Pathe

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Perkins Cobb

Re: Pathe

#51 Post by Perkins Cobb » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:55 pm

tenia wrote:I have all sept Pathé releases and they all have Eng subs for the movie.
Which are these, that haven't been mentioned above? Duvivier's La fête à Henriette sounds interesting. Not sure I'm finding all of them though.

L.A.

#52 Post by L.A. » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:34 pm

Les Trois Mousquetaires (1953) and Le Capitan (1960) (both directed by André Hunebelle) coming on Nov. 15th. If English subs, then yes!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#53 Post by tenia » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:40 pm

Perkins Cobb wrote:
tenia wrote:I have all sept Pathé releases and they all have Eng subs for the movie.
Which are these, that haven't been mentioned above? Duvivier's La fête à Henriette sounds interesting. Not sure I'm finding all of them though.
It's :
La fête à Henriette (Duvivier)
Germinal (Berri)
Jean de Florette + Manon des Sources (Berri)

If anybody's interested, I found Germinal to be an absolutely garbage movie. It lasts 2h40 but is one of the flattest and most rigid movie I ever saw to the point that despite Germinal being adequately long to fill 2h40, at the end, it feels like nothing happens. Every single actor seems to have a bet going on as to who is going to play its part with the least expression on their face (Miou Miou wins) and the mise-en-scène itself is lazy as hell. Even when all hell break loose in the end, you'd think all the characters are high on ether or something.

Jack Phillips

#54 Post by Jack Phillips » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:05 pm

tenia wrote:
Perkins Cobb wrote:
It's :
La fête à Henriette (Duvivier)
Germinal (Berri)
Jean de Florette + Manon des Sources (Berri)

If anybody's interested, I found Germinal to be an absolutely garbage movie. It lasts 2h40 but is one of the flattest and most rigid movie I ever saw to the point that despite Germinal being adequately long to fill 2h40, at the end, it feels like nothing happens. Every single actor seems to have a bet going on as to who is going to play its part with the least expression on their face (Miou Miou wins) and the mise-en-scène itself is lazy as hell. Even when all hell break loose in the end, you'd think all the characters are high on ether or something.
Yeah, I haven't seen the film since my LD days, but I remember not liking it much. I can't remember why specifically. I'm pretty sure the scenes in the mine were all over lit, though.

La fête à Henriette is one of my favorite French films, so now that I know the new disc has English subs I'll be sure to get it. Paris When It Sizzles was the English language remake--but you shouldn't hold that against it.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#55 Post by swo17 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:12 pm

Paris When It Sizzles is great though?

Jack Phillips

#56 Post by Jack Phillips » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:17 pm

swo17 wrote:Paris When It Sizzles is great though?
Not compared to the original.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#57 Post by tenia » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:48 am

All 6 November releases have Eng subtitles for the main features. This includes Clouzot's Miquette et sa mère.

L.A.

#58 Post by L.A. » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:18 am

The first time André Hunebelle’s French releases are with EN subs, I presume.

Finch

#59 Post by Finch » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:32 am

What are the other three November titles? I only see the two Hunebelles and the Cluzot mentioned.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#60 Post by tenia » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:03 am

Finch wrote:What are the other three November titles? I only see the two Hunebelles and the Cluzot mentioned.
3 Coluche movies : Inspecteur la bavure, Banzai & La femme de mon pote.
L.A. wrote:The first time André Hunebelle’s French releases are with EN subs, I presume.
I think so, yes. 1st time on BD, anyway.

L.A.

#61 Post by L.A. » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:46 am

tenia wrote:
L.A. wrote:The first time André Hunebelle’s French releases are with EN subs, I presume.
I think so, yes. 1st time on BD, anyway.
Thanks for the info. The current Blu of Le Bossu is in French only and the decade old collector’s edition DVD didn’t have subs either if I recall. Hopefully they’ll release an English-friendly edition someday.

Another thing I sincerely hope from Gaumont (and Pathe) is subtitling the extras as well.

Finch

#62 Post by Finch » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:55 pm

tenia wrote:3 Coluche movies : Inspecteur la bavure, Banzai & La femme de mon pote.
Thanks, tenia.

Perkins Cobb

#63 Post by Perkins Cobb » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:25 pm

Premier de cordée aka Storm Over the Mountain (Louis Daquin, 1944)
Les amoureux sont seuls au monde aka Moline (Henri Decoin, 1948)
La Môme Vert de Gris aka Poison Ivy (Bernard Borderie, 1953)
Symphony for a Massacre a.k.a. The Corrupt (Jacques Deray, 1963)
Une histoire simple aka A Simple Story (Claude Sautet, 1978)

... all with English subs according to Blu-ray.com, although most of the Amazon listings don't note them.

Plus Diane Kurys's A Man in Love, which seems to be in English with forced French subs.

rockysds

#64 Post by rockysds » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:55 am

I haven't played the disc, but Les amoureux sont seuls au monde does not have English subtitles listed on the backcover. The others do I'm fairly sure.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#65 Post by tenia » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:33 am

I wrote on my review that Les amoureux have Eng subs, so except if I did a mistake, they have. I confirm the other 5 movies indeed have Eng subs too.

Costa

#66 Post by Costa » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:19 pm

Will anyone here get the new restorations of Cyrano de Bergerac and Le hussard sur le toit?
https://www.amazon.fr/Cyrano-de-Bergera ... B07DL6X6ZC
https://www.amazon.fr/Le-hussard-sur-le ... B07DL83X1N
Perhaps tenia?
I'd be interested to know if they have English subtitles and how is the picture quality.
(although I don't have much hope for the latter since I think it's Ritrovata's restoration)

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#67 Post by tenia » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:24 am

I have Cyrano already and am still waiting for Le hussard (which I should hopefully receive next week). I haven't watched it yet though.
Giving it a quick spin :
- Cyrano has been restored by Ritrovata, with a grading supervised by Pierre Lhomme.
- the color timing looks non-Ritrovata, which is very good news. I received some discs from the Oct Claude Berri sets, and the movies restored by Ritrovata have also a non-Ritrovata but there are still some shots where the old yellow bias / milky blacks grading is visible. On Cyrano, it doesn't seem to be the case at all.
- this doesn't seem to be the most defined precise movie I've ever reviewed, but this looks like a good new restoration (a 4K OCN one, seemingly).
- the movie only has French SDH subs. No Eng subs. It comes with a new (un-subtitled) 35 minutes documentary on the movie.

Costa

#68 Post by Costa » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:54 am

Oh,that's excellent news about the colors, thank you!
Cyrano is one of my favourite films!
Let's hope now someone gets it in USA or UK to release an English friendly version.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#69 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:24 pm

Costa wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:54 am

Cyrano is one of my favourite films!
Let's hope now someone gets it in USA or UK to release an English friendly version.
Which will give you a chance to assess the Anthony Burgess translation which certainly divides opinion

L.A.

#70 Post by L.A. » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:50 pm

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#71 Post by tenia » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:26 am

L.A. wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:50 pm
Is Deux Films de René Clair : Entr'acte + Paris Qui dort English-friendly?
Pretty much, yes. Entr'acte is silent with no intertitles. Paris qui dort's version taken from the OCN is with French intertitles with no English subs, but there is an alternative version taken from a copy from the BFI which has English intertitles (with French subs). It's 2 different versions, with the OCN one being in a better state, but I suppose it's close enough for people who really want to see it.

L.A.

#72 Post by L.A. » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:24 am

tenia wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:26 am
L.A. wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:50 pm
Is Deux Films de René Clair : Entr'acte + Paris Qui dort English-friendly?
Pretty much, yes. Entr'acte is silent with no intertitles. Paris qui dort's version taken from the OCN is with French intertitles with no English subs, but there is an alternative version taken from a copy from the BFI which has English intertitles (with French subs). It's 2 different versions, with the OCN one being in a better state, but I suppose it's close enough for people who really want to see it.
Thanks, tenia.

One more, how about Faubourg Montmartre, EN subs? Curious whether the silent version from 1925 survives.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#73 Post by tenia » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:26 am

I received Le professeur and City of Joy but not Faubourg Montmartre yet. Le professeur has burnt-in French subs so here you go. I havent checked yet if City of Joy French subs are optional.

L.A.

#74 Post by L.A. » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:29 am

Abel Gance’s La Roue (1923) in April. Hopefully English-friendly.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#75 Post by tenia » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:19 am

At 58.99€, I wonder what it will contain. I understand the movie being long, and Pathé usually provides DF releases, but the movie would only require 2 BDs I suppose, and I certainly wouldn't see it wise to price the movie that high just because it's on 2 BDs and it's a DF release.