796-797 The Emigrants/The New Land

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Minkin

Re: 796-797 The Emigrants/The New Land

#51 Post by Minkin » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:08 am

And here's Blu-ray.com on The New Land

Is there a general consensus on which is the better of the two films?

mff

#52 Post by mff » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:52 am

Minkin wrote:And here's Blu-ray.com on The New Land

Is there a general consensus on which is the better of the two films?
Well, I don't know about a general consensus, but based on reading on Swedish websites, I'd say that The Emigrants is usually seen as the masterpiece, and The New Land as a very good but perhaps slightly overlong film.

It's been a while since I last saw the two, so it's possible that I won't like them as much now, but I always thought that the both of them were equally great. :)

Ribs

#53 Post by Ribs » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:43 pm

Having now watched the New Land, I find it fascinating how The Emigrants is so overtly realist with basically no theatricality or artifice whatsoever (or at least intended) and yet the later film is oftentimes kind of abstract and literally dreamlike, much more reminscent of Here is Your Life.

(The early sequence of Axberg roaming the woods alone in the snow made me think much of that film, too - partially as the white encompassing everything gives it all a very desaturated look very closely approximating that of Here is Your Life)

It's also a great film (if not quite at the same level) but its a fascinating turn; why do the fantasies only arrive when they've settled in America? I thought it was some kind of American Dream thing (which the first film was about throughout but never quite so overtly) but in that case the American dream is weirdly violent and super racist because that's what Liv Ullman's dreams were.

I'm still absolutely fascinated by cases like this and Once Upon a Time in America where the ideas behind it are so fundamentally American it seems almost wrong they could have come from somewhere else but the angle from which its portrayed literally can only be understood through the outsider view of America.

manicsounds

#54 Post by manicsounds » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:56 am

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re:

#55 Post by domino harvey » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:14 pm

Lino wrote:OT, but this thread got me all psyched up on Liv again and after some searching I found a film she acted in that I've never heard of anyone mention before - it's called Leonor and it was directed by Buñuel's own son, Juan Luis. This apparently is a sort of a vampire movie (can't imagine her doing a horror movie but there you go and I'm glad she did) and get this: it was shot by Luciano Tovoli, Suspiria's DP and scored by Morricone! How's that for some class, hey? Anyway, here's a poster I've found:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073278/
Moody, right? Any comments are welcome of course and sorry again for shifting the thread's topic for a bit.
This bizarre-sounding film is getting a Blu-ray release from Scorpion

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#56 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:51 am

I saw Leonor last night and it's safely skippable-- despite the weird-sounding plot description and flamboyant key art, the actual affair is rather subdued and minor key. It doesn't look much different than any of the other ostensibly artsy Euro horror movies of the 70s and 80s, only there's no nudity and the violence is mostly elliptical. I'm guessing the prospect of working for Bunuel's son is what got Ullmann and Michel Piccoli to sign on, because I see little in the material to justify it