952 The Magnificent Ambersons

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Joe Buck

#26 Post by Joe Buck » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:35 pm

domino harvey wrote:The discovery of Ambersons elements would be impossible to keep secret-- that missing footage is by far the most sought after film in history and someone in the chain would excitedly leak the information before a DVD release broke the news.
You mean like this guy?
roberto wrote:Ambersons film sent to Welles at his hotel the Copacabana Palace. Film did not leave Brazil after that due to customs problems. Adhemar Gonzaga did not destroy fil as directed, unclear why. So film ends up back at the Palace. Hotel finds film cans after the war and for whatever reason sends film to the Cinemateca. Sometime between 1946 and 1976(?) film probably in unauthorized private hands beacause if still at Cinemateca it would have burned in 1957 fires. It ends up at the São Paulo Cinemateque in 1976(?), cans labeled correctly but ignored by over-worked local perservation staff which assumed it was regular print of film. In 2006 their archivist contacted Warner about film cans which turned out ot be complete print in poor but salvagable condition. Film flown to US once Warner gets o.k. from Brazilan court ...

DVD in 2008/09.
Warner will be releasing the 131 minute restored version of Ambersons in late 2008 or early 2009. A complete print was located in a Brazilian film archive. The print is undergoing the 4k restoration process.
:twisted:

HerrSchreck

#27 Post by HerrSchreck » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:01 pm

WTF was THAT?

Or has 125100 taken up residence at TCM.com?

miless

#28 Post by miless » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:03 pm

I sure as shit hope this is true, because if it is it's HUGE! If this ended up being released, I could easily see it rising above Citizen Kane's popularity.

there's a saying to be had about grains of salt, however.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#29 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:09 pm

There's no way it's true. Mind you, I hope to God that I'm wrong, but based on that dude's earlier fanboy post, he probably heard this "news" third-hand. Also, that message was posted over a month ago-- surely it would have trickled down to us and other film sites sooner had there been any credibility to the claims.

HerrSchreck

#30 Post by HerrSchreck » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:00 am

BrazilCupid.com banners running on page-bottom. Utterly fucking hilarious. Those crawling googlebots sure can trim the meat to get to the heart of a matter..

Antoine Doinel

#31 Post by Antoine Doinel » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:49 am

I wouldn't be surprised if Beatrice is sitting on the missing reels herself waiting for payola from Warner's or just holding them out of spite. But yeah, the Rio story sounds like a fantasy and nothing more. If/when those reels get found the news will make the rounds before any of us have a chance to wrap our heads around it.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#32 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:42 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Beatrice is sitting on the missing reels herself waiting for payola from Warner's or just holding them out of spite. But yeah, the Rio story sounds like a fantasy and nothing more. If/when those reels get found the news will make the rounds before any of us have a chance to wrap our heads around it.
She's probably cut the reels into little strips and hot glued them around the border of her handbags, that bitch.

miless

#33 Post by miless » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:57 pm

I must buy one now.

atcolomb

#34 Post by atcolomb » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:53 pm

Lost footage of Fritz Lang's Metropolis was found recently in Buenos Aires Argentina from a local film critic who took the print in 1928 and put it in his private collection. So there is some hope that maybe somebody might be sitting on a copy of the complete Ambersons........

jsteffe

#35 Post by jsteffe » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:49 pm

I just asked a contact over at Turner/Time Warner, and he confirmed that the rediscovered long version of MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS rumor is the B.S. that we already knew it to be.

AMBERSONS is still planned for DVD along with JOURNEY INTO FEAR, but there are some issues to resolve such as how many special features. Rest assured that folks high up the chain in Warner Home Video care about these two releases and want to do them right.

HerrSchreck

#36 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:35 pm

Meaning a Tex Avery cartoon, and a Bogdonavich interview. Not that there's anything wrong with a Tex cartoon at any time, any place, for any reason whatsoever...

Arkadin

Magnificent Ambersons coming From warner on dvd

#38 Post by Arkadin » Thu May 12, 2011 7:52 pm

included with the Citizen Kane 70th anniversary amazon exclusive blu-ray boxset.
as people surely know this film have never been released on dvd in NA.
pre-order is up at amazon.com with no firm date, but people have said to expect the release to be sometime in September.
I assume a separate MA dvd release will be available, but no sure 100%.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Magnificent Ambersons coming From warner on dvd

#39 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 12, 2011 8:07 pm

Oh my God, they're really burying it in a SD DVD on one retailer's website? LOL forever @ Warners five years ago vs Warners now

matrixschmatrix

#40 Post by matrixschmatrix » Thu May 12, 2011 8:14 pm

Yeah, on the one hand, that's like spitting in my eye, but on the other hand, I pre-ordered it because there's no way it's not going to look better than the shitty Editions Montparnasse dvd I have.

manicsounds

#41 Post by manicsounds » Thu May 12, 2011 8:17 pm

Amazon has a picture of the back cover. No extras. Seriously? A movie of this caliber begs for some, if not more than Kane. And DVD only is just a terrible idea too.

matrixschmatrix

#42 Post by matrixschmatrix » Thu May 12, 2011 8:21 pm

Oh, neat, they're also throwing in that copy of RKO 281 I didn't want when I bought Citizen Kane the first time.

knives

#43 Post by knives » Thu May 12, 2011 8:34 pm

domino harvey wrote:Oh my God, they're really burying it in a SD DVD on one retailer's website? LOL forever @ Warners five years ago vs Warners now
I really have to wonder what changed. It can't only be the economy can it? I suppose they at least dooped me into buying CK again.

Cash Flagg

#44 Post by Cash Flagg » Thu May 12, 2011 8:38 pm

Hey, at least it's not a DVD-R.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#45 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 12, 2011 8:39 pm

Are we really so sure it isn't?

zedz

#46 Post by zedz » Thu May 12, 2011 9:32 pm

Well, they did promise they were going to do something really 'special' with the film. Maybe the DVD will have interactive menus and chapter selection!

Joe Buck

#47 Post by Joe Buck » Thu May 12, 2011 10:03 pm

This package blows. Looks like the same old features carried over from the DVD. And throwing Ambersons out with it in a bare-bones DVD is a slap in the face. The film isn't good enough to stand on it's own? It's not good enough for Blu-Ray treatment? But....having waited year after year after year for Ambersons on DVD I will waste no time placing my pre-order. Ambersons deserves better, that's all I'm saying. You'd think will all the delays they could have come up with something a little more elaborate.

atcolomb

#48 Post by atcolomb » Thu May 12, 2011 10:20 pm

I am disapointed Ambersons is not on blu-ray...and it should be!! And how about extras? And the funny thing about it is that on the back cover of the Ambersons dvd shows a scene that was cut from the film..crazy!! My Criterion laserdisc has some nice extras and a commentary. We all need to send angry emails to Warner Bros... :?

Props55

#49 Post by Props55 » Thu May 12, 2011 11:53 pm

Warner sucks syphillitic simian schlongs in Schenectady.

Tom Hagen

#50 Post by Tom Hagen » Fri May 13, 2011 12:22 am

This is so goddamned stupid. This is the one unreleased Welles title that can't be screwed up by his family, right? And so of course, after all these years, this.