153 General Idi Amin Dada: A Self-Portrait

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
TMDaines

Re: 153 General Idi Amin Dada: A Self-Portrait

#26 Post by TMDaines » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:36 am

I like the film, but don't see it as a priority upgrade with the cost of importing right now. Maybe Crit will release it in the UK or MoC will upgrade theirs.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#27 Post by tenia » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:56 am

The restoration is beautiful. Carlotta released it in France, and it almost looks like a 4K restoration because it's just so textured.

CSM126

#28 Post by CSM126 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:35 pm

Beaver
In 2003 Saudi Arabia died from kidney failure.

Minkin

#29 Post by Minkin » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:39 am

General Idi Svet Dada

Who knew Venezuela is going through the same thing right now! (answer: Svet knew)

aox

#30 Post by aox » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:20 am

Wow, what an absolute bizarre closing statement even if it's a fair prediction.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#31 Post by swo17 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:31 am

A Svet Portrait would've been better

Gregory

#32 Post by Gregory » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:30 pm

Dr. Svet wrote:[Idi Amin Dada and Nicolás Maduro] both came to power as revolutionary fanatics.
The former rose through the ranks of the military and then seized the presidency in a coup backed by Britain. Maduro was elected to Venezuela's national assembly and worked his way up the government hierarchy. Neither of those involves taking power through revolutionary uprisings or revolutionary fanaticism.

ptatler

#33 Post by ptatler » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:09 pm

Really enjoyed this release... the upgraded image is rich and increases the intimacy between audience and dictator.

The Andrew Rice interview is a great piece of context but I wish it was longer. The new Schroeder is very odd in that it's a distillation of the 2001 interview, sometimes verbatim.

PfR73

#34 Post by PfR73 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:21 pm

tenia wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:56 am
The restoration is beautiful. Carlotta released it in France, and it almost looks like a 4K restoration because it's just so textured.
I'm a bit confused about this. Criterion states it is a 2K restoration, but all the reviews of the Carlotta set I can find state it's a 4K restoration. Both list the same lab, so I'm pretty sure both are using the same restoration; are the French reviewers getting it wrong?

PfR73

Re: Re:

#35 Post by PfR73 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:11 am

Zinoviev wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:20 am
When the upgrade was announced I thought about this "lost" line from the haunting final shot. Would love to see it restored, even if only as an extra, because the indictment of colonialism/imperialism is critical to Schroeder's larger message. I may be in the minority on this one, but I'm very excited for the upgrade (though I prefer the original cover).
nyasa wrote: From our current perspective, Idi Amin may appear to be an anachronism of 1970s post-colonial Africa. But the final sentence of the narration (which was cut on Amin's instructions, and hasn't been restored - though Schroeder mentions it in the interview included among the extras), makes clear the continuing relevance of Amin's tyrannical rule: "After a century of colonization, let us not forget that it is partially a deformed image of our own selves that Idi Amin Dada reflects back at us."
Didn't see it mentioned previously in the thread that this line has in fact been restored on the Blu-ray release. This line sounds (to me) like Schroeder himself speaking English, unlike the rest of the English narration. Does anyone know who the English narrator for the film is? There's no credit. I watched the film for the very first time tonight and was actually surprised the film was narrated in English; going in, I was under the impression the film would be narrated in French by Schroeder.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#36 Post by tenia » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:36 am

PfR73 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:21 pm
I'm a bit confused about this. Criterion states it is a 2K restoration, but all the reviews of the Carlotta set I can find state it's a 4K restoration. Both list the same lab, so I'm pretty sure both are using the same restoration; are the French reviewers getting it wrong?
I'll check again if there is a tech details screen on the restoration, but it could be that it was scanned at 4K but restored in 2K hence the confusion. I had a look back at my review and wrote it was a 4K restoration. DVD Classik also mentioned so in their reviews.