800 The Graduate

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
flyonthewall2983

Re: 800 The Graduate

#76 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:27 pm

So is everything from the laserdisc ported over to this?

Self

#77 Post by Self » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:01 pm

With Mark Harris writing a book on Mike Nichols I'm surprised by his absence on the supplements

Ashirg

#78 Post by Ashirg » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:30 pm

It seems "Audio commentary from 1987 featuring film scholar Howard Suber" is from the laserdisc.

PfR73

#79 Post by PfR73 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:03 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:So is everything from the laserdisc ported over to this?
The laserdisc apparently had the Suber commentary & "The Graduate Scrapbook," which was a mix of still galleries & video material. The video material appears to have been screen tests & "A Video Story by Ilene Segalove." It also listed an interview with Nichols, but it's not clear whether that was text or video. So looks like the galleries & the "video story" are missing.

It's also missing these bonus features from the MGM Anniversary Edition DVD:

-Audio Commentary with actors Dustin Hoffman and Katherine Ross
-"The Seduction" featurette (8:49)
-"One On One With Dustin Hoffman" interview (22:41)

criterion10

#80 Post by criterion10 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:28 pm

PfR73 wrote:-Audio Commentary with actors Dustin Hoffman and Katherine Ross
-"The Seduction" featurette (8:49)
-"One On One With Dustin Hoffman" interview (22:41)
My guess is that Criterion simply felt this material overlapped with what they included. No need for a third (and presumably less significant commentary), and I'm sure the newly recorded interview with Hoffman will be more enlightening than the MGM-recorded one.

There are some unique extras, including another commentary, on the Studio Canal Blu-Ray that haven't been ported over as well...

PfR73

#81 Post by PfR73 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:44 pm

So I had emailed Jon Mulvaney inquiring about the missing MGM DVD supplements. Unexpectedly, I actually got a response (typically my emails that aren't specifically about a replacement program or whatnot seem to have gone to a black hole). It basically confirms what criterion10 guessed at, and I still wish they would have included them all the same (even if there's overlap I'll have to hold onto my MGM DVD for completeness' sake), but I thought it was nice to actually get a real response.
Jon Mulvaney wrote:Thank you for your inquiry regarding the upcoming Criterion release of THE GRADUATE. To make a definitive edition we aim to present a collection of supplements which will compliment each other without significantly duplicating specific content. There are always some space considerations, hard choices and often some sacrifices. We chose the special features from the older releases that provide unique content (and have rounded them out with a lot of fresh material). There was not a significant amount of content in 'One on One with Dustin Hoffman' or the Hoffman/Ross commentary that is not covered in the other features.

We hope you will enjoy instead our new more extensive interview with Dustin Hoffman which will be edited to include several wonderful stills that were not presented before. Between that interview, the 25th anniversary 'making of' featurette and the Mike Nichols commentary we feel that Mr. Hoffman and Katharine Ross are well represented — as are production anecdotes in general. We chose the Howard Suber commentary track because it covers completely different and valuable territory. It was a much loved feature of our original laserdisc release of The Graduate that has been missed over the years by our fans. Professor Suber is a legendary academic from UCLA and we felt his analytical perspective on the film was important to round out the release. His commentary, Bobbie O’Steen’s look at the editing and 'Students of the Graduate' cover analytical territory from enough perspectives that they serve the role of 'The Seduction' featurette.

We think you will find this to be a well rounded and much more extensive collection of materials overall including some very special archival footage. Please feel free to write again should you have additional questions or concerns, and thank you for supporting Criterion!

Jon Mulvaney

manicsounds

#82 Post by manicsounds » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:19 am

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#83 Post by Drucker » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:13 am

Looks great, and I'm sort of surprised how much more accurate that old MGM BD was color-wise all along.

Criterion versus old MGM.

Criterion versus Studio Canal.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#84 Post by tenia » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:26 am

And it looks as if Criterion has noticeably improved their compression handling, which makes such a release something more interesting than it was at the very beginning. I might cave in at some point (especially since I don't own any prior video release of the movie).

Self

#85 Post by Self » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:38 pm

djproject

#86 Post by djproject » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:27 pm

Self wrote:Beaver
I would have accepted "Mr. Tooze, you're trying to seduce me" =D

Luke M

#87 Post by Luke M » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:49 pm

I'm relieved to read this is shaping up to be a stellar release. When it was announced there was a lot of heated discussion over compression issues and I kept my expectations sufficiently low. Happy to see Criterion hasn't disappointed on one of my all-time favorites.

Smafdy

#88 Post by Smafdy » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:19 pm

Watching this now. The flickering is really distracting. Takes away from my enjoyment of the movie. They're almost like flash frames.

They have a nice transfer from the original negative, yet they don't follow through with the final product. Wish Criterion would fix their constant encoding issues.

criterion10

#89 Post by criterion10 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:24 pm

Smafdy wrote:The flickering is really distracting.
Can you elaborate on this? None of the reviews anywhere mention any "flickering" issues. (The disc has been unanimously praised.)

cdnchris
Site Admin

#90 Post by cdnchris » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:51 pm

Yah, I watched it four times (going through commentaries and watching film with both tracks) and can't say I noticed this at all, at least something that would be distracting.

Smafdy

#91 Post by Smafdy » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:07 am

This same flickering issue can be seen on Mulholland Drive. Remember the old days when running the vacuum cleaner would create static on your TV? What I'm seeing on The Graduate (and Mulholland Dr.) is a slight static field about every two seconds, especially during darker scenes.

I own a recording studio and my other engineers and several musicians took notice of it when I was playing it yesterday.

flyonthewall2983

#92 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:41 am

Could it be an issue with your player?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#93 Post by cdnchris » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:16 am

I just looked at both The Graduate and Mulholland Dr. and did not notice the problem on either.

movielocke

#94 Post by movielocke » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:28 am

Smafdy wrote:This same flickering issue can be seen on Mulholland Drive. Remember the old days when running the vacuum cleaner would create static on your TV? What I'm seeing on The Graduate (and Mulholland Dr.) is a slight static field about every two seconds, especially during darker scenes.

I own a recording studio and my other engineers and several musicians took notice of it when I was playing it yesterday.
sounds like a player or monitor pull down mismatch.

nitin

#95 Post by nitin » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:45 am

someone else mentioned something similar on the br.com forums, what is your sharpness setting?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#96 Post by Drucker » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:07 am

There's also a post on Caps-a-holic, and based on the wording, it could all be the same person?

nitin

#97 Post by nitin » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:03 am

no I meant someone on br.com posted about a similar effect a while back and the effect went away once they turned off any sharpening on their tv.

Zorn

#98 Post by Zorn » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:05 am

It's most likely a sharpness issue as I had this problem with Mulholland Drive and once I turned down the sharpness (which is or seems unneeded with an HD setup), the flickering stopped. Once Upon a Time in Anatolia also had a similar issue and I tested the blu-ray with the lower sharpness settings and it improved quite a bit.

editman

#99 Post by editman » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:16 pm

Finally received my copy today. And to my disappointment, the 5.1 remix is the same as the 2007 SE DVD and the 2009 Fox blu-ray, of which Scarborough Fair is not the same version used in the original mono mix. The song used in the 5.1 mix is the version on the film's soundtrack album, which oddly has the song played twice with a string and flute interlude (played in the film during the scene when Elaine left Benjamin's loft).

You can tell by listening to the line "Sleeps unaware of the clarion call". The word "unaware" was sung differently in the original mix. Also, at the end of the song, you can hear part of the string and flute interlude which is not in the original mono mix.

As far as I know, the 1999 MGM R1 Special Edition DVD (and the original Polygram DVD) includes the stereo mix used in the 1997 re-release of the film, and it does feature the film version of Scarborough Fair. The now OOP Studio Canal blu-ray also utilizes that mix, unfortunately it is pitched.

Then there's the screen tests. While the Hoffman-Ross screen test is a great addition, the Katherine Ross screen test (seen briefly in "The Graduate" at 25) is omitted. So we still have to keep the CC laserdisc.

Sadly, the search for a perfect home video presentation of The Graduate continues.

barnyard078

#100 Post by barnyard078 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:11 am

I haven't picked up my copy of this yet, but, for what it's worth, the packaging says that the 5.1 mix was "approved by director Mike Nichols." Just putting it out there. Discuss.