Carlotta Releases

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
andyli

Re: Carlotta Releases

#226 Post by andyli » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:01 pm

This has somehow slipped under my radar. It seems like a good way to collect the otherwise scattered Hou blu-ray releases.

zedz

#227 Post by zedz » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:39 pm

andyli wrote:Image

This has somehow slipped under my radar. It seems like a good way to collect the otherwise scattered Hou blu-ray releases.
But. . . no English subs (not unusual for Carlotta).

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#228 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:15 pm

Interesting that Cheerful Wind _hasn't_ been upgraded/released. Wonder why it got skipped over?

The Fanciful Norwegian

#229 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:57 pm

Cheerful Wind actually got a digital remaster a few years ago (at the same time as Cute Girl) and a DCP has played at a few venues, including the San Diego Asian Film Festival and the Cinémathèque française. The only reason I can conceive for its exclusion from the various releases of Hou's early work (it's not in the Cinematek DVD set either) is a rights issue. Some possible circumstantial evidence for this is that there were reports in 2012 that both Cute Girl and Cheerful Wind would get theatrical reissues in Taiwan as a tribute to the then-recently-deceased Fong Fei-fei, but as far as I can tell only Cute Girl was actually released.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#230 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:57 pm

Oh well, maybe someday... Which will we wait longer for? This ... or City of Sadness ... or Puppetmaster?

Calvin

#231 Post by Calvin » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:52 pm

It's worth remembering that Eureka will be releasing a box set containing Cute Girl, The Green Green Grass of Home, and The Boys from Fengkuei in the Spring.

Why Dust in the Wind, The Time to Live and the Time to Die, and the other CMPC restorations such as Yang's Terrorisers haven't been picked up for a subbed release has continually puzzled me over the past few years. I initially assumed it was a rights issue, but whatever it is hasn't prevented them being picked up for VoD release on Amazon Prime.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#232 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:43 pm

I wonder whether the Eureka set will be a significant upgrade of the Belgian DVD set?

Big Ben

#233 Post by Big Ben » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:47 pm

I was told several years ago that some of Hou's films were made with mob money. That's a ludicrous statement I know but is there any veracity to it? The only Hou film I've seen is City of Sadness and that was froma VHS tape I managed to get from a third party seller. There's just a void with Hou that isn't there with contemporaries like Edward Yang or Tsai Ming Liang.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#234 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:32 pm

The two Era productions (A City of Sadness and The Puppetmaster) are owned by a guy who abandoned the film industry for real estate and supposedly just doesn't care about them anymore. They get occasional theatrical screenings, but these have to be authorized by Hou personally and must be purely not-for-profit.

Adam X

#235 Post by Adam X » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:21 am

Big Ben wrote:I was told several years ago that some of Hou's films were made with mob money. That's a ludicrous statement I know but is there any veracity to it?
I can't speak for Hou's films, but there's a history of the Triad's & Yakuza being involved in film production in Hong Kong & Japan respectively, so it's not unreasonable for the same to be true of Taiwan.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#236 Post by Drucker » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:29 pm

McCrutchy

#237 Post by McCrutchy » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:46 am

Mikio Naruse five film Blu-ray box set to be released on November 21st, 2018

According to DVD.fr, it will contain:

Sound of the Mountain (1954)
Flowing (1956)
When a Woman Ascends the Stairs (1960)
Yearning (1964)
Two in the Shadow (1967)

ellipsis7

#238 Post by ellipsis7 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:19 am

Also Welles' LADY FROM SHANGHAI comes to BR on 16 November...

Antonioni's THE PASSENGER aka PROFESSION: REPORTER recently out on Carlotta DVD, BR & Coffret Ultra Collector, the last dual-format with a substantial book put together by Dominique Paini... As would be expected the transfer matches the Indicator release (which I also acquired), in terms of extras the notable additions are Lino Micciche's ANTONIONI VU PAR ANTONIONI and a lovely HD transfer of MA's early 1949 short L'AMOROSA MENZOGNA (aka LIES OF LOVE), about the world of the fotoromanzo (roman-photo), otherwise called 'fumetti' after the speech bubbles superimposed on the characters in the photos which are reminiscent of little puffs of cigarette smoke emanating from their mouths...

eerik

#239 Post by eerik » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:08 am

The three Frank Borzage silents (7th Heaven, Street Angel, Lucky Star) on Blu-ray are all out-of-print and mostly sold out, right? Amazon only has Street Angel available. Oh well, guess I missed them after years of hesitating and passing on deals. Damn shame these aren't available on BD anywhere else.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#240 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:31 pm

FNAC has Lucky Star

eerik

#241 Post by eerik » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:34 am

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:31 pm
FNAC has Lucky Star
Thanks for the tip, though FNAC only offers express courier shipping to Estonia, which would be way too expensive for just one item. However, I did some additional searching of my own and Potemkine had all three still available, with much more reasonable shippinng costs (~13 euros).

dwk

#242 Post by dwk » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:04 pm

Carlotta is releasing John Carpenter's Christine on UHD in one of their big book sets in September.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#244 Post by tenia » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:51 am

They're showing it this evening at Lyon and should release it theatrically in early 2020. A physical video release should follow then.

PfR73

#245 Post by PfR73 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:50 pm

Has anyone here ever had a reason to contact Carlotta and been successful in doing so? I recently ordered their Blu-ray of Network specifically because their website states that it includes the documentary "By Sidney Lumet" as a bonus feature.
However, the disc arrived from Amazon about 2 weeks ago and the documentary is nowhere to be found on the disc. It just has the film and a trailer. I already own the US Warner & UK Arrow releases, so I don't need another copy of the film, I wanted the documentary.
I used the Contact Form on their website, but it's been like 2 weeks now and I have not received any response.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#246 Post by tenia » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:52 am

I supsect the page isn't done in an accurate manner enough because the doc' only is included in the bigger set with the book. It's never been on the regular BD release from Carlotta.

Amazon.fr shows the backcover of this standard release and indeed shows it doesn't have the doc.

Since you bought it from Amazon some weeks ago already, I wouldn't wait before preparing the return of this product.

mteller

#248 Post by mteller » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:21 am

If the Amazon listing is correct, looks like no English subtitles (not a surprise). But maybe it bodes well for a potential Criterion release? I've been holding off on the 400 Blows blu in hopes of a full set upgrade.

Calvin

#249 Post by Calvin » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:30 am

The BFI will also be releasing them in early 2022. Format yet to be confirmed, but they do have their first UHD coming out in the next month.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#250 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:13 pm

The just-announced lineup of the Nantes Festival des 3 Continents includes a special section to mark Shōchiku's 100th anniversary. A number of the films there are credited to Carlotta, and while some have already been released by them and others (e.g. Record of a Tenement Gentleman, Harakiri), these don't have existing Carlotta BDs:

The Downfall of Osen (1935, Mizoguchi Kenji)
Love Under the Crucifix (1962, Tanaka Kinuyo)
Sisters of the Gion (1936, Mizoguchi Kenji)
The Yellow Handkerchief (1977, Yamada Yōji)

The Mizoguchis are being shown on film, so I'm not sure what that augurs for a BD release. Sisters of the Gion was released a while back by Artificial Eye, but The Downfall of Osen has no BD edition anywhere, which might be because Shōchiku only has it on 16mm (there is a less complete 35mm nitrate print in the collection of the Kobe Planet Film Archive that reportedly looks and sounds much better). The festival is also showing Shinoda's Demon Pond, which Carlotta has already announced for a Blu release in February.