Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

Milestone, Flicker Alley, Oscilloscope, Cinema Guild...they're all here.
Glowingwabbit

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2026 Post by Glowingwabbit » Wed May 22, 2019 12:33 pm

justeleblanc wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:04 pm
Are Front Page and Foreign Affair the last of the Universal Wilders? Or did KL also license 5 Graves, Major/Minor, and the Wilder-penned Midnight?
5 Graves was on the list of Universal titles KL Insider posted back on page 78 of this thread.

Kino Insider

#2027 Post by Kino Insider » Wed May 22, 2019 3:59 pm

Coming August 13th!

Razzia Sur La Chnouf (1955) In French with optional English subtitles

• A 4K Restoration
• Audio Commentary by Film Critic Nick Pinkerton
• Theatrical Trailer

Razzia Sur La Chnouf is based on a novel by the legendary writer Auguste Le Breton (Rififi, Bob Le Flambeur) with direction by Henri Decoin (One Step to Eternity) — After a spell in the U.S.A., master criminal Henri Ferré dit ‘Le Nantais’ (Jean Gabin, Touchez Pas Au Grisbi) returns to Paris and is recruited by Paul Liski (Marcel Dalio, To Have and Have Not), head of a major narcotics ring, to oversee and improve the efficiency of their distribution. Merchandise has been disappearing and unreliable dealers must be eliminated. For the latter, Henri is assigned two hitmen, Roger le Catalan (Lino Ventura, The Sicilian Clan) and Bibi (Albert Rémy, The Train). Released as Razzia in the U.S., Razzia Sur La Chnoufthrillingly explores the criminal underworld of 1950s Paris.

Kino Insider

#2028 Post by Kino Insider » Wed May 22, 2019 3:59 pm

Coming August 13th!

Port of Shadows (1938) with optional English subtitles

• A 4K Restoration
• Introduction to the movie by professor/film critic Ginette Vincendeau (HD - 6:24)
• On the Port of the Shadows - documentary (HD - 44:10)
• Theatrical Trailer

Port of Shadows (Le Quai Des Brumes) is director Marcel Carné’s (Children of Paradise) controversial adaptation of the Pierre Mac Orlan novel of the same name. Down a foggy, desolate road to the port city of Le Havre travels Jean (Jean Gabin, Touchez Pas Au Grisbi), an army deserter looking for another chance at life. Fate, however, has a different plan for him, when acts of both revenge and kindness turn him into front-page news. Port of Shadows starkly portrays an underworld of lonely souls wrestling with their own destinies, a quintessential example of poetic realism, one of the classics of the golden age of French cinema. Co-starring the blue-eyed phenomenon Michèle Morgan (The Chase) in her first major role and the menacing Michel Simon (The Train), with stunning cinematography by Eugen Schüfftan (The Hustler).
Last edited by Kino Insider on Fri May 31, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kino Insider

#2029 Post by Kino Insider » Wed May 22, 2019 4:03 pm

the__projectionist wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 11:57 am
It's good to hear you working on Guy Maddin's film. What about Guerin (really wishing for In the City of Sylvia) -- Kino Insider?
We don't have the Guerin film, it's with Cinema Guild

Kino Insider

#2030 Post by Kino Insider » Wed May 22, 2019 4:09 pm

justeleblanc wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:04 pm
Are Front Page and Foreign Affair the last of the Universal Wilders? Or did KL also license 5 Graves, Major/Minor, and the Wilder-penned Midnight?
Five Graves to Cairo and The Lost Weekend will be released later this year or early next. Both will be new 4K scans of the original camera negative.

diamonds

#2031 Post by diamonds » Wed May 22, 2019 5:04 pm

Kino Insider wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 6:50 pm
• Interview with director Jacques Becker (13:23)
Is this actually an interview with Jean Becker? I only ask because the rest of the extras appear to match the Studio Canal Region B release, and that one runs about the same length as the Jean Becker interview on theirs. I'll be picking it up regardless, but if there is actually a new translated interview with Jacques Becker himself that'd be icing on the cake.

Kino Insider

#2032 Post by Kino Insider » Wed May 22, 2019 5:50 pm

diamonds wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 5:04 pm
Kino Insider wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 6:50 pm
• Interview with director Jacques Becker (13:23)
Is this actually an interview with Jean Becker? I only ask because the rest of the extras appear to match the Studio Canal Region B release, and that one runs about the same length as the Jean Becker interview on theirs. I'll be picking it up regardless, but if there is actually a new translated interview with Jacques Becker himself that'd be icing on the cake.
You are correct sir, we knew we were getting the same extras and pulled the info from the DVD Compare site - it should be Jean.

andyli

#2033 Post by andyli » Wed May 22, 2019 7:54 pm

Kino Insider wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 3:59 pm
Port of Shadows (1938) with optional English subtitles

• A 4K Restoration
• Introduction to the movie by professor/film critic Ginette Vincendeau (HD - 6:24)
• On the Port of the Shadows - documentary (HD - 44:10)
• Restoring 'Le Quai des brumes' - featurette (HD - 10:34)
• Theatrical Trailer
Are you sure this is a 4K restoration? I ask because the release seems to mirror Studio Canal's 2012 edition, even down to the restoration featurette, which was from a 2K scan/restoration (see review here). I am a little concerned as Kino has been touting lots and lots of 4k restorations. As far as I know Port of Shadows (as well as Touchez pas au grisbi, Alphaville, etc.) was not labeled as 4K restoration on its Studio Canal edition.

david hare

#2034 Post by david hare » Wed May 22, 2019 8:37 pm

I will add I think there are problems relating to Canal’s 2012 restoration. Density, softness, overly done DNR. If this is a new 4k rom the raw scan I would be very happy.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#2035 Post by tenia » Thu May 23, 2019 2:05 am

IIRC, the Port of Shadows restoration is a reconstruction 70% based on elements far from the negative. It's definitely soft, and ostensibly looking like not coming from the O-neg or anything close. However, I don't recall having felt it was DNR, but that might be my memory.

nitin

#2036 Post by nitin » Thu May 23, 2019 7:13 am

I saw the Studio Canal blu ray of Port Of Shadows recently, it seemed to have incorrect black levels to me. Once I addressed that, it looked fine if unspectacular.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#2037 Post by tenia » Thu May 23, 2019 9:26 am

I do remember it to be quite dull looking, contrast-wise, so it might be it. I guess I thought at the time it was a by-product of the elements used for the restoration.

L.A.

#2038 Post by L.A. » Thu May 23, 2019 10:59 am

The Treasures of Yiddish Cinema

Did you have plans to release this on Blu?

Kino Insider

#2039 Post by Kino Insider » Thu May 23, 2019 12:37 pm

Coming August 27th!

Day of the Outlaw (1959) with optional English subtitles
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Jeremy Arnold
• Theatrical Trailer

(1959) B&W 92 Minutes 1.85:1 Not Rated
Screen legend Robert Ryan (The Wild Bunch, The Professionals) stars alongside Burl Ives (The Big Country) and Tina Louise (TV’s Gilligan’s Island) in this bleak and wintry western from cult director André De Toth (Pitfall, The Indian Fighter). Tough-as-nails Blaise Starrett (Ryan) is about to face a showdown with a fellow rancher whose wife Starrett happens to be in love with. But this small-town conflict is nothing compared to what's on the horizon when outlaw Jack Bruhn (Ives) and his vicious gang ride into town. On the lam after a brutal robbery, the outlaws terrorize the townspeople and hold them captive, even as Bruhn lies dying from a bullet wound to his chest. When Starrett eventually leads the homesteaders on a trail out of harm's way, the tension explodes to an unforgettable climax. Filled with action and suspense, this is one Day you'll never forget! Top-notch screenplay by legendary writer Philip Yordan (The Man from Laramie), based on a novel by television veteran Lee E. Wells (Highway Patrol). Wonderfully shot by Russell Harlan (Witness for the Prosecution) and featuring Nehemiah Persoff (Some Like it Hot), Lance Fuller (This Island Earth), Elisha Cook Jr. (I Wake Up Screaming) in strong supporting roles.

Kino Insider

#2040 Post by Kino Insider » Thu May 23, 2019 12:59 pm

Coming August 27th!

Man Without a Star (1955) with optional English subtitles
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Toby Roan
• Theatrical Trailer

(1955) Color 89 Minutes 2.00:1 Not Rated
Screen legend Kirk Douglas (Lonely Are the Brave, The Vikings) stars in this exciting King Vidor (Duel in the Sun) western about a rugged loner who becomes caught up in a bloody range war when he falls in love with two beautiful women. Dempsey Rae (Douglas) is a wandering cowboy who doesn’t like the fact that his open spaces are being fenced in by greedy ranchers and decides to help a town fight back against ranch owner Reed Bowman (Jeanne Crain, Leave Her to Heaven) after he meets the town’s sexy madam (Claire Trevor, Stagecoach). Loved by western buffs for its offbeat humor and Douglas’s witty performance, Man Without a Star features a top-notch script by Borden Chase (Red River) and D.D. Beauchamp (The Man from the Alamo) with stunning photography by the great Russell Metty (Midnight Lace). William Campbell (Escape from Fort Bravo), Richard Boone (Hombre) and Jay C. Flippen (Thunder Bay) co-star in this classic action-packed western.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#2041 Post by Drucker » Thu May 23, 2019 1:15 pm

Awesome. Always meant to pick up the German disc.

agnamaracs

#2042 Post by agnamaracs » Fri May 24, 2019 8:15 am

L.A. wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:59 am

This feels more like a Flicker Alley title, but I'm probably wrong.

L.A.

#2043 Post by L.A. » Fri May 24, 2019 10:49 am

agnamaracs wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 8:15 am
L.A. wrote:

FA sounds great too. Actually even better because their releases are region free, maybe one or two from them are coded A because of contractual reasons.

Kino Insider

#2044 Post by Kino Insider » Fri May 24, 2019 11:36 am

Coming August 13th - the Master of Suspense's 120th Birthday!

Blackmail (1929) with optional English subtitles
• BFI Restoration
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Tim Lucas
• Hitchcock/Truffaut: Icon interviews Icon (Archival Audio)
• The Silent Version of the Film - Score by Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
• Introduction by Noël Simsolo (6:12)
• Anny Ondra’s screen test (0:57)

From Alfred Hitchcock, the legendary director of Notorious, Lifeboat, North by Northwest and Psycho comes this thriller about a woman fighting off a sleazy blackmailer. Blackmailwas Hitchcock’s first full-length sound film and was only his second foray into the suspense genre. A grocer's daughter, Alice White (Anny Ondra, The Manxman) kills a man in self-defense when he tries to sexually assault her. Her policeman boyfriend, Detective Frank Webber (John Longden, The Skin Game) covers up for her, but she has been spotted leaving the scene by a petty criminal who starts to blackmail her. Based on a play by Charles Bennett (Foreign Correspondent, The 39 Steps) and co-starring Sara Allgood (The Lodger).
Last edited by Kino Insider on Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kino Insider

#2045 Post by Kino Insider » Fri May 24, 2019 11:37 am

agnamaracs wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 8:15 am
L.A. wrote:

Most likely next year.

Kino Insider

#2046 Post by Kino Insider » Fri May 24, 2019 12:03 pm

Coming August 13th - the Master of Suspense's 120th Birthday!

Murder! (1930) with optional English subtitles
• BFI Restoration
• Audio Commentary by Film Critic Nick Pinkerton
• Hitchcock/Truffaut: Icon interviews Icon (Archival Audio)
• MARY: 1931 German version of 'Murder!' also directed by Hitchcock (Up-res)
• Introduction by Noël Simsolo
• Alternate Ending

From Alfred Hitchcock, the legendary director of Number Seventeen, Shadow of a Doubt, Rear Window and The Birds. Hitchcock’s third sound film was a return to the crime genre, adapted by Hitchcock and Walter Mycroft (Champagne) from the play Enter Sir John, written by Clemence Dane (A Bill of Divorcement) and Helen Simpson (Sabotage). An actress, Diana Baring (Norah Baring, A Cottage on Dartmoor) is convicted of the murder of another actress in the same touring company. But the distinguished actor Sir John Menier (Herbert Marshall, The Letter), who served on the jury at her trial, becomes convinced of her innocence and decides to solve the case. Beautifully shot by Joel E. Cox (The Lady Vanishes). This special edition also includes Mary, the 1931 German version of the film also directed by Hitchcock and starring Alfred Abel as Sir John Menier and Olga Tschechowa as Mary Baring.
Last edited by Kino Insider on Fri May 31, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dustybooks

#2047 Post by dustybooks » Fri May 24, 2019 1:56 pm

Kino Insider wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 12:03 pm
the legendary director of Number Seventeen
Nice bit of synergy there...

But seriously, I am overjoyed at these specs. I've been hoping for this kind of treatment for these titles pretty much ever since I had a DVD player. I would really have been happy just with cleaned-up presentations with the alternate versions included, but these extras look great. Is it too much to hope for that films like Rich and Strange will be blessed with similar attention?

Kino Insider

#2048 Post by Kino Insider » Fri May 24, 2019 4:20 pm

We had left off some of the extras on Murders. Just added them.

kcota17

#2049 Post by kcota17 » Fri May 24, 2019 4:33 pm

For Blackmail, the BFI restoration is for the sound version only? What’s the quality on the silent version like?

Kino Insider

#2050 Post by Kino Insider » Fri May 24, 2019 5:39 pm

kcota17 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 4:33 pm
For Blackmail, the BFI restoration is for the sound version only? What’s the quality on the silent version like?
Some at Kino thought it looked better, pretty sure the silent version's restoration was also done by the BFI.
Last edited by Kino Insider on Fri May 24, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.