170 Trouble in Paradise

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
jojo

Re: 170 Trouble in Paradise

#26 Post by jojo » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:44 pm

karmajuice wrote:Whenever I show a friend a film I love, I end up watching them more than the film, filled with anxiety when they aren't awed by every moment.

Then when they tell me they liked the film, I don't believe them.
Hahaha...

I know what you mean, friend. There's an interesting psychological element at work here, like wanting something you like to be accepted, because you're not entirely SURE it will be accepted most of the time.

At some point, though, after several disappointments you do learn to live with it and gain a higher level of confidence in your tastes. Instead of looking for others to confirm what you already know, you simply shrug and say "Their loss," when they're snoozing away while watching your favourite film (or TV show).

Mr Sausage

Trouble in Paradise (Ernst Lubitsch 1932)

#27 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:32 pm

DISCUSSION ENDS MONDAY, January 7th.

Members have a two week period in which to discuss the film before it's moved to its dedicated thread in The Criterion Collection subforum. Please read the Rules and Procedures.

This thread is not spoiler free. This is a discussion thread; you should expect plot points of the individual films under discussion to be discussed openly. See: spoiler rules.

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

I encourage members to submit questions, either those designed to elicit discussion and point out interesting things to keep an eye on, or just something you want answered. This will be extremely helpful in getting discussion started. Starting is always the hardest part, all the more so if it's unguided. Questions can be submitted to me via PM.

Mr Sausage

Re: Trouble in Paradise (Ernst Lubitsch 1932)

#28 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:33 pm

Our discussion this week is the final winner of the Pre-code mini list project.

hearthesilence

Re: Trouble in Paradise (Ernst Lubitsch 1932)

#29 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:26 pm

My initial impression was probably colored by the fact that I hadn't seen many pre-code films and knew about the era primarily through history books, but at the time, I recall thinking that there wasn't much of a window for this picture. Coming 5 years after the first wave of sound films - when many technical issues were worked out so that visual compositions didn't have to be rigid and lifeless to accommodate sound recording - and right before "the code" came into play, it was (and still remains) a marvel to behold. Everything from the pacing, the timing and the dialogue (not to mention the endless flirtations) holds up beautifully.

I've given up on a BD upgrade, but I sold off my Criterion DVD and upgraded to the MoC DVD not long after it was released. The differences were posted here ages ago, but the MoC DVD is a remarkable improvement. MoC passed on a BD release because they didn't believe the change in PQ was significant enough to draw in consumers - it's a creamy and grainy image, so I can see what they mean, but fortunately it does up-res to HD quite well, at least on my Oppo.