950 Some Like It Hot

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
ellipsis7

950 Some Like It Hot

#1 Post by ellipsis7 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:11 pm

Some Like It Hot

One of the most beloved films of all time, this sizzling masterpiece by Billy Wilder set a new standard for Hollywood comedy. After witnessing a mob hit, Chicago musicians Joe and Jerry (Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon, in landmark performances) skip town by donning drag and joining an all-female band en route to Miami. The charm of the group's singer, Sugar Kane (Marilyn Monroe, at the height of her bombshell powers) leads them ever further into extravagant lies, as Joe assumes the persona of a millionaire to woo her and Jerry's female alter ego winds up engaged to a tycoon. With a whip-smart script by Wilder and I. A. L. Diamond, and sparking chemistry among its finely tuned cast, Some Like It Hot is as deliriously funny and fresh today as if it had just been made.

SPECIAL FEATURES

• New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
• Audio commentary from 1989 featuring film scholar Howard Suber
• New program on Orry-Kelly's costumes for the film, featuring costume designer and historian Deborah Nadoolman Landis and costume historian and archivist Larry McQueen
• Three making-of documentaries
• Appearance from 1982 by director Billy Wilder on The Dick Cavett Show
• Conversation from 2001 between actor Tony Curtis and film critic Leonard Maltin
• French television interview from 1988 with actor Jack Lemmon
• Trailer
• PLUS: An essay by author Sam Wasson

Ribs

Re: Forthcoming: Some Like It Hot

#2 Post by Ribs » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:23 pm

ellipsis7 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:11 pm
Announced today in Venice Classics 2018...
SOME LIKE IT HOT
by BILLY WILDER (USA, 1959, 121', B/W)
restoration: Park Circus in collaboration with Metro Goldwyn Mayer and The Criterion Collection
I have not seen this since the second grade, as the prevailing opinion seems to be it doesn’t really deserve it’s all-time-great status even among Wilder’s films. Excited that one of the labels is doing it, regardless (still confused how Arrow ended up with Apartment, mind)...

ng4996
the Wizard of Ozu

#3 Post by ng4996 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:56 pm

This is actually my favorite Wilder, and I watch it several times a year, never thought I'd see a Criterion release, so this has me incredibly excited. I know we don't really have a way of knowing, but does anyone suspect that if they could land this one, that we could see other major Wilder works coming?

KirkG

#4 Post by KirkG » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:01 pm

I still recall when I was working as a projectionist for my University’s film class, and they showed this. I’d seen it multiple times, but it was a blast to watch the students who had never even heard of it before reacting to each comedic beat (which I already knew was coming) with full-throated laughter. So I think it does deserve its reputation as one of the great comedies.

ryannichols7

#5 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:04 pm

they really can license anything these days. very cool they're helping with the restoration too, the MGM releases have been a bit middling

Luke M

#6 Post by Luke M » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:04 pm

It’s as hilarious as everyone says. I can’t wait for this release.

FrauBlucher

#7 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:17 pm

You just knew everything Cary Grant is going to make the Collection .

But, seriously, it’s great to see this iconic comedy from the studio system getting released by a boutique, especially Criterion. Plus, another CC laser disc returning to the fold.

This and The Apartment probably became available around the same time so the bidding for both most likely caused Arrow to end up with The Apartment and Criterion this splitting the bids and maybe outbidding Kino.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#8 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:44 pm

This movie is a comedy graveyard-- see my post in the Wilder thread for more on that. It is however extremely popular with most people and will make a shit-ton of money for Criterion, which they will hopefully use to release better films

MongooseCmr

#9 Post by MongooseCmr » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:07 pm

I’ll throw my hat on the unfunny side of this too. I think the first 20 minutes are great and have watched the start of this several times, but the moment the wigs come out I’m done. It’s not the drag so much as the characters running in circles not explaining themselves to each other, as if manic misunderstandings are funny and not anxiety inducing. That’s never funny and there’s a good 60 years of Hollywood comedy that runs the risk of doing it.

FrauBlucher

#10 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:20 pm

I actually agree with the 2 of you. It’s definitely not high on my Wilder list. But this film has a big share of admirers and is well regarded by the old guard of classic Hollywood fans and critics. And it will make CC a shit load of money, especially if packed with supps, which is always good for our needs.

movielocke

#11 Post by movielocke » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:02 pm

I’ll disagree it’s my second favorite wilder and my wife’s favorite. Really happy it’s getting the treatment the current Blu-ray is fine but I could imagine room for improvement

Gregory

#12 Post by Gregory » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:25 pm

One of the greatest comedies of all time, up there with Tootsie and this 2000 sketch in which Trump sexually assaults Giuliani in drag.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#13 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:30 pm

This is why we need a Like Post function

bdsweeney

#14 Post by bdsweeney » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:20 pm

I’m curious if there’s a different restoration of The Apartment available separate from Arrow’s.

I’m moving into boasting territory here, but I’ve just returned from seeing the film projected in the Piazza Maggiore in Bologna (about 20 minutes ago).

It opened with a snazzy MGM logo and details about its 4K restoration from 35 mm produced in conjunction between MGM and the Cineteca Bologna. The notes stated that the restoration was supervised by someone with an Anglo-Saxon name (sorry, can’t remember who).

I was originally expecting to see James White’s name for the restoration and some mention of Arrow. But, nup.

Anyway, would this mean that a different and competing restoration is available separate from Arrow’s that’s available for release by MGM or licence by a company like Criterion (or other)?

If I remember correctly, Arrow’s was produced off their own bat.

ShellOilJunior

#15 Post by ShellOilJunior » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:17 pm

An excellent choice. My favorite Wilder film.

I was just thinking recently how this was inevitable with the current state of physical media. Criterion will do well. Just don't put Curtis and Lemmon in drag on the cover in color.

Luke M

#16 Post by Luke M » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:17 pm

domino harvey wrote:This is why we need a Like Post function
I liked a post once and the feature was gone less than a hour later. Smh.

onedimension

#17 Post by onedimension » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:47 pm

MongooseCmr wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:07 pm
I’ll throw my hat on the unfunny side of this too. I think the first 20 minutes are great and have watched the start of this several times, but the moment the wigs come out I’m done. It’s not the drag so much as the characters running in circles not explaining themselves to each other, as if manic misunderstandings are funny and not anxiety inducing. That’s never funny and there’s a good 60 years of Hollywood comedy that runs the risk of doing it.
Runs the risk of doing... what’s the “it” referring back to?

Rupert Pupkin

#18 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:01 am

I had bought the Blu-Ray (MGM?) but it looks like a master from the time the restored DVD was released (pretty fair HD master though) in HD. I had the feeling that it could look a lot better. Thus if this a new X4 transfer/restoration I'd really appreciate.
By the way, any rumours about when and who will release at least on blu-ray "Roman Holiday" ? this is one of my favorite movie ever. There is a Blu-Ray Spanish around... Is it a bootleg ? Based on which transfer? the WEB-HD transfer ?

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#19 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:32 am

It`s Peter Greenaway`s favourite comedy. Make of that what you will.

MongooseCmr

#20 Post by MongooseCmr » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:32 am

onedimension wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:47 pm
MongooseCmr wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:07 pm
Runs the risk of doing... what’s the “it” referring back to?
A certain kind of zaniness that really only amounts to running and shouting in and out of rooms. It’s A Mad, Mad, Mad World is probably the nadir of it, but it pops up so often in classic comedies that I get apprehensive to dig deeper into them. The Lady Eve is another film that I love for the first forty minutes and then it loses me when they get off the boat.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: 950 Some Like It Hot

#21 Post by swo17 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:11 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#22 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:13 pm

Ha, so that Mitzi Gaynor retweet WAS for a Criterion release! Vindication!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#23 Post by swo17 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:15 pm

"A Criterion release! Vindication!" -domino harvey, criterionforum.org

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#24 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:23 pm

The extras do look great. I might get this. No I'm not, I'm not going to do that.

barryconvex
billy..biff..scooter....tommy

#25 Post by barryconvex » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:38 pm

The film's reputation has baffled me for 20 years-at one point causing me to doubt my own opinion. Something along the lines of "What the hell am i missing?" or "I guess men in drag was funny then...i'll cut it some slack." or "Maybe if i get really high it will work better." "Nothing.", "Wrong!" and "Nope." were the correct replies as it turned out. "Comedy graveyard" is indeed the perfect description for this.