336 Dazed and Confused

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
PfR73

336 Dazed and Confused

#1 Post by PfR73 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:47 pm

Dazed and Confused

[img]http://criterion_production.s3.amazonaws.com/release_images/1732/336_dazed_w100.jpg[/img]

America, 1976. The last day of school. Bongs blaze, bell-bottoms ring, and rock and roll rocks. Among the best teen films ever made, Richard Linklater’s Dazed and Confused eavesdrops on a group of seniors-to-be and incoming freshmen. A launching pad for a number of future stars, Linklater’s first studio effort also features endlessly quotable dialogue and a blasting, stadium-ready soundtrack. Sidestepping nostalgia, Dazed and Confused is less about “the best years of our lives” than the boredom, angst, and excitement of teenagers waiting . . . for something to happen.

DIRECTOR APPROVED DEFINITIVE SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET:

- All new high-definition digital transfer, supervised by director Richard Linklater and cinematographer Lee Daniel
- Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 soundtracks
- Audio commentary by Linklater
- Making “Dazed,” a 50-minute documentary by filmmaker Kahane Corn
- Rare on-set interviews and behind-the-scenes footage
- Footage from the ten-year anniversary celebration
- Audition footage
- Deleted Scenes
- Original trailer
- Optional English subtitles
- A 72-page book featuring new essays by Kent Jones, Jim DeRogatis, and Chuck Klosterman; memories of the film from cast and crew; and character profiles. And the original film poster designed by Frank Kozik

Criterionforum.org user rating averages

Feature currently disabled

Cinesimilitude

#2 Post by Cinesimilitude » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:57 pm

PfR73 wrote:
Austin American Statesman

Arts & Entertainment

2003 marked the 10th anniversary of Richard Linklater's enduringly great 'Dazed And Confused,' and the film's hometown - Austin - partied in appropraite manner with a thronged anniversary soiree thrown by the Austin Film Society. Having the cast and the producers in town for the bash made it easy to film all the key players in one place, and that's what AMC did for the new doc 'Making Dazed,' premiering at 9pm, Sunday on cable channel 63.
Shot at Linklater's bucolic home outside Austin, the fun, illuminating program includes behind the scenes footage of a shaggy haired Linklater at work in 1992 and new interviews with actors whose careers were launched by the movie: Matthew McConaughey, Parker Posey, Ben Affleck, and Adam Goldberg. Hear about the passion, the struggles, and the '70s wigs in this festive slice of Austin movie lore.
And keep your eyes peeled for the upcoming deluxe DVD of 'Dazed And Confused' from Criterion.
I know Linklater was really mad about Universal's rush job on the "Flashback Edition" of Dazed and was lobbying for them to license it to Criterion after the great job they did with Slacker. I guess he's actually convinced them to do it. Anybody else know anything more?
I haven't heard anything, but it's a welcome addition. If only Warner would license Before Sunrise and Before Sunset to criterion. a 2 disc special edition of those would be AWESOME.

emcflat

#3 Post by emcflat » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:32 pm

WHAT? I can't find this article archived on the Statesman's site. I did notice the AMC doc listed on AMC's site a few weeks ago but I didn't get to watch it (anybody see it?) This is tantalizing.

PfR73

#4 Post by PfR73 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:47 pm

DrewReiber

#5 Post by DrewReiber » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:21 pm

They've been talking about this for a while, but I'm still surprised Linklater was able to get Universal & Criterion moving on it as soon as they released the recent DVD.

daniel p

#6 Post by daniel p » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:33 pm

With the catalog Criterion has amassed over the more recent years, I just don't think this film fits in. I guess along side My Own Private Idaho it might look ok, but I could name so many more films I'd rather see receive the CC treatment.

analoguezombie

#7 Post by analoguezombie » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:37 pm

daniel p wrote:With the catalog Criterion has amassed over the more recent years, I just don't think this film fits in. I guess along side My Own Private Idaho it might look ok, but I could name so many more films I'd rather see receive the CC treatment.
sure but Criterion's also a business and this would be a great seller for them. It's not as if the Life Aquatic, or The Rock, or Armageddon, seem to fit the standard Criterion mold either.

daniel p

#8 Post by daniel p » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:53 pm

I think Life Aquatic fits ok, but I was talking about their more recent releases. I'm well aware of the Michael Bay releases.

I guess, a big seller it would be, and like mentioned by others before, a money spinner only helps those harder to get releases, and greater restorations, so I'm all for that. I just wish it was Before Sunset/Sunrise instead... more worthy films imo.

I'd put this film with the likes of My Own Private Idaho and Chasing Amy.

rwaits

#9 Post by rwaits » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:33 pm

Dazed and Confused sucks. So does Slacker.

Cinesimilitude

#10 Post by Cinesimilitude » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:23 pm

daniel p wrote:I just wish it was Before Sunset/Sunrise instead... more worthy films imo.
The most worthy linklater films of all.

ianungstad

#11 Post by ianungstad » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:37 pm

I was a teenager when I first saw Dazed and Confused. It probably became my favorite movie of the time. It's a film that touched a lot of people; many who rented it expecting a typical stoner comedy and came away with so much more. Criterion has always been about diversity, so strip away your faux prentious attitude; not really appreciated.

FilmFanSea

#12 Post by FilmFanSea » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:43 pm

It doesn't offend me that Dazed and Confused might become part of the collection. Though Slacker didn't do much for me, Linklater is still a significant contemporary director who is 'Criterion-worthy.' I'm all for diversity and expanding the company's fanbase (within reason)---anything that will help to pay for all those Ozu, Naruse, and Mizoguchi titles I'm looking forward to.

daniel p

#13 Post by daniel p » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:20 am

ianungstad wrote:I was a teenager when I first saw Dazed and Confused, so strip away your faux prentious attitude; not really appreciated.
Well I am sorry then... :twisted:
FilmFanSea wrote:It doesn't offend me that Dazed and Confused might become part of the collection. Though Slacker didn't do much for me, Linklater is still a significant contemporary director who is 'Criterion-worthy.' I'm all for diversity and expanding the company's fanbase (within reason)---anything that will help to pay for all those Ozu, Naruse, and Mizoguchi titles I'm looking forward to.
Not that I consider myself a huge fan of Slacker, I appreciate what Linklater did with it, and quite enjoyed watching it.

It wasn't merely a sheep in disguise like Dazed & Confused.

justeleblanc

#14 Post by justeleblanc » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:38 am

Does anyone else feel like they're a character in Dark City? I swore that a few years ago I fell asleep one night and Linkletter was just Linkletter, and when I woke up the next morning he was suddenly a brilliant director.

To be quite honest, School of Rock was his best film... and I've seen them all.

neuro

#15 Post by neuro » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:17 am

I swore that a few years ago I fell asleep one night and Linkletter was just Linkletter, and when I woke up the next morning he was suddenly a brilliant director.
Oh c'mon... Champagne for Caesar was good!

Napoleon

#16 Post by Napoleon » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:12 am

JusteLeblanc wrote:Does anyone else feel like they're a character in Dark City? I swore that a few years ago I fell asleep one night and Linkletter was just Linkletter, and when I woke up the next morning he was suddenly a brilliant director.

To be quite honest, School of Rock was his best film... and I've seen them all.
No, Dazed and Confused and Slacker were acknowledged as soon as they got into circulation. Before Sunrise's stock has increased since its release.

You really think that School Of Rock is a better film than Dazed and Confused? Or are you being fashionably contrary?

GringoTex

#17 Post by GringoTex » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:29 am

daniel p wrote:It wasn't merely a sheep in disguise like Dazed & Confused.
What kind of disguise? D&C is the greatest, most honest portrayal of high school ever put on film. It's the standard by which all others are judged. It's also a highly inteliigent, subtle film- even Rosenbaum didn't understand it when he first reviewed it (he's since retracted that review and now believes it's a great film).

cdnchris
Site Admin

#18 Post by cdnchris » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:36 am

Yeah, but it's popular with a young age group, even today's younger generation, so, you know, it must suck.

Fletch F. Fletch

#19 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:45 am

daniel p wrote:I think Life Aquatic fits ok, but I was talking about their more recent releases. I'm well aware of the Michael Bay releases.

I guess, a big seller it would be, and like mentioned by others before, a money spinner only helps those harder to get releases, and greater restorations, so I'm all for that. I just wish it was Before Sunset/Sunrise instead... more worthy films imo.

I'd put this film with the likes of My Own Private Idaho and Chasing Amy.
It's good to hear that Dazed will finally get the Criterion treatment. I imagine a snazzy package a la Slacker which I think is one of Linklater's best even though Before Sunrise is probably the one of his I watch the most. And I would certainly second a Criterion edition of Sunrise/Sunset. That would be so sweet considering the existing bare bones editions that are out there.

However, as others have said, a SE of Dazed is a no brainer considering the sizeable cult following this movie has. Can't wait!

justeleblanc

#20 Post by justeleblanc » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:54 am

First, I'm not being contrary, but I just never got into D & C as much as his other films. I enjoyed it, but it's not his best.

And Slacker? I always thought that film was tedious. (And don't say, "That was the point.")

Cinesimilitude

#21 Post by Cinesimilitude » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:00 am

Is anyone else here hoping for a third helping of Jesse and Celine in the future? I know it's perfectly tied up at the end of sunset, but I could go for another movie or two, maybe they get married and the third deals with a seperation on their 10th anniversary, and then the 4th could be about rekindling the love they have had since they met on the train in vienna. They could even bookend it and have them both visit the so called scene of the crime 30 years to the day after they met.

Apart from the Truffaut's Doinel films, do any of you know of more series of films that deal with a person or people over many years?

ByMarkClark.com

#22 Post by ByMarkClark.com » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:17 am

If you were in high school when D&C came out, what you can't appreicate is how Linklater's film absolutely nails the experience of attending a red neck high school in the 1970s (an experience I myself survived).

Although it has other merits, too (not the least of which being that it is at times side-splittingly funny), for me the main attraction with D&C is how vividly it recreates its period and setting. The only other film I can think of that evokes the "feel" of the 70s with as much verisimilitude and emotional resonance is Ang Lee's THE ICE STORM.

oldsheperd

#23 Post by oldsheperd » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:40 am

I was in High School when this film came out and I think it transcends its time and has an appeal to anyone familiar to burnouts, cool jocks and different high school fringe groups. I can actually relate to the characters in this movie more than any other high school film. Partying all night, hooking up with girls. Yeah, this film transcends.

Fletch F. Fletch

#24 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:34 pm

JusteLeblanc wrote:First, I'm not being contrary, but I just never got into D & C as much as his other films. I enjoyed it, but it's not his best.

And Slacker? I always thought that film was tedious. (And don't say, "That was the point.")
Heh. Darn! Seriously though, I always though of Slacker as a snapshot of a specific place at a specific time. That's why I found it funny when this film was trumpeted by critics as a manifesto for Generation X and how the word "slacker" became synonymous with laziness. In fact, Linklater addresses this on one of the commentary tracks. Everyone in the movie is engaged in something whether it be conspirarcy theories, looking for a missing friend and getting over a girlfriend.

I also enjoy the film's structure, which upon initially viewing feels very loose and improvisational but the more times you watch it, you realize how tightly structured it really is. The flow and ebb of the narrative is what always engages me... how the film moves from character or group of characters to another group once it gets bored of them. As a result, there are so many vignettes or moments that I find so funny and entertaining.

tasog37

#25 Post by tasog37 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:09 pm

SncDthMnky wrote:Apart from the Truffaut's Doinel films, do any of you know of more series of films that deal with a person or people over many years?

I'm here to represent for Ingmar Bergman! He put out Scenes from a Marriage in 1973 dealing with Johan and Marrianne's marriage troubles and whatnot.

THEN, in 2003, he put out Sarabandin which Marianne went back after 30 years to see how Johan was doing and what not. (It was released in 2003 in Sweden but played theatrically here in the states a month or two ago)

That's right, same actors and everything 30 years later. And man, if it wasn't amazing. Let's pray for a Criterion of Saraband. Also, I'm definitely seconding the hope for a box set with Before Sunrise and Before Sunset. I think that would be really neat.

Also, back on topic, I think Dazed and Confused was a good idea for Criterion. It will sell bunches and it's pretty fun, too.