Code Red

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Koukol

Re: Code Red

#26 Post by Koukol » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:47 pm

I think Bill's problem is he can't take negative criticism and he got a TON from day one (and still does.)
It seems to out-way anything positive.

L.A.

#27 Post by L.A. » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:02 pm

Grand Wazoo

#28 Post by Grand Wazoo » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:12 am

Code Red put up 7 new titles including the Nightmare BD that were briefly for sale until the Big Cartel store was taken down once again. What was odd (or maybe not at this point) was Bill took to Twitter to share his excitement in making $20k in one day with these new releases and ended, sincerely, with this:
a person can make 20 grand in one day working hard, but today's girls loves fat guy with foodstamps and drugs. strange, but this is 2014.
Sigh.

Anyway, new releases:

BUTCHER BAKER NIGHTMARE MAKER
NIGHTMARE (Blu)
TOP OF THE HEAP
CAVE GIRL
MURDER RUN w/ UNHINGED
SIX PACK Vol 1 (SWINGING SWAPPERS, ALL THE YOUNG WIVES, MARK OF THE WITCH, TALE OF THE DEAN'S WIFE, CRYPT OF THE LIVING DEAD, THE TONGFATHER)
SIX PACK vol 2 (SWAP MEET AT THE LOVE SHACK, THE SWINGIN' STEWARDESSES, MURDER CLINIC, NAUGHTY SCHOOLGIRLS, THE LONERS, SWINGING SWAPPERS)

Koukol

#29 Post by Koukol » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:19 pm

What is MURDER CLINIC doing with all the other crap in that box-set?

EddieLarkin

#30 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:03 pm

AlexHansen wrote:Is Mary Mary Bloody Mary anywhere near as good as it sounds?
No. But it's quite fun nonetheless. I just gone done with it; it's basically an interesting take on the vampire chick who doesn't want to kill story (think Dracula's Daughter, with the vampiric lesbianism trope that first appeared in that film making an appearance here, although cleverly reversed). There's a few tame but well done kills (the ones that aren't poorly edited anyway) stringed together by a very mundane police investigation plot, with an awful soundtrack thrown in on top of everything. Cristina Ferrare is pretty dull (though she can act hysterical quite well), though Helena Rojo (of Aguirre: Wrath of God) gives a good performance in the few scenes she has (really she should have got the titular role over Ferrare). John Carradine's hilarious cameo is unfortunately spoiled by the opening credits (the scariest thing in this film by far are the close ups of his sadly crippling looking arthritic hands).

The disc looks about as you would expect; a bit beat up, a bit soft, but with decent colour and no digital tinkering (or seemingly any clean up of any kind). The sound is quite poor though. A worthwhile purchase if you're into this stuff. Hopefully Mondo Macabro will upgrade Alucarda at some point now that they've gone Blu.

Caps are clickable for full rez:

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Orlac wrote:I quite like the films Code Red releases, but the owner is a wacko. Often the covers and menus trash the films before you even watch them - the low point being the Cinema Toilet menu for the fairly decent Italian flick The Night Child.
I've come to enjoy his brand of humour. The rear packshot of his BD for The Redeemer: Son of Satan is particularly scathing; it's like he's making fun of the idea of anyone actually wanting the film on Blu-ray:

AlexHansen

#31 Post by AlexHansen » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:00 am

Thanks for the info (and caps, though I wouldn't be surprised if they got moved to the dedicated thread)!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#32 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:29 am

I would. They belong here.

EddieLarkin

#33 Post by EddieLarkin » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:24 am

ImageImageImageImage

New titles, coming between Oct 15th-20th.

AlexHansen

#34 Post by AlexHansen » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:54 am

Nathaniel Dorsky on home video, complete with commentary? Never thought I'd see the day.

CSM126

#35 Post by CSM126 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:02 am

Ah, Messiah of Evil. A film nearly everyone of us probably owns without even realizing it. Seriously, do you have any of those Mill Creek-style 50 films for 5 bucks DVD sets? Messiah of Evil is in almost every single one of them. I know I must have at least three copies and I've never watched it.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#36 Post by domino harvey » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:05 am

The difference being that Code Red's is the only edition that is in 'Scope (some European label did steal their transfer, which only added fuel to the guy from Code Red's complex). It's... an awful film regardless, but at least I've seen all of it (and managed to offload the Code Red DVD for about what I paid for it)

Forrest Taft

#37 Post by Forrest Taft » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:05 am

Notable for featuring Walter Hill in a small part!

Satori

#38 Post by Satori » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:52 am

I love Messiah of Evil- the plot is nonsense, but it consistently produces wonderful dream-like imagery with vivid, beautiful colors. The hypnotic pacing reminds me of a Rollin film. It definitely has the most Euro-horror feel of all 70s U.S. horror (well, expect for maybe the bizarre and equally beautiful Death Bed).

Robin Davies

#39 Post by Robin Davies » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:13 am

I've never seen Messiah Of Evil but after reading about it in Stephen Thrower's recently reprinted book Nightmare USA I'm quite keen to.

EddieLarkin

#40 Post by EddieLarkin » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:35 pm

November titles:
ImageImageImage

Perkins Cobb

#41 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:29 pm

Yeah, Messiah of Evil is terrific ... although I'd be more enthusiastic about upgrading to Blu if the OOP DVD had skyrocketed to collectors' prices.

Orlac

#42 Post by Orlac » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:04 pm

Nightmare has likely been withdrawn - http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/show ... #post99626" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#43 Post by domino harvey » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:10 pm

Jesus Christ, that dude just gets worse and worse. Next time anyone accuses anyone reading this of being too sensitive, show them that Facebook exchange

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#44 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:36 pm

All I could think when reading that embarrassing temper tantrum is "we're all gonna be dead in 100 years and no one will care about your boutique DVD label"

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#45 Post by jindianajonz » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:54 pm

It gets better...

In case he decides to delete it, the sales listing is back, but with the following:
USA VERSION of NIGHTMARE (BLU) Limited edition NOT that MYSTERIOUS DUTCH VHS.

Mr. Hxxx pointed out after the code red Blu-ray disc is release that a dutch vhs has some small scene that is NOT on any version that is out there. so this release is BOTCHED. NO REFUND. AS IS WHEN BUYING. CODE RED FUCKED UP AS USUAL. OH WELL.

I also being called a "TOOL" for this botched release.

can't find some outtakes some overseas used. miracles can't happen. especially to a title that never sold much on vhs

DUE TO HIGH VOLUME OF HORDERS THAT IS SELLING THIS IS FLEA-BAY. ONE PER CUSTOMERS!
And he prominently displays the "deleted scene" that set this whole thing off as the screen grab.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#46 Post by domino harvey » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:55 pm

If anything, anyone watching Nightmare will be glad it was two seconds shorter with its absence

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#47 Post by domino harvey » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:13 pm

All joking aside, I think it is legit possible that the guy from Code Red is mentally unstable. He canceled all of his preorders for Blu-ray bundles because some of them were from overseas buyers. The first Facebook comment says it all

whaleallright

#48 Post by whaleallright » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:02 pm

Nathaniel Dorsky on home video, complete with commentary? Never thought I'd see the day.
huh?

knives

#49 Post by knives » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:10 pm

He worked on the film. He didn't direct it though.

AlexHansen

#50 Post by AlexHansen » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:37 pm

He co-wrote/co-produced/shot Revenge of the Cheerleaders.