740 The Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Criterion and the films on them. If it's got a spine number, it's in here. Threads may contain spoilers.
hearthesilence

Re: 740 The Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant

#26 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:35 am

R0lf wrote:I presume the negative comments regarding Maria are due to melodrama not being considered a "serious" genre worthy of higher praise?

So much of his work is melodrama. I don't think the naysayers have anything against that genre, they just don't think that particular film is a masterpiece or one of Fassbinder's best works.

And I will concur with the praise for Veronika Voss, which to me is the masterpiece of the BRD films.

barryconvex
billy..biff..scooter....tommy

#27 Post by barryconvex » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:09 pm

Jailbait will never happen.
Why? i've heard stories about the author of the screenplay blocking the movie but thought they were apocryphal...then again if the movie's that hard to see maybe those stories are true...

Raymond Marble

#28 Post by Raymond Marble » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:48 pm

It just occurred to me that I'm going to want to hold onto my old Wellspring disc of this even when the Criterion blu-ray is released, because it looks like Criterion's not replicating the bonus addition of the short films "The Little Chaos" and "The City Tramp" on this edition, which shorts are much beloved by me (despite my tendency to accidentally call them "The Little Tramp" and "The City Chaos").

pet42

#29 Post by pet42 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:28 pm

domino harvey wrote:...
New 4K digital restoration, supervised by director of photography Michael Ballhaus, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray...
Well, Michael Ballhaus has glaucoma/green star and can not even read anymore.
He talks about this and Fassbinder at the begin of this short german interview from March:
http://www1.wdr.de/fernsehen/aks/rubrik ... ize-L.html

Telstar

#30 Post by Telstar » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:14 pm

Raymond Marble wrote:It just occurred to me that I'm going to want to hold onto my old Wellspring disc of this even when the Criterion blu-ray is released, because it looks like Criterion's not replicating the bonus addition of the short films "The Little Chaos" and "The City Tramp" on this edition, which shorts are much beloved by me (despite my tendency to accidentally call them "The Little Tramp" and "The City Chaos").
Is Criterion keeping the commentary track from the Wellspring disc? Haven't listened to it in ages, but I seem to remember it as being pretty solid.

Raymond Marble

#31 Post by Raymond Marble » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:08 am

Telstar wrote:Is Criterion keeping the commentary track from the Wellspring disc? Haven't listened to it in ages, but I seem to remember it as being pretty solid.
It looks like they aren't (?), though commentator Jane Shattuck is involved in one of the new features.

EddieLarkin

#32 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:10 am

Top marks across the board at Blu-ray.com

Lost Highway

#33 Post by Lost Highway » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:26 pm

R0lf wrote:I presume the negative comments regarding Maria are due to melodrama not being considered a "serious" genre worthy of higher praise?
Most of Fassbinder's films were melodramas. I'm one of those who never understood why Maria Braun was his breakthrough film, the one which made him internationally famous. It's a good film, but far from his best and the inexpressive Hanna Schygulla never was my favourite of his leading ladies either.

I agree with the comments on Veronika Voss, by far the best of the BRD trilogy and of his later films.

D50

#34 Post by D50 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:13 am

This just showed up on the top of my Netflix saved titles queue with a 1/12/2015 release date. I'll move it to the top so I can see it. Boyhood dvd just shipped yesterday and I'll get it today, 1/6/2015, the dvd / Netflix dvd release date.

swo17

#35 Post by swo17 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:14 pm

Just make sure you return Boyhood on 1/9/2015 or 1/10/2015 so you can get Petra Von Kant on the dvd / Netflix dvd release date.

D50

#36 Post by D50 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:53 pm

swo17 wrote:Just make sure you return Boyhood on 1/9/2015 or 1/10/2015 so you can get Petra Von Kant on the dvd / Netflix dvd release date.
I rarely hold onto a disc more than a day. When I wasn't working, which seems like yesterday, I would watch each film around 1-2pm, have more than enough time to return it in that day's mail, with a drive to the drive through drop off which has a 6pm last pick up time. Since Netflix somehow got a scanner into the hands of the USPS workers, and if I do my part and make sure the bar code in the sleeve shows in the window of the return envelope, they show each return as received the next day, and ship my next disc and I'll get that the next day. Pretty good system, 1 day delivery - barring Friday returns, since they stopped Saturday processing and mailing, and holidays throw a wrench into the rotation.

zedz

#37 Post by zedz » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:55 pm

D50 wrote:
swo17 wrote:Just make sure you return Boyhood on 1/9/2015 or 1/10/2015 so you can get Petra Von Kant on the dvd / Netflix dvd release date.
I rarely hold onto a disc more than a day. When I wasn't working, which seems like yesterday, I would watch each film around 1-2pm, have more than enough time to return it in that day's mail, with a drive to the drive through drop off which has a 6pm last pick up time. Since Netflix somehow got a scanner into the hands of the USPS workers, and if I do my part and make sure the bar code in the sleeve shows in the window of the return envelope, they show each return as received the next day, and ship my next disc and I'll get that the next day. Pretty good system, 1 day delivery - barring Friday returns, since they stopped Saturday processing and mailing, and holidays throw a wrench into the rotation.
Well, that went well, don't you think, swo?

swo17

#38 Post by swo17 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:01 pm

I guess we'll find out just how well it went on 1/13/2015.

zedz

#39 Post by zedz » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:34 pm

swo17 wrote:I guess we'll find out just how well it went on 1/13/2015.
Now marked in my diary.

knives

#41 Post by knives » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:22 pm

Watching this made me a bit curious if Fassbinder or Ballhaus ever spoke in depth about aspect ratios. I have to imagine that finances and television as much as anything else compelled him so often to shoot in academy, but his films seem so dependent on it artistically, here for instance there's an early shot like a photo framing Carstensen between some shelves and mannequins that feels subservient to the ratio, that even the few tall widescreen films he made become an interesting evolution.

dadaistnun

#42 Post by dadaistnun » Mon May 06, 2019 3:44 pm

When this was over, I felt like I'd seen one of my favorite films ever. I've calmed down a bit since, though I'm unapologetic for having such a reaction. A film like this seems to demand it. Gloriously intense - reading reviews afterwards, I see Luc Sante likens it to having been in a fistfight with yourself - seems about right. This is a brutal film, yet not without humor (the gag with the ringing phone where it seems like we might finally hear Marlene speak, only to have Petra pick it up instead) or ecstatic cinematic highs (the Walker Brothers scene).

Cast is great, so completely in tune with one another, but Margit Carstensen is def the ace. Shooting the entire film in one confined space (and to think it was a real location, not a set) was probably a headache, but it pays real dividends with a sense of real spacial dimension.

That final scene manages to add so much to the story by doing so little.
SpoilerShow
Marlene, packing her bag (and I love the way she goes back and forth in and out of the frame as she does this), the little pause as she drops the pistol: she could be saying, "I could still shoot her if I want.' Or maybe she wants Petra sees the gun, as if to say, "You're lucking things are ending this way and not more violently."

Plus, this is my goddamn Walker Brothers record, and I'm taking it with me!

ari101

#43 Post by ari101 » Mon May 06, 2019 6:16 pm

dadaistnun wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 3:44 pm
When this was over, I felt like I'd seen one of my favorite films ever.
Have you seen In a Year of 13 Moons? Pinnacle Fassbinder IMO.

dadaistnun

#44 Post by dadaistnun » Mon May 06, 2019 8:26 pm

Not yet, though I look forward to it - definitely have the Fassbinder bug now. I watched Chinese Roulette and Fear of Fear over the last couple of days and really dug them both, especially the latter.

DRW.mov

#45 Post by DRW.mov » Mon May 06, 2019 8:33 pm

If you liked Bitter Tears and Fear of Fear, you owe it to yourself to see, not only 13 Moons, but also Martha. It’s his most quintessential melodrama.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#46 Post by domino harvey » Mon May 06, 2019 8:36 pm

If they (fleetingly?) think this is one of the best films they’ve ever seen, they should obviously watch as many other Fassbinders as they can. No need to be specific in the face of that strong a reaction