1219 Girlfight

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Finch

1219 Girlfight

#1 Post by Finch » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:53 pm

Bullied by her father at home and feeling adrift at school, Diana Guzman (Michelle Rodriguez) finds refuge in an unexpected pocket of her native Brooklyn—a timeworn boxing gym, where she learns to channel her strength, discovers a sense of community, and falls for a rival fighter. In Karyn Kusama’s raw, understated feature debut, Rodriguez commands the screen with both tightly coiled intensity and deep wells of vulnerability as a young woman hitting back at society’s expectations and her own personal demons. Capturing the full emotional weight of Diana’s journey and the kinetic thrill of bodies in motion, Kusama crafts a singularly uncompromising story of self-realization.

FILM INFO
United States
111 minutes
Color
1.85:1
English
Spine #1219

DIRECTOR-APPROVED BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
New 4K digital restoration, supervised by director Karyn Kusama and director of photography Patrick Cady, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
Audio commentary featuring Kusama
New interviews with Kusama, editor Plummy Tucker, and composer Theodore Shapiro
Trailer
English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
PLUS: An essay by author Carmen Maria Machado

New cover by Jillian Adel

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: 1219 Girlfight

#2 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:19 pm

Very odd to have no participation from Michelle Rodriguez

ryannichols7

#3 Post by ryannichols7 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:52 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:19 pm
I remember when I was a fan of Lost, she was supposedly extremely difficult to work with. someone may know more about that than me, but maybe that's part of it. but Kidman wasn't brought in for To Die For so who knows what's really happening, I feel like the actor interviews would be pretty crucial to these movies

therewillbeblus

#4 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:19 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:52 pm
domino harvey wrote:
I remember when I was a fan of Lost, she was supposedly extremely difficult to work with. someone may know more about that than me, but maybe that's part of it.
My recollection is that she was kicked off the show after a drunk-driving/public drunkenness incident on location but off shooting hours in Hawaii with the lady who played Hurley's love interest
Spoilers for LOSTShow
because it drove me nuts that they both got terminated, and we never got a *satisfying explanation as to why the psychiatrist is a patient with Hurley in the flashback reveal!

*we get something forced in there in season six when she comes back at the end (as did Rodriguez I think?)
so if one was to speculate I'd go with personal problems, though no need to do that plus it could just as easily be Criterion's lazy attitude

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:28 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:52 pm
domino harvey wrote:
I remember when I was a fan of Lost, she was supposedly extremely difficult to work with. someone may know more about that than me, but maybe that's part of it. but Kidman wasn't brought in for To Die For so who knows what's really happening, I feel like the actor interviews would be pretty crucial to these movies
That one may have coincided with the actor strike, at least

beamish14

#6 Post by beamish14 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:55 pm

domino harvey wrote:
I’m more surprised by the absence of John Sayles/Maggie Renzi, who financed this film and contributed to the Lone Star release