Gaumont French Releases

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
nitin

Re: Gaumont French Releases

#376 Post by nitin » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:38 am

Obviously I dont know exactly what Eclair is doing, but just because it's a conscious decision doesnt make it right either.

See for example Ritrovata, who apart from their colour grading, also apparently apply a Film Projection LUT to all of their restorations. The reasoning behind that seems to be to emulate film projection but in a digital space (either DCP or home video/blu ray). But it seems really obvious that whatever LUT Ritrovata is using doesnt seem to properly account for the fact that the film projection workflow/chain actually increases contrast and limits dynamic range along the way, and the end result to a viewer in a theatre would not look anything at all like the weak/raised blacks you get on Ritrovata's restorations in the digital space (again either as a DCP or home video/blu ray).
Last edited by nitin on Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#377 Post by tenia » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:59 am

It's not only conscious but done on a case-by-case basis, ending up with what I feel is a more organic result, hence why I wanted to make the distinction.

But I agree with you : it's not better because of this consciousness (I certainly didn't ask Eclair what they were doing for no reason !), and obviously, the parallel with Ritrovata came to me very quickly.

nitin

#378 Post by nitin » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:51 am

It would be interesting to hear which french blu rays Eclair consider to respect their intentions via proper encoding and which they do not. I suspect they would consider most of Pathe's output to be faithful and Gaumont's to be more hit and miss.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#379 Post by tenia » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:16 am

The way they answered me let me suppose they won't say exactly which discs they consider problematic.
nitin wrote:I suspect they would consider most of Pathe's output to be faithful and Gaumont's to be more hit and miss.
I'm not so sure about this split.
If this is indeed a case-by-case basis based on the customer's request, I'd suppose rather that Pathé are asking for "pure" blacks while Gaumont don't, and that the discs Eclair consider unfaithful are ones like Elevator, The Lovers or others where you see stuff like chroma issues and banding all over. But I don't think Le mystère Picasso, for instance, is unfaithful.

Perkins Cobb

#380 Post by Perkins Cobb » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:49 pm

A few other spring/summer releases with English subtitles (at least according to Amazon):

L'Homme du jour (Julien Duvivier, 1937)
Untel père et fils (Julien Duvivier, 1943)
Le Mariage de Chiffon (Claude Autant-Lara, 1942; so far the only title from the Eclipse set available in HD, I think?)
Le silencieux (Claude Pinoteau, 1973)
Lévy et Goliath (Gérard Oury, 1987)
Le Schpountz (Gérard Oury, 1999)

Anyone spot any others?
Last edited by Perkins Cobb on Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#381 Post by tenia » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:18 am

I can confirm that L'homme du jour, Untel père et fils & Le silencieux have English subs (can't for the other), and that Yoshiwara, Mayerling and Sans lendemain don't have Eng subs.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#382 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:51 am

There's always Grémillon and Vigo to look forward to in October in the Classics line which makes English subs probable

JAP

#383 Post by JAP » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:16 am

On a related note, the Cineteca di Bologna edition of the Vigo set (2 BRs+3 DVDs) is already available for €33.00 RRP.

L.A.

#384 Post by L.A. » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:41 am

Artificial Eye releases L’Atalante & The Films of Jean Vigo in October. Wonder what this includes.

Werewolf by Night

#385 Post by Werewolf by Night » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:39 pm

Product Description
L'Atalante (1934)
This intoxicatingly inventive masterpiece is one of the world's great films. A simple and engaging plot is transformed into a kaleidoscope of dazzling digressions and offbeat characterizations complete with tour-de-force scenes that still seem fresh and startling.

À propos de Nice (1930)
What starts off as a conventional travelogue turns into a satirical portrait of the town of Nice on the French Cote d'Azur, especially its wealthy inhabitants.

Taris (1931)
An Inventive short portrait of a swimming champion.

Zero de Conduite (1933)
A radical, delightful tale of boarding-school rebellion that has influenced countless film-makers.

L.A.

#386 Post by L.A. » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:16 pm

Regarding the extras I meant. Doing some research I noticed an earlier DVD from AE so maybe it will the same release.

But I still feel enormous interest towards the upcoming French set. Like David said:
david hare wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:00 am
...some things are more important than money.

feckless boy

#387 Post by feckless boy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:17 pm

So far the forthcoming AE Blu-ray is listed as only a single disc - so probably something similar to the Criterion disc but hopefully using the new restorations.

The Gaumont Prestige - Coffret Jean Vigo Edition with 5 DVD or 2 Blu-ray + 2 DVD, with a book by Bernard Eisenschitz. According to one BD.com-poster this set will use the new 4K restorations and at least the films themselves will be subtitled in English.

The outtakes David Hare is talking about Tournage d’hiver: L’Atalante de Jean Vigo chutes et rushes.

Costa

#388 Post by Costa » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:36 pm

If tenia or anyone else gets this:
https://www.amazon.fr/1492-Conquest-of- ... B07G2D87KH
please let us know if it's remastered, if it's indeed the extended cut and if it includes English subtitles.

I love this film and Vangelis' soundtrack.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#389 Post by tenia » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:50 pm

Gaumont and Pathé changed their logistics company and it's a nightmare since. Most of their latest releases have been plagued with supplying issues at online suppliers. Hopefully, things will smooth out over time but I guess someone is going to pay some penalties !

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#390 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:09 pm

Both Amazon an FNAC are stating 17th October for arrival of stock on all Gaumont October releases and the delayed September Tourneurs

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#391 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:16 am

They have written to say mine will be delivered the 19th from both FNAC and Amazon so the stock situation seems to be pretty solid

artfilmfan

#392 Post by artfilmfan » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:31 pm

I've only watched about 40 minutes of it so far ... L'Atalante on the new Gaumont Blu-ray disc looks fantastic. I set my Blu-ray player to Region A and the disc plays fine.

Stefan Andersson

#393 Post by Stefan Andersson » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:10 am

The CNC grants towards restoring French films will be considerably lowered. 2,8 million euros (per year, I assume) for the years 2019-2021, as opposed to 9 million euros in 2018.

The CNC are looking favourably on support from private sources, and have a list of 100 titles to be "adopted" for restoration. Gaumont and other holders of large catalogues are, unsurprisingly, critical of this.

Article in French ("free reading" part only) here:

https://www.lemonde.fr/economie/article ... _3234.html

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#394 Post by tenia » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:01 am

Labels and studios in France are not happy at all about it, and I understood better after reading this article why some labels were saying things were getting "complicated".

eerik

#395 Post by eerik » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:54 pm

Jean Epstein's Finis Terræ & La Femme du bout du monde released next month with English subtitles.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#396 Post by tenia » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:41 am

There's a "before / after restoration" featurette on Gaumont's upcoming release of Pierre Richard's Le distrait, and it contains these comparisons (for which I can't find the right adjective), in case anybody was still wondering how these homogeneized gradings happen :
Image Image Image Image Image

Hard to find any more explicit.

L.A.

#397 Post by L.A. » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:01 am

eerik wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:54 pm
Jean Epstein's Finis Terræ & La Femme du bout du monde released next month with English subtitles.
It seems the latter is not included on the Potemkine set.

Aunt Peg

#398 Post by Aunt Peg » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:22 am

Rayon Vert wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 9:23 pm
My Gaumont Danton blu ray is dead. Anybody experienced problems with Gaumont discs? I see on this old blu-ray.com forum thread that some early French blu discs have problems.

I'm gonna have to purchase it again unfortunately.
My Danton is in the process of dying. Plays on my Panasonic machine but not Sony so I'll watch it this week since I haven't seen it since 1982 and only purchased it for a revisit.

I'm afraid my La Nuit de Varennes is dead :cry:

I adore the film and now can only hope that a US or UK release is forthcoming. At least I'd watched the disc a couple of years ago and its a film that gets better with each viewing.

I'm now going to check and watch all my French discs (probably about 50 Blu Rays not counting the Rohmer box set). Have already ordered the Artificial Eye Malle set as a backup and will consider buying US/UK releases of other much loved titles.

Aunt Peg

#399 Post by Aunt Peg » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:30 am

I checked my Gaumont of A Man Escaped and it is dead. Have just ordered the Artificial Eye edition to replace it.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#400 Post by tenia » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:34 am

Many other titles are concerned, like Le sucre, Cousin cousine, Le rouge est mis and some of the Pialat.