483 Repulsion

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
justeleblanc

483 Repulsion

#1 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:02 pm

Repulsion

[img]http://criterion_production.s3.amazonaws.com/release_images/2359/483_box_348x490_w100.jpg[/img]

Roman Polanski followed up his international breakthrough Knife in the Water with this controversial, chilling tale of psychosis, starring Catherine Deneuve as Carol, a fragile, frigid young beauty cracking up over the course of a terrifying weekend. Left alone by her vacationing sister in their London flat, Carol is haunted by specters real and imagined, and her insanity grows to a violent pitch. Thanks to its unforgettable attention to disturbing detail and Polanski’s unparalleled adeptness at turning claustrophobic space into an emotional minefield, Repulsion remains one of cinema’s most shocking psychological thrillers.

Disc Features

- New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with an uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
- Audio commentary featuring director Roman Polanski and actress Catherine Deneuve
- A British Horror Film (2003), a documentary on the making of Repulsion, featuring interviews with Polanski, producer Gene Gutowski, and cinematographer Gil Taylor
- A 1964 television documentary filmed on the set of Repulsion, featuring rare footage of Polanski and Deneuve at work
- Theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar and curator Bill Horrigan

DVD
Criterionforum.org user rating averages

Feature currently disabled

Blu-ray
Criterionforum.org user rating averages

Feature currently disabled

rwaits

#2 Post by rwaits » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:26 pm

justeleblanc wrote:I found this on the Film Forum website. I'm not entirely sure if we can expect a decent DVD of this movie to be released from Sony (a la The Passenger) but I thought I would toss this this way.
This 35mm restoration from Sony Pictures, supervised by Grover Crisp, was made directly from the original camera negative and features a new, digitally-restored soundtrack.
I've been waiting on this forever--I really hope this means something. Probably my favorite Polanski, and definitely my favorite psychological horror film ever! Anyone else have any news?

Gordon

#3 Post by Gordon » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:28 pm

Tech wizard and all round good Swedish bloke, Mattias, has posted a comparison of the Anchor Bay UK DVD and Criterion LD of Repulsion.

Nasty! What the fuck is going on with that last one? Jesus, Anchor Bay. #-o

dadaistnun

#4 Post by dadaistnun » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:32 pm

Wow. I'm glad I held off on buying the AB UK set. I've got the Criterion LD and I sprung for the Japanese dvd of Cul-de-Sac which certainly suffices for the time being (it's also 1.66 and looks much closer in framing to the projected print I've seen compared to the AB screenshots posted at the Beav.)

Gordon

#5 Post by Gordon » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:55 am

dadaistnun wrote:Wow. I'm glad I held off on buying the AB UK set.
Oh, I wouldn't go that far - it's a great set. I paid £22/$37 for it. I doubt that the extras on the AB set will show up on other editions and they are all of high quality - the Polankski/Deneuve commentary being one of the Holy Grails of home video. I'll upgrade to a superior transfer if one appears, though.

MichaelB

#6 Post by MichaelB » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:39 am

Gordon wrote:Oh, I wouldn't go that far - it's a great set. I paid £22/$37 for it. I doubt that the extras on the AB set will show up on other editions and they are all of high quality - the Polankski/Deneuve commentary being one of the Holy Grails of home video.
...not to mention pretty much Polanski's entire short film output, stretching right back to his earliest film school projects.

Rupert Pupkin

#7 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:56 am

MichaelB wrote:
Gordon wrote:Oh, I wouldn't go that far - it's a great set. I paid £22/$37 for it. I doubt that the extras on the AB set will show up on other editions and they are all of high quality - the Polankski/Deneuve commentary being one of the Holy Grails of home video.
...not to mention pretty much Polanski's entire short film output, stretching right back to his earliest film school projects.
I do have the Anchor Bay zone 2 UK. Picture quality is okay, the extras (documentary and the commentary with Polanski and Deneuve is great); but I was so happy to hear that a new restored transfer was about to be released on DVD by Sony...(I was also crossing the fingers for a Blu-Ray of Replusion)...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Repulsion (Sony re-release?)

#8 Post by domino harvey » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:18 am

Just FYI, the AB box has Polanski/Deneuve commentary and a fourth disc of Polanski's short films

Murdoch

#9 Post by Murdoch » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:33 am

OK, now I have to get the R2. I'll fork over the 30 euros for the single release to get the commentary, the short films I'm willing to pass up since I'm mostly interested in the Repulsion disc.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#10 Post by domino harvey » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:41 am

I think they may be the same short films on the Criterion for Knife in the Water anyways

Murdoch

#11 Post by Murdoch » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:53 am

Yeah, the CC includes all the shorts plus another short called The Lamp.

nsps

#12 Post by nsps » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:40 am

Murdoch wrote:Since I guess this re-release isn't happening, what is the best release available? The only other dvd I can find is the Anchor Bay R2 for over $30! I own the terrible, cropped R1 release and each time I watch it a little of me dies.
I died a little just being reminded of that atrocious so-called "DVD." It may be the worst release I own.

kinjitsu

483 Repulsion

#13 Post by kinjitsu » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:09 pm

Announced: 483 Repulsion

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: 483 Repulsion

#14 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:11 pm

And the commentary should be a port of the Anchor Bay R2/ Criterion laserdisc, I imagine

kaujot

#15 Post by kaujot » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:12 pm

Do you know if they were recorded separately, or in the same room?

tavernier

#16 Post by tavernier » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:15 pm

He was sitting on her lap.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#17 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:16 pm

You owe me a new keyboard

MTRodaba2468

#18 Post by MTRodaba2468 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:36 pm

I am absolutely THRILLED to see Criterion release this, on Blu-Ray no less!

HistoryProf

#19 Post by HistoryProf » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:30 pm

holy cow. i have a GC to border's and was perusing the Criterion site to decide what to get and noticed this on the upcoming page and about crapped my pants!! Holy cow what a surprise! Summer is a bad time for me financially, but Criterion is on an absolute TEAR right now! =D>

kaujot

#20 Post by kaujot » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:08 pm

HistoryProf wrote:holy cow. i have a GC to border's and was perusing the Criterion site to decide what to get and noticed this on the upcoming page and about crapped my pants!! Holy cow what a surprise! Summer is a bad time for me financially, but Criterion is on an absolute TEAR right now! =D>
Better hurry up and use it before Borders goes out of business.

neal

#21 Post by neal » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:30 pm

Thank god. I almost forked over too much money that I don't have for the r2 disc. I had the good fortune of seeing this on film at MOMA some time in the last year and I've wanted to see it again ever since.

Hofmeister

#22 Post by Hofmeister » Wed May 20, 2009 8:42 am

nsps wrote:I died a little just being reminded of that atrocious so-called "DVD." It may be the worst release I own.
I trust you've never seen the 'Cinema Sirens' release then; the cover says it all, so I've posted it in the relevant section.

Peruse at your own risk – I will not be responsible for cases of spontaneous retinal detachment.

Murdoch

#23 Post by Murdoch » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:32 pm

beav

With this and the Marienbad release I've been pushed to upgrade to blu, I can't resist anymore. =P~

dadaistnun

#24 Post by dadaistnun » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:54 pm

Murdoch wrote:beav

With this and the Marienbad release I've been pushed to upgrade to blu, I can't resist anymore.
Yeah, with Repulsion, Marienbad, & The Red Shoes (all three big favorites of mine) coming out in quick succession I'm feeling the pull, too. Other economic forces beckon, alas.
Last edited by dadaistnun on Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Antoine Doinel

#25 Post by Antoine Doinel » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:29 am

BluRay.com weighs in.