Strand Releasing

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
_shadow_

Strand Releasing

#1 Post by _shadow_ » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:06 pm

Strand Releasing

Starting a main thread for Strand as all the posts about previous releases start with "I thought there was a Strand thread but posting here as there's not", and as Strand's been upping their BD game lately.

I've been looking forward for months to their release of "Love is the Devil", especially once they confirmed on Facebook that it would have lossless audio (unlike "Stranger by the Lake", which was the one drawback to that release).

The BD of LITD definitely stands as the strongest home video presentation of the film, in comparison to Strand's own DVD from the dark ages and the UK Artificial Eye and BFI DVDs (the BFI DVD being windowboxed for no apparent reason). Strand has even ported over the BFI commentary (though not the "Colony" featurette on interview with producers that was also on that disc) as a special feature, which is nice. Unfortunately, there's at least one minor issue, as at 33 minutes in, a visible color-correction power window frame appears over Jacobi's face as he's looking in the mirror. It only shows up on the first appearance of this shot, so only for a few seconds, but it's distracting. I also suspect the scene introducing Craig is brighter than it should be - it's supposed to be night but it's so bright that he doesn't seem to need his flashlight. I checked it against the AE release, which is the only one I currently have, and the scene is a bit darker there, and it plays more convincingly as night. Caveats aside, it's still the best available release.

DVD Beaver assessment.

For comparison to the third screenshot on DVD Beaver, here's the same scene from earlier DVDs (not an exact frame match - I made these a few years ago):

Strand DVD:

Artificial Eye DVD:

BFI DVD:

Boosmahn

Re: Strand Releasing

#2 Post by Boosmahn » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:12 am

Reviving this thread to give a quick heads-up:

The Mysterious Skin Blu-ray might be going OOP. Amazon, Best Buy, Target, Walmart, B&N, and Deep Discount all list it as backordered/unavailable, and most eBay listings are gone. Granted, this is pure speculation on my part: it could simply be going through a second printing.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3 Post by domino harvey » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:20 pm

30 directors, including Fatih Akin, Gregg Araki, Catherine Breillat, Ira Sachs, John Waters, and Apichatpong Weerasethakul, have contributed segments to an anthology film celebrating Strand's 30th anniversary

senseabove

#4 Post by senseabove » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:29 pm

And four of them, by Brady Corbet, Catherine Breillat, Apichatpong Weerasethakul, and Cindy Sherman, are streaming at https://www.lecinemaclub.com/

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5 Post by domino harvey » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:31 pm

Today's Friday, so those will probably only be up for a few more hours, FYI

The Fanciful Norwegian

#6 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:35 pm

They just went up today.

senseabove

#7 Post by senseabove » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:53 pm

Turns out the whole thing is on the Criterion Channel anyway: https://www.criterionchannel.com/30-30- ... -releasing

lzx

#8 Post by lzx » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:11 am

As one might expect, it's overall a mixed bag (Guiraudie's segment amounts to... a The Lighthouse-inspired dick joke?), but there are gems scattered throughout. Breillat's very brief piece is surprisingly tender, while Schamus managed to cram quite a bit of insight alongside some beautifully-composed photographs into three minutes. The Grindr segment executes a somewhat tired trope very efficiently and adorably, and the Potemkin homage is hilarious. And John Waters and Bruce LaBruce are great just doing what they do. (Read the end credits for fun Easter eggs)

Aunt Peg

#10 Post by Aunt Peg » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:55 am

I don't want to begrudge any film a Blu Ray release but with Strand's extensive back catalogue filled with some real gems it's just a shame that some other Strand titles aren't being released as well.

Aunt Peg

#11 Post by Aunt Peg » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:01 am

Strand Releasing released Francois Ozon's Peter von Kant the other day.