899 Personal Shopper

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: 899 Personal Shopper

#26 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:48 pm

I liked this a lot, though I'm not sure I "get" it (or that there's an "it" to get). I recommend perusing some of the quite clever explanations offered in this Reddit thread, though-- def some food for thought (or naught, if one believes one of the theories within...). I will say for me the most inexplicable aspect of the film is that Kristen Stewart's character left the predictive text enabled on iMessage!

Jean-Luc Garbo

#27 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:26 pm

So it's really too bad this wasn't included as it hadn't even aired on French television yet when the Criterion was released but Cinema de notre temp's Assayas portrait AWARE, ANYWHERE would have been the perfect extra. There's footage of the shoot - including a great scene of Assayas and Stewart working through a scene - and an interview with Kent Jones talking to Assayas about cinema. I'd guess that the clips from earlier films might have been a hurdle had this documentary been available. Still, a pity as it might not fit exactly on any subsequent Assayas films should Criterion release them as it's so tied to Personal Shopper. It's not like Pretty As A Picture which although tied to Lost Highway still functions as a full portrait of David Lynch. I thought it was a very stimulating look at Assayas so who knows maybe it'll surface somewhere. Maybe unlike and also unfortunately not included in Arrow's but possibly Criterion's own Early Assayas release?

FrauBlucher

#28 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:33 pm

I had my second viewing and still love it. I love all the questions that go unanswered in the film. I believe it parallels Stewart’s character’s life. I’m still not sure what happens at the end. I’ve had a few ideas in my head but not sure any of them are right. But maybe there is no right or wrong. The two supplements with Assayas gives no incite into the ending either. I will revisit in 6 month.