110-112, 439, 729-731 The Complete Jacques Tati

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Criterion and the films on them. If it's got a spine number, it's in here. Threads may contain spoilers.
whaleallright

Re: 110-112, 439, 729-731 The Complete Jacques Tati

#226 Post by whaleallright » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:04 pm

mteller wrote:"Polymorphously perverse" means they derive sexual pleasure for non-genital areas of the body. Either R0lf doesn't understand the term, or he needs to make his case better.
Magic Hate Ball wrote:It does refer to the early stage of sexual development where a child (one to five, I think) finds pleasure anywhere they can
Hey, Hulot does have a suspicious amount of fun with those leather chairs....

There is definitely something childlike about the chaste, tentative flirtations between Hulot and his leading ladies; and, perhaps separately, Hulot's interactions with technology and everyday objects probably fall somewhere in the "perverse" column, though perhaps naïveté is a better term. I'm not sure dragging Freud into it is very productive, though.

HitchcockLang

Re: 110-112, 439, 729-731 The Complete Jacques Tati

#227 Post by HitchcockLang » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:26 am

Self wrote:Does anyone know of an update to the Taschen book? I tried searching for it on their website and it seems to have disappeared. Even clicking the above link takes one to the main page of Taschen.
All references to the book have vanished from Taschen's site and the Amazon listing which I had saved on my wishlist no longer has a release date and has been relegated to "Currently unavailable" status. I hope the book hasn't been totally canceled; I was so looking forward to it.