40 Armageddon

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Mr Sausage

Re: what a shame...

#51 Post by Mr Sausage » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:03 am

whywatch wrote:what a shame criterion would release not one but two michael bay films. i have not, nor will i ever watch any of his films. the trailers were insulting enough. and this is the same person who did "Bad Boys", "Pearl Harbor", and "Transformers" - get real people! why REALLY did criterion release these films when there are SO, SO, SOOOO MANY --- GREAT --- films to be released? arguments should not be why michael bay's films are "good enough" but rather why they are BETTER than any other option for release. when criterion looks at the whole history of cinema and releases ~500 titles of which 2 are "The Rock" and "Armageddon" something is fundamentally wrong. even if you enjoyed those films on some level should they be in this collection? i for one, will have 2 empty spaces on my wall and in my head when someone asks me about michael bay and the criterion collection. i would argue, just because hollywood (and criterion) choose to allocate their resources to such ridiculous film making, we don't need to follow suit.
Is it really wise to make your first post on a forum an aggressive call-out (and on a topic that has been rather beaten to death)? Members get mercilessly piled-on around here for much less.

Binker

#52 Post by Binker » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:11 am

why REALLY did criterion release these films when there are SO, SO, SOOOO MANY --- GREAT --- films to be released? arguments should not be why michael bay's films are "good enough" but rather why they are BETTER than any other option for release.
Pay attention, Criterion, your new selections will now be judged under this criteria. Ask yourselves, is this film we are about to release better than EVERY SINGLE UNRELEASED FILM IN THE HISTORY OF CINEMA?

And I thought I was gonna get to be the "Michael Bay sucks" guy...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#53 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:57 am

There should really be a Board FAQ to take care of the same posts being made over and over:

01 The Michael Bay movies (same for Kevin Smith and Wes Anderson) brought in a lot of money that enabled Criterion to release "better" films. Bitching about these adds nothing people don't already know, so just be glad something you like was able to come out as a result of their release.

02 Every film will not be released in Blu-ray. After a DVD is announced, do not comment in a thread with a variation of "Where's the Blu-ray?" / "I'm waiting for the Blu-ray."

03 No one has ever paid retail for a Criterion DVD. Don't whine about the list price.

04 There are numerous countries producing numerous films that aren't released by Criterion. This is not due to racism or negative judgment on an unrepresented country's films, but because there's simply not a market for said films.
Last edited by domino harvey on Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheRanchHand

#54 Post by TheRanchHand » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:30 am

I think some people feel they will be regarding as good film buffs if they condemn these releases. Even if I didn't like a film in the Criterion Collection (and there are some I don't) I can't fault them for releasing a movie I don't like. There will be people that like them and Criterion tends to do good releases of the films. Both of these (particularly The Rock) are guilty pleasures of mine and I own them.

If you don't like a film, skip it and don't buy it. That's all.

kaujot

#55 Post by kaujot » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:44 am

domino harvey wrote: 03 No one has ever paid retail for a Criterion DVD. Don't whine about the list price.
I paid retail once...I...don't like to talk about it.

HerrSchreck

#56 Post by HerrSchreck » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:28 am

I know/have seen a lot of people whove paid retail-- see it all the time in stores here in NYC. You'd be surprised.

kaujot

#57 Post by kaujot » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:30 am

HerrSchreck wrote:I know/have seen a lot of people whove paid retail-- see it all the time in stores here in NYC. You'd be surprised.
Barnes & Noble almost ALWAYS charges retail.

Binker

#58 Post by Binker » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:57 am

Yep. I'm continually shocked by how many people even in my age bracket (20) are just straight up clueless when it comes to internet shopping. and the internet in general for that matter.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#59 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:38 pm

Well, anyone dumb enough to pay retail for a DVD isn't allowed to bitch about it.

teddyleevin

#60 Post by teddyleevin » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:36 pm

I've paid retail for one or two releases, before I realized what the hell the Criterion Collection even was. I just noticed that these two expensive movies I bought once had the same logo on them. And, then I never paid retail again.

Matt

#61 Post by Matt » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:18 pm

Mr_sausage wrote:
whywatch wrote:moronerie
Is it really wise to make your first post on a forum an aggressive call-out (and on a topic that has been rather beaten to death)? Members get mercilessly piled-on around here for much less.
Aw, too bad I didn't see that post until now. I love ripping into mindless Michael Bay haters.

Mr Sausage

#62 Post by Mr Sausage » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:12 am

Matt wrote:
Mr_sausage wrote:
whywatch wrote:moronerie
Aw, too bad I didn't see that post until now. I love ripping into mindless Michael Bay haters.
You can make up for it by making the title under his name read "moronerie."

Antoine Doinel

#63 Post by Antoine Doinel » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:55 am

whywatch wrote:what a shame criterion would release not one but two michael bay films. i have not, nor will i ever watch any of his films. the trailers were insulting enough. and this is the same person who did "Bad Boys", "Pearl Harbor", and "Transformers" - get real people! why REALLY did criterion release these films when there are SO, SO, SOOOO MANY --- GREAT --- films to be released? arguments should not be why michael bay's films are "good enough" but rather why they are BETTER than any other option for release. when criterion looks at the whole history of cinema and releases ~500 titles of which 2 are "The Rock" and "Armageddon" something is fundamentally wrong. even if you enjoyed those films on some level should they be in this collection? i for one, will have 2 empty spaces on my wall and in my head when someone asks me about michael bay and the criterion collection. i would argue, just because hollywood (and criterion) choose to allocate their resources to such ridiculous film making, we don't need to follow suit.
.....speaking of Armageddon have you stocked up yet for Y2K? It's only a few months away. At the very least this film made me realize that I better get ready so I bought some batteries and canned food after I got watched the film on DVD and started getting a rudimentary bunker ready in my basement. Say what you will about the quality of the film, but it has a very timely message. Also Aerosmith rulez.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#64 Post by cdnchris » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:58 am

May I recommend http://www.criterionforum.com? Please.

Murdoch

#65 Post by Murdoch » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:47 pm

This might be a post for another thread, but to me Criterion is not only about releasing the best of international cinema, but also the most representative of cinema in a certain context; with Bay it's the American blockbuster. Sure, there are films that are far better action box-office champs in terms of story or characterization, but Bay's represent everything the blockbuster is seen as: this vacuous void of over-indulgence and cliche. Who but Bay better represents the modern blockbuster? His films pretty much encapsulate the explosion-ridden, trigger-happy flicks that have come to dominate the box office. But, of course, these releases also bring in quite a bit of revenue for Criterion, as Domino said, which is fine by me.

Matt

#66 Post by Matt » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:44 pm

This is now apparently out of print (though it may just be a UPC change). If it is indeed out of print, it will surely return shortly as an anamorphic DVD and Blu-ray.

CSM126

#67 Post by CSM126 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:21 am

Golly, I'm on the edge of my seat for that one.

Sarcasm aside, I'd expect any Blu-ray release of Armageddon to come about like The Rock BR - Disney/Buena Vista releasing the Criterion edition on BR but under the BV banner. I'd be kinda surprised if Criterion got the BR rights for themselves.

Venom

Re: 40 Armageddon

#68 Post by Venom » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:17 am

Although this one holds a special place for me since my grandfather was an extra during the New York destruction scene (never really identified him though, so I still have yet to feel what it's like to see a family member die onscreen. If anyone spots a Larry David lookalike, let me know), each time I watch this film I really lose interest rapidly when they go into space. I guess for me it's better to see it as drama about the preparations these "astronauts" make.

Ashirg

#69 Post by Ashirg » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:53 am

Blu-ray is being released on May 4, according to DVD Empire, and not by Criterion. Good news (no longer part of Criterion so people buying all Criterion's blus don't bitch about it) or bad news (cold hard cash they can get from this title can sponsor a bunch of really obscure releases) - you decide!

aox

#70 Post by aox » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:13 am

I'll just be happy when the philistines who own 1 Criterion (and it is a Wes Anderson film), and pretend to know something about the company, stop bitching about it.

Toshiro De Niro

#71 Post by Toshiro De Niro » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:13 pm

-Hello

I want to make my own "Three Reasons" video for Armageddon.
Anyone has any suggestions for the "reasons"?

There must be some reasons, right?

here's my youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/pleaseunhel ... QdAO9UsWho" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zedz

#72 Post by zedz » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:20 pm

Completism?

matrixschmatrix

#73 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:25 pm

Hey, at least it's not Tiny Furniture!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#74 Post by swo17 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:34 pm

Toshiro De Niro wrote:Anyone has any suggestions for the "reasons"?
Research in preparation for actual armageddon?

Matt

#75 Post by Matt » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:45 pm

1) Five credited screenwriters (insert clip of William Fichtner saying "Talk about the wrong stuff.")
2) Physics? What's physics? (insert clip of land vehicle jumping canyon, the debris of the Independence on fire in space)
3) Animal crackers (insert animal crackers scene, naturally)