Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
colinr0380

Re: Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

#1176 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:12 am

PfR73 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:44 pm
colinr0380 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:31 pm
Shout! Factory seem to have a good relationship with Iain Softley, releasing...The Wings of The Dove...
I haven't heard anything about this, do you have a link?
Now that I'm looking for it, I cannot find a mention of it! But I could have sworn that it was getting a release, though there is always the chance that I was dreaming about it!

colinr0380

#1177 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:45 am

I'm still trying to figure out where I got the Wings of the Dove notion from sadly, but in the meantime I see from the Mondo Digital site that post-Scream slasher series Urban Legend and Urban Legends: Final Cut have recently received a Blu-ray release. The first film is OK, but I really like Final Cut, which feels influenced by the campus set Scream 2 and has a really interesting cast of horror veterans (a post-Pulse Joey Lawrence! Hart Bochner!), future big names (Eva Mendes!) and the odd arthouse refugee (Marco Hofschneider!)

Feego

#1178 Post by Feego » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:32 pm

Bonus features for Dracula: Prince of Darkness, per Shout! Factory's site:
Two Versions! The UK Version And The U.S. Version
NEW 4K Scan Of The Interpositive Of The US Version From The 20th Century Fox Vaults
NEW Audio Commentary With Author Troy Howarth
NEW Audio Commentary With Filmmaker Constantine Nasr And Writer/Producer Steve Haberman
Audio Commentary With Cast Members Christopher Lee, Suzan Farmer, Francis Matthews, And Barbara Shelley
World Of Hammer Episode “Dracula And The Undead”
Back To Black – The Making Of Dracula: Prince Of Darkness
Super 8mm Behind-The-Scenes Footage
Theatrical Trailers
Still Gallery

dwk

#1179 Post by dwk » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:29 pm

Amazon has a pre-order up for a boxset of Robert Rodriguez's movies from Shout Factory. I wonder if this means that Lionsgate's deal for the Miramax titles is ending.

Big Ben

#1180 Post by Big Ben » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:31 pm

I'm hoping that means they might finally licence and put out the lost Friedkin film Rampage which has never had DVD or Blu-Ray release in the United States.

Aunt Peg

#1181 Post by Aunt Peg » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:46 am

Big Ben wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:31 pm
I'm hoping that means they might finally licence and put out the lost Friedkin film Rampage which has never had DVD or Blu-Ray release in the United States.
There was one of a number of films (Blue Velvet, Crimes of the Heart, The Bedroom Widow, King Kong Lives, Tai Pan, ect) including Rampage that were made by De Laurentiis Entertainment Group (DEG). Anybody knows who holds the rights to all those DEG films in the US and internationally or have they been rights been broken up on a film by film basis?

Big Ben

#1182 Post by Big Ben » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:24 am

Speaking of King Kong you've reminded me that the 1976 version has never had a Blu-Ray release here in the States. It doesn't hold a candle to the original but I have fond childhood memories of it. The film also had forty five minutes added to it for a television premiere in 1978 so I can think of at least thing to add on as a bonus to the disc (Or combine the two. Or something!) On the flip side I saw King Kong Lives when I was ten or so (Back when Blockbuster rentals were still a thing!) and I say without reservation that I think it's a terrible film. Even my young mind thought it was appalling disaster. It could however serve as an interesting reminder of that time though. I cannot fathom watching the latter film again.

The Friedkin though, I'm baffled as to why it hasn't been put out yet. Friedkin is obviously supportive of his films getting good releases and if he'll still acknowledge The Guardian (Which of course does have a Blu Ray release.) he would most certainly acknowledge Rampage right?

Professor Wagstaff

#1183 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:26 am

I recall Friedkin speaking positively about Rampage in his autobiography. The Guardian he never even mentioned.

dwk

#1184 Post by dwk » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:48 pm

Aunt Peg wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:46 am
There was one of a number of films (Blue Velvet, Crimes of the Heart, The Bedroom Widow, King Kong Lives, Tai Pan, ect) including Rampage that were made by De Laurentiis Entertainment Group (DEG). Anybody knows who holds the rights to all those DEG films in the US and internationally or have they been rights been broken up on a film by film basis?
If I'm not mistaken, Internationally, most, if not all, are with StudioCanal. In the US, some are with MGM, some Paramount, some StuxioCanal.

dwk

#1185 Post by dwk » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:21 pm

So that Robert Rodriguez set isn't happening. Cliff Mac from Shout posted the following on the Blu-ray forums
This release isn't happening. This is from years ago. We aren't sure how Amazon put it up. It's coming down.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1186 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:50 pm

Just as well since like all of the Blu-rays of his films are already really cheap, you could pretty easily make your own "box set" for well below a Shout Factory price

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1187 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:20 pm

Scream will be releasing Man's Best Friend on Blu-ray in March. This is one of the better slasher movie riffs, replacing the usual killer with a dog and even including an amusing dog on dog stalking scene!

dwk

#1188 Post by dwk » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:51 pm

Scream is releasing Warning Sign in March.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1190 Post by domino harvey » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:29 pm

Shout is really trying to provoke people who want original art

Big Ben

#1191 Post by Big Ben » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:43 pm

Both Tarantula and The Deadly Mantis are coming March 19th. Both are the finest of B Movie trash but The Deadly Mantis in particular, a film in which a gigantic preying mantis escapes from an iceberg is one of the prime cut bad monster movies.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#1192 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:23 pm

There's a little too much stock military footage in The Deadly Mantis for me, while Tarantula has not only the giant arthropod, but also some great deformed human makeup in its mad scientist subplot.

Big Ben

#1193 Post by Big Ben » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:30 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:23 pm
There's a little too much stock military footage in The Deadly Mantis for me, while Tarantula has not only the giant arthropod, but also some great deformed human makeup in its mad scientist subplot.
And Clint Eastwood's first film appearance. I recall watching it as a boy and enjoying it alongside Them!

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#1194 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:47 pm

Big Ben wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:30 pm
And Clint Eastwood's first film appearance.
I always thought that was Revenge of the Creature (the Black Lagoon sequel); IMDb says they came out the same year. Do you have anything that shows that Tarantula came first?

ETA: IMDb says Tarantula came out in November (clearly an awards season play) while Revenge was March.

Big Ben

#1195 Post by Big Ben » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:54 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:47 pm
Big Ben wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:30 pm
And Clint Eastwood's first film appearance.
I always thought that was Revenge of the Creature (the Black Lagoon sequel); IMDb says they came out the same year. Do you have anything that shows that Tarantula came first?
No you're correct and I was mistaken. I knew he was in a monster movie in his very first role and I fumbled everything information wise past that.

willoneill

#1196 Post by willoneill » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:03 pm

Now I can finally replace my used flipper DVD that I got for free because the fullscreen side was scratched to shit.

colinr0380

#1197 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:30 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:29 pm
Shout is really trying to provoke people who want original art
I don't know about these latest Select releases but the Shout! releases I have, like Arrow, often have a reversible cover with the original art on the reverse. So maybe it will be there!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1198 Post by domino harvey » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:42 pm

Unfortunately, that is the original art!

Lewton's the Body Snatcher coming to Blu-ray in March

Glowingwabbit

#1199 Post by Glowingwabbit » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:19 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:42 pm
Lewton's the Body Snatcher coming to Blu-ray in March
I hope this means Seventh Victim and I Walked with a Zombie (assuming Scream or Criterion have them) will be coming this year too so I can unload that Lewton set.

Glowingwabbit

#1200 Post by Glowingwabbit » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:06 am

Not sure if this has been posted yet. But GKids through Shout Factory is releasing a new blu of Perfect Blue. I'm not a big Anime fan but this is a great film that should appeal to casual/non-anime cinephiles as well.

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=24342
The release will be available for purchase on March 26.

Special Features and Technical Specs:
BRAND NEW REMASTER OF THE FILM
NEW Lectures by Satoshi Kon featurette
NEW Into The Blue featurette - New Interviews
Original SD Version of Feature (Japanese mono Dolby Digital 2.0 with English subtitles)
Angel of Your Heart Recording Sessions
Angel of Your Heart Full English Version
Theatrical Trailers and TV Spots—includes new trailers from US and UK re-releases
Cast and Crew Interviews