135-137 Rebecca, Spellbound, Notorious

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#26 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:48 am

Just saw Rebecca for the first time and WOW, Joan Fontaine gives one of the best performances I've ever seen. Her acting was like a filmed miracle, completely flabbergasting. I don't want to give this set back to ILL. Now I see why Fontaine getting passed over for the Best Actress was considered such a joke in hindsight that they gave another to her the very next chance they got. Now, what to mortgage so I can bid on the Criterion...

colinr0380

#27 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:26 pm

domino harvey wrote:Her acting was like a filmed miracle, completely flabbergasting.
We can only be thankful that Vivien Leigh didn't get the part, despite all her lobbying for it! I love the point in the commentary in which Leonard Leff describes Fontaine's double take on seeing Manderley for the first time as being the only really broad reaction in the film (and even then it is an understandable one! Though I've always wanted the guy from Monty Python and the Holy Grail to pop up in the corner of the screen and say "It's only a model!")

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#28 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:53 pm

ILL has been invaluable for seeing OOP DVDs without having to pay megabucks first. So I was able to finally see Spellbound, which wasn't very good, and then use it not being good to in turn justify paying a lot for the Criterion of Rebecca-- well, it made sense in my head at least. At least the DVD is ridiculously packed with supplements, definitely cushions the blow. Certainly puts the piddly ten minute blowjob featurettes on 90% of the Hitchcock DVDs out there to shame.

dr. calamari

#29 Post by dr. calamari » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:02 am

Mrs. Dr. Calamari just found Notorious today at a garage sale, and thoughtfully picked it up for me; well, for us...we're going to have a Hitchcock Movie Night tomorrow, double-billed with Shadow Of A Doubt. I'm looking forward to it!

One of my co-workers is a rabid Criterion collector, and he informed me that this disc is out of print...is there any indication that it's going to be re-released like The Third Man and M recently were? Seems like there's always a market for Hitchcock, so why not re-release it if the rights aren't an issue?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#30 Post by domino harvey » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:45 am

the rights are an issue

dr. calamari

#31 Post by dr. calamari » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:54 am

That's unfortunate...I'm listening to the Lux Radio Theatre adaptation while I'm futzing around on the forums, and I hope the movie is as good as the radio show is turning out to be.

Ivy Mike

#32 Post by Ivy Mike » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:07 am

ILL = ?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#33 Post by domino harvey » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:09 am

Inter-Library Loan. If you're either a student or instructor in college, it is your very best friend

MilkManX

#34 Post by MilkManX » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:50 pm

So where are these in the rights area? Does Warner or Fox own them? If so any word on a new issue. I rented Notorious and I fell I love but not enough to buy it at over 50 dollars.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#35 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:37 pm

MilkManX wrote:So where are these in the rights area? Does Warner or Fox own them? If so any word on a new issue. I rented Notorious and I fell I love but not enough to buy it at over 50 dollars.
This time last year you could find Notorious for around $30-35, now it's ballooned up to twice that at least. My best guess is that these are in rights-Hell and no studio wants to pay whatever who owns them is asking now.

kaujot

#36 Post by kaujot » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:45 pm

Just for reference:

If anyone else at the board attends UT (That is, the University of Texas at Austin) and wants to see any of these, we have copies of all three at the Audio/Visual Library (FAC 341). Rebecca and Spellbound both have to be watched AT the library, but the last time I checked, Notorious was available to take home.

Or, if you're feeling particularly nostalgic, you can watch them on laserdisc.
Last edited by kaujot on Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carax09

#37 Post by carax09 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:07 pm

Carnegie Libraries of Pittsburgh has all three and they can all be taken home. The downside of that is that every time I see them, they seem incrementally more jacked-up.

kevyip1

#38 Post by kevyip1 » Sun May 18, 2008 11:01 pm

The "Notorious" supplement has an audio segment by Marion Keane about Ingrid Bergman giving the Unica key to Hitchcock during the AFI Lifetime Award telecast. But no video footage of that poignant moment is included.

Well, here it is

ianungstad

#39 Post by ianungstad » Sun May 18, 2008 11:19 pm

It would be nice if Criterion could work out a deal to hand the dvd supplements to MGM so we can get decent versions of these films in print again....in trade for more ignored MGM titles under the criterion banner. Everyone wins! I'm sure if they can get 5 films for a Raging Bull commentary they could get a nice package of films for all the hitchcock extras/commentary tracks.

When does the license between Disney and MGM expire on these titles?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#40 Post by domino harvey » Sun May 18, 2008 11:21 pm

The problem is that the Criterion tracks are academic tracks and major studio labels don't like to release academic tracks, they want production history tracks or creative commentaries. I doubt MGM gives a shit about licensing the Hitchcock commentaries.

ianungstad

#41 Post by ianungstad » Mon May 19, 2008 12:45 am

I've always heard that the films are now owned by Disney...but they licensed the rights to these titles and a bunch of other titles to MGM for the DVDs, like Straw Dogs (produced by Disney owned ABC). For some reason MGM has ignored the Hitchcock titles.

willoneill

Re: 135-137 Rebecca, Spellbound, Notorious

#42 Post by willoneill » Thu May 13, 2010 12:58 pm

Saw this in an Ebay description of someone selling their copy of Notorious:
This disc lived in a smoke free environment. It is now an out of print disc. Both the packaging and disc has minor wear and tear from its sheer existence from the past 9 years.

Other than that I took perfectly good care of it and made sure it stayed away from other DVDs because this movie is so amazing it actually melts lesser movies.

For instance, I placed it next to my copy of Anaconda and haven't seen Anaconda since. It just disappeared without a trace. I thought I misplaced it until I put it next to Dead Poets Society and then the same thing happened! It disappeared without a trace. The DVD was actually melting wack attack movies. Then once Criterion put it out of print, it confirmed that it was probably melting their other inventory.

I don't care who you are. You can get laid just by having this in your collection.

It will ship in a bubble mailer.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#43 Post by cdnchris » Thu May 13, 2010 4:00 pm

Will the bubble mailer be enough to stop it from damaging anything else while traveling through the postal system??

HarryLong

#44 Post by HarryLong » Thu May 13, 2010 5:23 pm

Think of all those Netflix offerings that will arrive vaporized...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#45 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 13, 2010 6:11 pm

I used to make humorous comments when I sold stuff on eBay-- it can go a long way towards getting bids, believe it or not

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#46 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 13, 2010 6:11 pm

Which is to say, bid on my outrageous and wacky auction for Notorious

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#47 Post by swo17 » Thu May 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Several years ago, I tried to sell off my copy of Gentleman's Agreement (that I purchased in order to get Sunrise) with the line "Own the film that fixed racism forever!" but it went months without budging, and only eventually sold for a couple of bucks after I removed the joke. So, um, it can backfire, I guess.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#48 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 13, 2010 6:26 pm

Well, don't make jokes at the expense of the item itself. No one wants to feel stupid for buying something, even something embarrassing like Gentleman's Agreement

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#49 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 13, 2010 6:27 pm

...you dumb yid

cdnchris
Site Admin

#50 Post by cdnchris » Thu May 13, 2010 6:29 pm

I don't understand the organization of the DVDs. Why would it have been placed next to Anaconda or Dead Poets Society on a DVD shelf?? It's not alphabetical, not by director, not chronological, not genre, not actor...

I don't get it!