    4 x US TV spots (HD)
    HoH subtitles on the feature, trailer and TV spots

What A Disgrace

#12 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:51 pm

Wow, Doc got a huge upgrade, and everything else you've released looks stellar as well. You guys are the next big thing.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#13 Post by tenia » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:16 pm

Crap, another UK label that'll make my wallet go dry. :cry:

HerrSchreck

#14 Post by HerrSchreck » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:55 pm

A label to keep an eye on, it seems. Some nice stuff here. Compulsion, The Seven Ups (much of it shot all around the Bronx near--but not exactly in--my neighborhood), Majestyk... nice.

What A Disgrace

#15 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:14 pm

Any chance we'll get word of their Q2 releases soon? I am very eager to see what is to come.

Signal One Ent

"DOC" review

#16 Post by Signal One Ent » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:27 am

Hi all,

Just flagging Gary's review of Doc over at DVD Beaver.

He says some lovely things about the transfer and the extras, which is most gratifying.

For my part, I'd like to extend a special thanks to C. Courtney Joyner for his great commentary. Definitely make time to listen to that if you're at all interested in this film.

More news from us before too long... Thanks for your continued support!

rapta

#17 Post by rapta » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:59 am

Saw that review the other day, and it certainly looks very nice and the extras sound engaging. Will go well alongside Arrow's My Darling Clementine/Frontier Marshall...in fact, both releases together would make for a great triple bill!

Looking forward to seeing what Compulsion is like, so hope a review pops up soon enough. Any news on the final release date for The Seven-Ups, as well as any extras? I noticed HMV have it set for April 25th now - is this correct?

Can't wait to hear what you have lined up for the rest of the year!

Signal One Ent

#18 Post by Signal One Ent » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:43 am

rapta wrote:Any news on the final release date for The Seven-Ups, as well as any extras? I noticed HMV have it set for April 25th now - is this correct?
Sorry for delayed response to this, rapta.

Yes, I'm pulling out all the stops to hold this date.

nitin

#19 Post by nitin » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:10 am

When can we expect new announcements?

Signal One Ent

#20 Post by Signal One Ent » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:14 am

nitin wrote:When can we expect new announcements?
I've been working on a big deal with one of the studios for the longest time now, so I sincerely hope that the answer will be "soon".

In the meantime, I can only apologise that it's taking so long!

rapta

#21 Post by rapta » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:29 am

Signal One Ent wrote:
rapta wrote:Any news on the final release date for The Seven-Ups, as well as any extras? I noticed HMV have it set for April 25th now - is this correct?
Sorry for delayed response to this, rapta.

Yes, I'm pulling out all the stops to hold this date.
Glad to hear it! Particularly looking forward to that one. :)
Signal One Ent wrote:
nitin wrote:When can we expect new announcements?
I've been working on a big deal with one of the studios for the longest time now, so I sincerely hope that the answer will be "soon".

In the meantime, I can only apologise that it's taking so long!
Interesting...the same studio you've been releasing stuff from so far (MGM), or a different one?

Signal One Ent

#22 Post by Signal One Ent » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:40 am

rapta wrote:Interesting...the same studio you've been releasing stuff from so far (MGM), or a different one?
I'm going to keep schtum for now, if you don't mind. But, just as soon as the deal's inked, I'll spill a few beans...

nitin

#23 Post by nitin » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:20 am

excellent!

rapta

#24 Post by rapta » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:20 pm

Signal One Ent wrote:
rapta wrote:Interesting...the same studio you've been releasing stuff from so far (MGM), or a different one?
I'm going to keep schtum for now, if you don't mind. But, just as soon as the deal's inked, I'll spill a few beans...
Oo err, sounds good!

Signal One Ent

Compulsion review

#25 Post by Signal One Ent » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:02 pm

I'm delighted to say that Gary gives our Compulsion Blu-ray a rave review over at DVD Beaver!

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_ ... lu-ray.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;