887 Lost in America

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
knives

Re: 887 Lost in America

#26 Post by knives » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:14 pm

MR. I adore LiA.

hearthesilence

#27 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:27 pm

Honestly, those first four features (Real Life, Modern Romance, Lost in America, Defending Your Life) are all great comic gems in my book.

barryconvex
billy..biff..scooter....tommy

#28 Post by barryconvex » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:11 am

...In any event, hopefully, Criterion releases Modern Romance, as many have said that's Brooks' "best" film, and I want to experience it in the same high quality as Lost in America.
They're different movies tonally but if you found Brooks' character in Lost In America hard to take i can't imagine you (or anyone who felt similarly) enjoying his version of the early 80s, american, young professional in Modern Romance. The movie's a masterpiece but the character he creates is so extreme in his jealousies as to make the humor intensely abrasive and difficult to swallow.

I understand your problems with LIA were more story centered but it's still that grating persona Brooks has created that dominates both films to the point the story is almost second fiddle to his neuroses. I found his characters in LIA and MR both hilarious and fascinating but a lot of friends who's opinions i respect simply can't stand the guy and for them the rest of the movie goes down the tubes because of it...

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#29 Post by Drucker » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:44 am

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#30 Post by tenia » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:51 am

"READ MORE : Learn to sail on a dream family holiday in the Ionian Islands"