1220 Bound

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Finch

1220 Bound

#1 Post by Finch » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:29 pm

Before they blew the world’s mind with The Matrix, Lana and Lilly Wachowski delivered a jolt of pure pulp pleasure with their hyperstylish debut, which puts a deliciously sapphic spin on a crackerjack caper premise. When butch plumber Corky (Gina Gershon) catches the eye of alluring femme (fatale) Violet (Jennifer Tilly), little does she know she’s about to be drawn into both a torrid affair and a high-stakes heist that will pit the pair against the mob. With crackling dialogue, luscious neonoir cinematography, and live-wire performances by Gershon, Tilly, and Joe Pantoliano, Bound is a genre-reimagining joyride that keeps both the tension and the erotic heat rising through each crazily careening twist.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED 4K UHD + BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

New 4K digital restoration, supervised and approved by cinematographer Bill Pope, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
Audio commentary featuring directors Lana and Lilly Wachowski; actors Gina Gershon, Joe Pantoliano, and Jennifer Tilly; editor Zach Staenberg; and technical consultant Susie Bright
New video essay by film critic Christina Newland
Six interview programs featuring Gershon, Pantoliano, Pope, Staenberg, Tilly, actor Christopher Meloni, composer Don Davis, title designer Patti Podesta, and film scholars Jennifer Moorman and B. Ruby Rich
Trailers
English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing

New cover by Drusilla Adeline/Sister Hyde Design

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: 1220 Bound

#2 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:11 pm

Yet another release of this film and with almost nothing new added. Indeed, it appears to carry over all of the Olive Signature extras

dwk

#3 Post by dwk » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:14 pm

It does add a "New video essay by film critic Christina Newland." and a new 4K transfer.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:17 pm

Yep, that would be the sole new on disc extra I was referring to. Does that extra merit a Criterion release? I have no doubt Arrow or any other label would have gotten around to a 4K of this anyways (and probably would add more into the package to merit a double/triple dip for those more receptive to the film), so hard to see that as much of a selling point here

DRW.mov

#5 Post by DRW.mov » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:20 pm

Arrow licensed it from Lionsgate (who hold the rights in the UK) originally, and whom they haven’t licensed from in nearly a decade. I wouldn’t hold my breath.

ryannichols7

#6 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:23 pm

I'm just amazed how many big movies are waiting for their first Bluray (Real Life and Petulia are two I mentioned elsewhere) but yet this movie gets its fourth boutique release. I get that the 4K is cool but truly this feels like a waste of a slot. are Criterion gonna release The Matrix too?

dwk

#7 Post by dwk » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:24 pm

Most of Arrow's UHDs, with some exceptions, have been pretty much straight ports of their Blu-rays, and I assume that would be the case with this as I'm not sure how likely any of the cast or crew would be willing to sit for another interview about the film. Or, frankly if such interviews would even yield anything new.

The Narrator Returns

#8 Post by The Narrator Returns » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:53 pm

I certainly wish they could've added more (not that I'd imagine Lana or Lilly would sit down for it, even on the commentary it's like pulling teeth trying to get them to talk about it), but like dwk said there's no reason to believe any other boutique would do better with it than this, and at that point I'm wholly in favor of it going to the label that will guarantee the most eyes on it. I get the frustration of Criterion moving mainstream but it was still surprising and disheartening to see the immediate reaction to this here be "why are you releasing this?", and it reminds me of some of the meaner takes about Matrix Resurrections I saw here. Nobody is obligated to like the Wachowskis or any directors, but I want people to know how it feels to read some of these dismissals as someone who finds a great deal of personal meaning in their work.
ryannichols7 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:23 pm
are Criterion gonna release The Matrix too?
No, but god willing they've got a Speed Racer 4K in the pipeline.

DRW.mov

#9 Post by DRW.mov » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:08 pm

Also it is worth noting (aka screaming from the mountain tops) that this is the FIRST film in the collection from a trans filmmaker. That’s a really big deal. On top of the fact that it’s just through and through an incredible film.

ryannichols7

#10 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:28 pm

while that's not something to be discredited, I do again feel like there was an opportunity for something that didn't already have a disc, let alone be released the number of times this has. maybe something by Isobel Sandoval? or any of the filmmakers who are featured on the channel

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#11 Post by swo17 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:29 pm

I love Joe Pantoliano in this so much and welcome this release but if Arrow announce a 4K for the UK I'll probably buy that instead

DRW.mov

#12 Post by DRW.mov » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:34 pm

Considering that Arrow doesn’t license from Lionsgate any more, and Criterion does (even in the UK, see: Eve’s Bayou), I wouldn’t be shocked if they do it over there.

zedz

#13 Post by zedz » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:40 pm

DRW.mov wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:08 pm
Also it is worth noting (aka screaming from the mountain tops) that this is the FIRST film in the collection from a trans filmmaker. That’s a really big deal. On top of the fact that it’s just through and through an incredible film.
It's just a shame that it's not a film by a trans filmmaker that's also a great film.

Matt

#14 Post by Matt » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:14 pm

To the Millennial/Zoomer Queer Film Reclamation Squad (complimentary) this is like Citizen Kane. This is going to shift thousands.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#15 Post by swo17 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:43 pm

zedz wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:40 pm
DRW.mov wrote:
It's just a shame that it's not a film by a trans filmmaker that's also a great film.
Please do suggest some titles you think would be good for Criterion to focus on

knives

#16 Post by knives » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:05 pm

zedz wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:40 pm
DRW.mov wrote:
Yeah, it was bubbling even before they went public, but younger queer folk (and it seems the younger the moreso) really adore these films. I suspect it was their show of all things that guaranteed them this adoring fan base.

zedz

#17 Post by zedz » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:16 pm

D. Smith's Kokomo City leaps to mind. And I agree with ryannichols that Isabel Sandoval would have been a more interesting choice.

But hopefully this is just the first of many such releases.

DRW.mov

#18 Post by DRW.mov » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:30 pm

I don’t know a single trans or even queer person who doesn’t totally ADORE this movie, ranking it very highly. As mentioned above, it’s been really embraced by younger queer audiences. It’s a very big part of the queer cinema canon whether you want it to be or not. And the Olive and Arrow releases have both been out of print and hard to come by for sometime. Making this film readily available again AND in 4K is a very great move. It’s gonna be a BIG seller this July sale.

ryannichols7

#19 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:35 pm

zedz wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:16 pm
D. Smith's Kokomo City leaps to mind. And I agree with ryannichols that Isabel Sandoval would have been a more interesting choice.

But hopefully this is just the first of many such releases.
Sandoval has even had a closet video and a bunch of press from Criterion. I don't know the rights situation there, but I can't imagine it would be difficult for Criterion to release any of those films. I feel like that's a way bigger opportunity (and giving someone new a spotlight, especially a POC...which Criterion are otherwise all about these days) than tossing out this big studio release for the fourth time. I'm sure it'll sell, I'm sure all of us are wasting our time complaining about it (we are, this label obviously has their interests elsewhere these days), but it's still an immensely disappointing, underwhelming release

also, if Arrow's edition is OOP, I'm surprised it's on their website still

The Narrator Returns

#20 Post by The Narrator Returns » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:21 pm

The assumption that this precludes or delays releases of movies from Isabel Sandoval or any other trans filmmakers you say you like is incredibly faulty, and the idea that this is a “big studio release” like the Wachowskis’ following movies is a laugh. I’m trying to be nice about this but as has been laid out, this is a canonical queer/trans text and being so snotty about it is unbecoming at very best. Just say you don’t like the Wachowskis and let that be it, don’t try to frame this as Criterion not digging dip enough for its progressiveness.

Also, I might amend the “first trans filmmaker in Criterion” statement to include Michael (Nikki) Cimino, but that’s a whole other can of worms.

otis

#21 Post by otis » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:56 pm

DRW.mov wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:30 pm
I don’t know a single trans or even queer person who doesn’t totally ADORE this movie, ranking it very highly.
Is there anything in particular about the film that makes it popular with the trans people you know?

The Narrator Returns

#22 Post by The Narrator Returns » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:54 pm

As a flesh-and-blood trans person, I can give you a summary: Aside from it being made by the two most popular and beloved trans directors (despite what some here would say), and that a lesbian crime thriller this well-made is way up any LGBTQ person's ally, everything about Jennifer Tilly (being the only woman in an intensely male social setting, the voice-switching depending on who she's in the room with, etc.) hits me as a very obvious trans metaphor, a cis woman stuck with the dysphoria of having to perform a gender role that's not her. I could start crying thinking about what the Wachowskis were pouring into her and that adds a whole other dimension to what's otherwise "merely" a superb noir exercise, you're watching two women try to figure themselves out both on-screen and off-.

ryannichols7

#23 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:05 pm

The Narrator Returns wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:21 pm
The assumption that this precludes or delays releases of movies from Isabel Sandoval or any other trans filmmakers you say you like is incredibly faulty, and the idea that this is a “big studio release” like the Wachowskis’ following movies is a laugh. I’m trying to be nice about this but as has been laid out, this is a canonical queer/trans text and being so snotty about it is unbecoming at very best. Just say you don’t like the Wachowskis and let that be it, don’t try to frame this as Criterion not digging dip enough for its progressiveness.

Also, I might amend the “first trans filmmaker in Criterion” statement to include Michael (Nikki) Cimino, but that’s a whole other can of worms.
nothing was intended to be snotty. this is a movie that just feels very redundant in terms of having boutique releases already, and that's all I'm disappointed about. I suggested Sandoval as another filmmaker who doesn't have any films on disc. you're right, I do happen to not be a fan of these directors at all, but I also fully recognize these movies aren't made for me at all and don't go out of my way to not enjoy them. I do, however, have an issue with the film's release being redundant, something that doesn't have anything to do with the Wachowskis or their identity - I have said the same about numerous other films on here and lamented the same ideal, regardless of race, gender, orientation, et al - I just wish Criterion would use their resources in better places

I didn't say anything about Cimino so I won't address that one, but something told me there's no way Bound was the first. but this is also the label that just only recently released their first Hungarian film (Adoption) not too long ago. luckily it's been followed by two more since, and I'm sure that will be the case for the trans community of filmmakers also.

therewillbeblus

#24 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:07 pm

Well said, Narrator, that's the type of analysis that makes me turn around and give a film another try under new light. Not that it was meant for me, but selfishly, thanks for sharing your reading!

Mr Sausage

#25 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:35 pm

I gotta say, I saw the movie like 20 years ago on tv and enjoyed it fine, but the sheer passion and intensity this release is getting from some members here is really making me want to revisit the film. Your comments, The Narrator Returns, were really interesting. I'd love to read a detailed trans reading of the movie.