38-39 Branded to Kill & Tokyo Drifter

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
matrixschmatrix

Re: 38-39 Branded to Kill & Tokyo Drifter

#76 Post by matrixschmatrix » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:56 pm

I really wish they would have gotten Rayns in for a commentary, or at least a visual essay- he's consistently interesting, and it seems like he has a strong enough interest in these to sustain talking about them for a while. I mean, I'll probably get these anyway, because it's the only game in town. But still.

Napier

#77 Post by Napier » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:23 pm

Wow! Beaver on Branded to kill. No doubt, these will be the upgrades of the year.

The Narrator Returns

#78 Post by The Narrator Returns » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:54 pm

I noticed that, while there is more information in the frame compared to the original Criterion, there is less information on the left and right sides compared to the Metronome, with this being most evident in the third set of captures.

But that's small potatoes compared to the enormous leap in quality between the three discs. The old Criterion looked overly-bright and too digital, the Metronome looked dark and murky, and the new Criterion looks film-like and sharp.

matrixschmatrix

#79 Post by matrixschmatrix » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:51 pm

Wow, that's an insane leap in quality. I really appreciate these rereleases, it feels like Criterion's going back and cleaning up after itself on every disc that isn't up to snuff.

TMDaines

#80 Post by TMDaines » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:50 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:Wow, that's an insane leap in quality. I really appreciate these rereleases, it feels like Criterion's going back and cleaning up after itself on every disc that isn't up to snuff.
I know that a lot of people don't believe that The Night Porter is even a good film, yet alone a great film, but I'd like to see them go back and re-do this gremlin in their collection, least of all because every release of it has been terrible.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#81 Post by tenia » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:51 pm

TMDaines wrote:I know that a lot of people don't believe that The Night Porter is even a good film, yet alone a great film, but I'd like to see them go back and re-do this gremlin in their collection, least of all because every release of it has been terrible.
Well, the French BD which has just been released is said to be quite beautiful.

ccfixx

#82 Post by ccfixx » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:53 pm

Gregory

#83 Post by Gregory » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:15 pm

If I was ever aware the DVD was that "squished" horizontally, I'd forgotten it. The actors in the old release look obviously distorted. They might sometimes appear a tiny bit too wide on the new release, but I'm pretty sure that's the natural distortion of the lens. I measured the middle porthole shelf in the fourth screencap and it's pretty close to a perfect circle (he said, nerdily).
I sold my DVDs of this and Branded to Kill 5+ years ago deciding to wait for anamorphic upgrades before watching these films again, but this is much better of course.

knives

#84 Post by knives » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:57 pm

Night and day, though that second shot looks a little too washed out.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#85 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:47 pm

Holy Cow, the old DVD looks worse than many a HK Panorama release.

Feego

#86 Post by Feego » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:51 am

knives wrote:Night and day, though that second shot looks a little too washed out.
Blu-ray.com has this to say about that black-and-white shot:
Contrary to what has been said, the contrasty and oversaturated black and white prologue looks exactly as it should, (and it is explained why by director Suzuki in one of the supplemental features on the disc).

Napier

#87 Post by Napier » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:55 am

I'd forgot how awesome these films are. Just got the blu's today, and I did them back to back. They look so sweet near the new Fuller's. Nice upgrades.

manicsounds

#88 Post by manicsounds » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:02 am

Finally got around to watching "Tokyo Drifter" on Blu-ray, and the colors are completely different from that old DVD I had years ago. I remember the snow scenes having that strange purple traingular tints that bothered me, but they seem to have been corrected to a correct 'shade', as also the final showdown being 'white' as opposed to a weird manila color. I was used to the old color scheme, as that's how I remember it, but the Blu-ray gets the colors to something much more accurate and no more chroma bug ....

By the way, did anyone know that there is a sequel to "Tokyo Drifter"?

"Zoku: Tokyo Nagaremono: Umi Wa Makka Na Koi No Iro" ("Tokyo Monogatari 2: The Sea Is Bright Red As The Color Of Love")

Yup, it is out on DVD in Japan, without subtitles or extras. Although it was NOT directed by Suzuki, but starring Tetsuya Watari and Chieko Matsubara reprising their roles.

The opening 10 minutes

manicsounds

#89 Post by manicsounds » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:38 am

Well, I guess no one seems to know since it's not even listed on imdb. I've submitted it as a 'new' title.

colinr0380

#90 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:39 pm

Wow, that's a great find! From that clip it looks a lot more conventional than the Seijun Suzuki film, but I suppose that shouldn't be too surprising! (My fingers are crossed for another Nikkatsu Noir box from Criterion at some point, so perhaps we should bring this title to their attention!)

manicsounds

#91 Post by manicsounds » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:22 pm

Yeah, even with the studio trouble Suzuki got into with the 'weirdness' of the film, it was still a hit, mostly because of the theme song. And within the same year, came the sequel. Movie productions were really fast in those days... and obviously they chose a different director. But with the same 2 leads, plus the same producer, writer, and music composer.

manicsounds

#92 Post by manicsounds » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:27 pm

Well, finally did it after many delays and 'proof of existence' etc, Tokyo Drifter 2 listing

Now I'm trying to think of what other 'missing' titles are out there, particularly other Suzuki-involved films or sequels to his films.

knives

#93 Post by knives » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:31 pm

Hundreds, just look at the Kluge thread (which just scratches the surface) versus the 66 on the site.

nickoberg

#94 Post by nickoberg » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:05 pm

i don't speak japanese, but i'm pretty sure the subtitles on the Interview with Suzuki from 1997 on TOKYO DRIFT were way off. suzuki spoke a whole lot more than what was written. seemed like they weren't even lined up.

skuhn8

#95 Post by skuhn8 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:59 am

nickoberg wrote:i don't speak japanese, but i'm pretty sure the subtitles on the Interview with Suzuki from 1997 on TOKYO DRIFT were way off. suzuki spoke a whole lot more than what was written. seemed like they weren't even lined up.
Probably same gal translated that was translating to Bill Murray in Lost in Translation. She gets around.

kindaikun

#96 Post by kindaikun » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:31 am

nickoberg wrote:i don't speak japanese, but i'm pretty sure the subtitles on the Interview with Suzuki from 1997 on TOKYO DRIFTER were way off. suzuki spoke a whole lot more than what was written. seemed like they weren't even lined up.
I'll be happy to post a full translation, if there's much difference, when me disc arrives in the next week or so.

manicsounds

#97 Post by manicsounds » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:12 am

He definitely speaks a lot more, and the subtitles simplify way too much, but they get the main points across. Thought so when I saw the old DVDs as well. Criterion should've re-done the subtitles. And as you said, timing was terrible.

As for the newer ones, the interview with Shishido, it seems like he shoots himself in the leg, no?

manicsounds

#98 Post by manicsounds » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:58 pm

I can't find any English news sites on this but Joe Shishido's home burned down completely in a fire. Luckily he was out at the time and no one was killed.

jojo

#99 Post by jojo » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:15 pm

Jo Shishido and Mari Annu got together again recently to promote some Branded to Kill T-shirts.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#100 Post by tenia » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:28 pm

A French BD release of Tokyo Drifter has been released earlier this month. I've compared it to the quite well-received Criterion 2011 release, and it turns out it's massively different, to the point the Criterion looks like the Female Prisoner Scorpion movies from the Arrow set.

The comparisons can be found here : #1, #2, #3 and #4.

Interestingly, Tokyo Drifter's Criterion technical notes state that the restoration was created from a 35mm low-contrast print, which is what the FPS movies were using too (low-contrast prints).

I have no idea which is best in case of the Suzuki, because the more "regular" look of the French release doesn't look vastly off, though it clearly looks dated with its coarser grain, but on the other hand, the Criterion looks absolutely over-contrasted in comparison, to the point many elements seems now lost in this overly contrasted look.