572 Léon Morin, Priest

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
ando
Bringing Out El Duende

Re: Léon Morin, Priest (Jean-Pierre Melville, 1961)

#51 Post by ando » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:15 am

gcgiles1dollarbin wrote: The weirdness of tone you are observing—either through the surprising moments of lightness and humor, or the peculiar casting of affable movie star Belmondo—is part of Melville’s exploration of the unexpected cruelties and kindnesses underneath this apparently Manichean world dictated by the obvious outrages of the second world war. While the threat to Barny’s children is palpable, for example, one of the sweetest and most fleeting characterizations is the German officer who lovingly befriends Barny’s daughter. As viewers, we expect the other shoe to drop and await some terrible consequence resulting from this relationship, but it simply comes and goes, not unlike most quotidian experiences. Perhaps Melville is setting the miraculous complications and surprises of the everyday against the clear-cut boundaries drawn by historiography, not in order to contradict historical narratives, but simply to indicate lives being resolutely lived in spite of the horrors of war. For me, then, to look at Barny and Morin’s relationship as some kind of reflection of the outer ring of occupation may not be the best key to meaning in this film.
Well, to begin with, I don't believe there is any meaning to the film other than to offer a portrait of a relationship through the lense of this particular occupation. Melville, as Sloper has pointed out, uses methods of filmmaking which were previously commercially successful which, I believe, freed him to make narrative explorations which are not entirely convincing, chief of which is the failed agency of Barny. Melville's suggestion with his portrait of Barny is not simply that's she's defeateted by Christian, male perrogative but that she isn't aware that her singular attempt to challenge that perrogative is doomed; hence, the schoolgirl pose. An audience member has no choice but to believe the pose deliberate because the alternative would imply a kind of insanity, or at the very least, a benign masochism. For why would a woman of obvious mental gifts take on a challenge then feign ignorance of making such a wager to herself? After all, the narrative is presented as a kind of confessional (with the voice over narration as one kind of marker) so we assume that she has some awareness of her own intentions. My problem with this is that much of her own self-portrait, including important narrative details are left out creating, imo, a very deliberate effect of psychological imbalance, which strengthens the impression of the morally superior Morin and the perrogative which he represents, in general.

For instance, I didn't realize until I watched The Supplements that the boy Barny was watching over was not her own son, which she seemingly neglected to retreive, but the son of Jewish parents she was protecting from the Gestapo and subsequently passed to other harborers. Nothing in the film explains this. Apparently, in the novel, there is a dream/fantasy that attends the Morin bedroom sequence suggesting that her sexual union with Morin enabled her to fly. This runs counter to the impression Melville paints of his Barny, who seems absolutely imprisoned in and with her relationship with Morin. The literal confessional barriers that shadow the faces of Barny and Morin late in the film, absent in their initial meetings as Sloper points out, is an example of Melville's emphasis on her subjugation and his impenetrability. In the film Barny never seems to realize that this is the apotheosis of her relationship with Morin and that navigating her way through it is very much like making her way through her occupied environment. The juxtaposition is what gives the film it's real dynamism, if it can be said to have any, far and above whatever happens exclusively between the two main characters.

Nothing can happen between the two main characters, just as any German collaboration is perceived and treated as an anathema by those in Barny's environment. At most, we get a token (the soldier and Barny's daughter) but no real transgression; the woman who is suspected is expelled. It's interesting to note Barny's wonder at what she sees as denial on the part of the woman accused of collaborating with the Germans yet she cannot see her similar position with respect to Morin. Melville ends the film with Barny seemingly ignorant of the futility of her original design and left in misery. But after all she's seen and done how can anyone buy it?
gcgiles1dollarbin wrote:... in another reading, this could also be the personal tragedy of Barny confusing the intractable institution for the charismatic individual.
Possibly. But her intellect and the fact that she takes on the deliberately political challenge of confronting a member of the established clergy suggests otherwise. She knows what she's doing. So does Morin. But neither a personal nor a political victory is possible for Barny in Melville's film; only, the Allies come.

Sloper

#52 Post by Sloper » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:15 am

ando wrote:Barny, throughout the film, seems oblivious to the deeper implications of the German occupation, regarding it mostly as an inconvenient disturbance when, for many of the people around her, it's of upmost concern. However, it does mirror Barny's inner disturbance with respect to her relationship with Morin, of which she is equally as oblivious to what her initial dalliances with him will ultimately convey about her own emotional/psychological condition. I love the juxtaposition of scenes, for instance, of her sexual pass at Morin and the mindless crossing of the German roadblock. They both elicit startling, nearly violent reactions from Morin, who suddenly recoils, knocking over his chair and the German guard, who grabs his rifle, ready to take a shot at the oblivious and flagrantly bold Barny, respectively... In the film Barny never seems to realize that this is the apotheosis of her relationship with Morin and that navigating her way through it is very much like making her way through her occupied environment... Nothing can happen between the two main characters, just as any German collaboration is perceived and treated as an anathema by those in Barny's environment. At most, we get a token (the soldier and Barny's daughter) but no real transgression; the woman who is suspected is expelled. It's interesting to note Barny's wonder at what she sees as denial on the part of the woman accused of collaborating with the Germans yet she cannot see her similar position with respect to Morin.
Like gcgiles, I'm not totally convinced by the parallels you're drawing, though they raise very interesting and important questions about the connections between the Occupation and the film's central relationship. I guess I see it more along the lines of 'lives being resolutely lived in spite of the horrors of war', in contrast to Bergman's Shame where, it seems to me, the circumstances of the war transform the central couple into something they might not otherwise have been, even though they resolutely remain some kind of 'couple' throughout it all. Yes, when Barny crosses the tracks in defiance of the Nazis’ prohibition, this is an example of a careless transgression that must have some relation to her attempt to transgress a boundary with Léon Morin, but they're also very different kinds of transgression, aren't they? And it's interesting to consider the parallel between Barny and a collaborator, but I'm not sure how Barny's position becomes similar to that of a collaborator by virtue of her attempt to seduce Morin.

What's remarkable, in fact, is how little these two characters discuss the Occupation. Morin harbours enemies of the Nazis, but when Barny asks him who came to the door looking for shelter, he just says he doesn't know; he also says he 'gets in trouble with the diocese' for helping these people; he takes his time climbing the bell-tower to give the shooters time to escape; he tells Christine he will help her if the town is liberated, so he also sympathises with collaborators; and he shares Barny's sense of excitement upon hearing a distant explosion. We might expect Barny to ask him why he doesn't take a more active role in the Resistance, except that she doesn't take one either. They both seem quite comfortable with their stance of largely passive resistance. Morin's mind is on higher things; so is Barny's, but Morin replaces God as the object of her pursuit. We don't know how harsh he was with Christine about her collaboration, and indeed it sounds as though he was more concerned about her dyeing her hair. But he certainly sees Barny's attempt at seduction as a major transgression: until she has confessed, she is a 'dead branch', ready to be cut off and burnt.

Again, maybe one way to understand this is to draw parallels with the other Resistance films. In Le silence de la mer, the horrors of the gas chambers seem to take second place, in Werner’s eyes, to the Nazis’ desire to crush the ‘spirit’ of France and wipe out its beautiful culture, which he so admires, and the film itself seems more preoccupied with this aspect of things than anything else. In Army of Shadows, the characters’ activities almost all revolve around each other, managing what goes on within the Resistance rather than actually fighting the Nazis: dealing with an informer, rescuing comrades, etc. Like Melville’s gangsters, these people seem more concerned with codes, abstract values, and intangible ties with other people, than with the practical realities of their lives.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#53 Post by swo17 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:56 am

Sloper wrote:Morin's mind is on higher things; so is Barny's, but Morin replaces God as the object of her pursuit.
I think this is the crux of the film, though it's more complicated than you suggest here. How does one discern the sensation of developing faith from the excitement of being around someone like Morin? If Barny pretends to like God because she thinks it will make Morin like her, when her feelings for him progress, do her feelings for God grow along with them? When the two are so intertwined, how do you parse out the sacred from the profane? Is the faith that has developed at that point genuine? Can it survive if the object of affection is removed?

gcgiles1dollarbin

#54 Post by gcgiles1dollarbin » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:58 am

ando wrote:
gcgiles1dollarbin wrote:... in another reading, this could also be the personal tragedy of Barny confusing the intractable institution for the charismatic individual.
Possibly. But her intellect and the fact that she takes on the deliberately political challenge of confronting a member of the established clergy suggests otherwise. She knows what she's doing. So does Morin. But neither a personal nor a political victory is possible for Barny in Melville's film; only, the Allies come.
She approaches Morin at first on a lark, little suspecting her own vulnerability to the priest's unflappability and didactic pressure; the first thing she blurts to him in the confessional is that old Marxist bromide/putdown: "religion is the opiate of the masses," which isn't terribly thoughtful. He doesn't miss a beat in his unfazed response, which takes her aback, I think, and she might be our surrogate at that point, because we are continually surprised by characterizations and events (or non-events) throughout the movie. Her impulse to confront him was a bit like trolling; she even chose him in a classist manner, deciding which priest's name spoke to a lower socioeconomic status. I think it was a weak moment on her part, rather than a true intellectual challenge. I agree with you that she has a strong intellect--she's also incredibly resilient, given her circumstances and the fact that she doesn't have the auspices of a formal institution to buttress her, unlike Morin--but emotional vulnerability and intellectual power are working at odds, in this case.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#55 Post by ando » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:11 pm

Absolutely. But the lark sets up the conflict which unfolds before us for the next hour and a half. Their meeting and continued interaction is based on two characters whose life experiences have already formed them; so they're either going to change or remain resolute. The fact that a mere lark initiates the conflict doesn't negate the significance of her endeavor. And whether it happened during or after the occupation don't you think this collision of ideas in some form, given Barny's character, was inevitable? My initial query was to discover the ways in which the occupation intensifies the conflict between characters who must live through it - to the degree that they question their assumptions about themselves and the world around them. Would, for instance, Barny have attempted the lark under peaceful circumstances? And if she did would her initial dalliance with the priest have developed into the soul wrenching episode it became under the occupation? I, frankly. don't think you can separate her personal ordeal from the larger events around her; in other words, the personal and the political merge with her character in precisely the manner you describe. To me, Barny's a great illustration of the confusion that arises when personal and political decisions are viewed as separate and conflicting phenomena. Isn't this a basic form of self-deception? My bet is that Barny comes to this realization in Beck's novel. Melville, on the other hand, seems more interested in the cinematic profits of her confusion.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#56 Post by ando » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:57 pm

Sloper wrote: I'm not sure how Barny's position becomes similar to that of a collaborator by virtue of her attempt to seduce Morin.
It's a physical and psychological transgression; the film is replete with boundaries of all kinds, chief of which are those that Barny doesn't heed, in particular, the person of Léon Morin. While he, as noted, has powerful agency, Barny - with respect to him - has almost none. We're continually watching Barny observe vital, masculine force on display (Sabine, German soldiers, Morin) whose physical boundaries must not be breached, either through patriotic allegiance or theologic reasoning. Barny's attempt, whether cognizant or not, to breach them has dire consequences. The entire film is set up for the rejection by Morin of Barny's sexual advance. Is this a mis-reading?

Sloper

#57 Post by Sloper » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:01 am

swo17 wrote:
Sloper wrote:Morin's mind is on higher things; so is Barny's, but Morin replaces God as the object of her pursuit.
I think this is the crux of the film, though it's more complicated than you suggest here. How does one discern the sensation of developing faith from the excitement of being around someone like Morin? If Barny pretends to like God because she thinks it will make Morin like her, when her feelings for him progress, do her feelings for God grow along with them? When the two are so intertwined, how do you parse out the sacred from the profane? Is the faith that has developed at that point genuine? Can it survive if the object of affection is removed?
You're right, that was an oversimplification. The moment when Barny is 'converted' while clearing rubble from the attic, and the moment when she thanks God for 'loving this man more than I do', suggest that her new-found faith is to some extent distinguishable from her love for Morin, even if it is always, inevitably, associated with him. I don't think Barny is ever 'pretending' to be interested in God, nor do I think she is at all insincere when she describes her conversion. The fact that she says she feels 'cornered' into becoming a believer certainly suggests a strong parallel between her relationship with God and her relationship with Morin, who is forever cornering and overpowering her, intellectually and physically. But as you say, this is a story about the ambiguous nature of such relationships. Morin insists that only God and Barny herself can bring about her conversion, and the conversion duly takes place in Morin's absence, when Barny is completely alone; and yet, subsequent events also prompt the questions you ask in your post.

I guess what I really meant in my earlier comment was that the film itself - perhaps Melville himself - replaces God with Morin, and seems less interested in exploring the nature of Barny's faith than in illustrating the devastating power Morin wields over her. At the end, of the film, we don't even get a clear view of the street down which Barny is walking, some image which might help to suggest the kind of future she is heading into, before the film cuts to Morin standing gloriously on the landing. Earlier in the film, after her first confession, Barny staggered numbly out of the church, then said she felt light and joyful; the ending seems to deny the possibility of such a transition, but as far as Barny is concerned it's too vague even to be that pessimistic. It's as if she just ceases to matter, and the film insists on Morin as its real point of interest. This is one of the ways in which, I think, the film becomes limited and reduced by Melville's characteristic obsessions (which take him away from the theme of faith), and by his unwillingness to let female characters really develop.
ando wrote:We're continually watching Barny observe vital, masculine force on display (Sabine, German soldiers, Morin) whose physical boundaries must not be breached, either through patriotic allegiance or theologic reasoning. Barny's attempt, whether cognizant or not, to breach them has dire consequences.
Those are some very interesting links to draw between different elements in the film. I like the provocative question you’re asking, but still don’t quite see what you’re getting at. Do any of her transgressions really have dire consequences? Her unrequited love for Morin certainly ends up having a devastating effect on her, personally, but not for anyone else - certainly not for Morin, who simply deals with the situation like a professional. He distances himself from her, for a while, after she asks whether he would have liked to marry her (apparently in the novel he says 'yes', and not ironically as in the film); some time later he comes back to her with a book as if nothing had happened; he recoils from her attempt to touch him and tells her to come to confession, then absolves her, and carries on pretty much as normal. With Sabine, Barny never manages to breach any boundary, and even claims she wouldn't want to sleep with her - and her crush doesn't really seem to cause her any pain. The Nazi soldier doesn't strike me as 'vital and masculine', but rather as comically ineffectual despite his anger, and Barny skips away from him happily.

What is the nature of Barny's transgression with Morin? You say it's physical and psychological, but isn't it primarily moral and spiritual? She confesses that she has tried to seduce a priest into breaking the ninth commandment, the one forbidding illicit, concupiscent desires. Barny's sin is serious because Morin's celibacy is integral to his being, and to the sacred role he fulfils - and, I guess, because it involves a rejection of God's grace on her part, since at the moment of the attempted seduction she says 'blessed be the eternal torment afterwards'. She would rather have Morin's body to satisfy her lusts, even though she knows this would damn both of them. That reminds me of Riva's character in Hiroshima, mon amour, where the spiritual dimension is absent except in the vague sense of the 'reincarnated lover', but there is a strong sense that she regards the fact of her collaboration as irrelevant or insignificant compared to her feelings for the German soldier. No amount of punishment from the community or her parents can quell her desires. Resnais, very beautifully, gets us to side with her on that point (there may be room for disagreement here, but it's the way I see it). But in Léon Morin, Priest Melville ultimately seems to suggest that Barny's desires really are sinful, whether from the point of view of Catholic doctrine (which I'm not convinced the film is all that bothered with), or just because this great, lonely man shouldn't have his perfection tainted by a woman's love. Maybe thinking about the connection between Resnais’s film and Melville’s would provide a way into thinking about the connection between the would-be seducer of priests and the collaborator, but I’m not sure where to go with it.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#58 Post by ando » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:21 am

Sloper wrote:Maybe thinking about the connection between Resnais’s film and Melville’s would provide a way into thinking about the connection between the would-be seducer of priests and the collaborator, but I’m not sure where to go with it.
Must you? Would-be seducer of priests? Regardless of the success or failure of Barny's overtures toward Morin I think we can agree that setting her sights on him, as a priest, began as a lark. I was pointing out how Barny viewed the various forms of masculinity, which Melville makes a point of doing, in the film. It seems to me unavoidable. Barny seems particularly taken with the unassailable or unwavering masculine force. When that force is no longer present or waivers, as in the case with Sabine and/or even the Nazis, her interest wanes. I mentioned the figure of the collaborator woman because her expulsion (though there's no proof that she actually slept with a German) was an example of what could happen if that sexual boundary (verile, masculine, potency) were crossed. But like Sabine, who's suffering reduces her aggressive assertiveness, the Nazis reveal a tenderness to Barny's daughter and do eventually evacuate. Morin is the last man standing, so-to-speak, and is eventually stripped of the trappings of his unflagging masculinity in the final scene when Barny finds his normally spit-polished flat an empty, squalid shell. His potency is diminished and we then discover that his position has also been compromised as he is headed to the provinces.

Sloper

#59 Post by Sloper » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:51 am

ando wrote:Must you? Would-be seducer of priests? Regardless of the success or failure of Barny's overtures toward Morin I think we can agree that setting her sights on him, as a priest, began as a lark.
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean - her initial approach to Morin is indeed playful, but by the time she reaches out to him and says 'Viens!', she is in deadly earnest; she loves him. So she's a would-be seducer of a priest, anyway.
ando wrote: I was pointing out how Barny viewed the various forms of masculinity, which Melville makes a point of doing, in the film. It seems to me unavoidable. Barny seems particularly taken with the unassailable or unwavering masculine force. When that force is no longer present or waivers, as in the case with Sabine and/or even the Nazis, her interest wanes.
Yes, she's 'taken with' displays of masculinity, although her attitude to the Nazis seems purely one of fear when she sees them marching in, and one of contempt with regard to the one who shouts at her later on. I don't see any signs of attraction or admiration. With Sabine, she says that what attracts her is a masculinity delicately mixed with femininity. I'd like to say something about Léon Morin's possible 'feminine' attributes, but am not sure how to do it - there's something complex about his masculinity, as with all Melville's male characters, but I can't put my finger on it. So even in his case, I'm not sure it's as simple as her being attracted by an unwavering, unassailable masculine force. That's how it seems on the surface, and Morin does at times appear to embody some kind of masculine ideal, but I think there's something else happening on a deeper level. Sorry to be vague!
ando wrote:I mentioned the figure of the collaborator woman because her expulsion (though there's no proof that she actually slept with a German) was an example of what could happen if that sexual boundary (verile, masculine, potency) were crossed.
But collaborating with the enemy isn't about violating masculinity, is it? It's about aligning yourself with the enemy force, on the assumption that they will win and that their friendship will be useful to you. Isn't it more about women abusing their power to attract men, hence the punishment that follows: shearing off the woman's hair not only marks her as a traitor, but also robs her of her beauty (I don't actually think it does, but that's obviously the idea), and means that no man will want her until the hair grows back. You could say this is a reprisal carried out by the men who have been (symbolically or literally) 'cheated on' by the collaborating woman, and that masculinity is therefore at stake here; these men have been humiliated by this woman's sexual favours to the Germans, so they humiliate her in return. Here, though, it seems to be the other women, not the men (who are absent) who take pleasure in this punishment. The point is that in the case of the collaborator, it isn't the fact of her having compromised the virility of the man she has an affair with that is at issue - whereas in the case of Barny trying to seduce Morin, that is at least part of the problem. Or am I misunderstanding your point?
ando wrote:But like Sabine, who's suffering reduces her aggressive assertiveness, the Nazis reveal a tenderness to Barny's daughter and eventually evacuate. Morin is the last man standing, so-to-speak, and is eventually stripped of the trappings of his uber-masculinity in the final scene when Barny finds his normally spit-polished flat an empty, squalid shell.
Yes, as in his other two Resistance films, Melville refuses to portray the Nazis as truly powerful figures, and they never even appear all that villainous in this case. You seem to be saying that Morin's masculinity also wavers at the end of the film - or do you just mean that the trappings are gone, but not the thing itself? Surely, though, for Melville, such a paucity of worldly possessions, and the prospect of such a constricted existence, are the trappings of uber-masculinity, as in the gangster films? Morin's rooms were pretty sparse already, weren't they? He says himself that he despises pomp and ostentation.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#60 Post by swo17 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:48 am

Sloper wrote:At the end, of the film, we don't even get a clear view of the street down which Barny is walking, some image which might help to suggest the kind of future she is heading into, before the film cuts to Morin standing gloriously on the landing. Earlier in the film, after her first confession, Barny staggered numbly out of the church, then said she felt light and joyful; the ending seems to deny the possibility of such a transition, but as far as Barny is concerned it's too vague even to be that pessimistic. It's as if she just ceases to matter, and the film insists on Morin as its real point of interest. This is one of the ways in which, I think, the film becomes limited and reduced by Melville's characteristic obsessions (which take him away from the theme of faith), and by his unwillingness to let female characters really develop.
I don't know that the film could have shown much more about Barny if it had followed her out into the street. She has been crushed by this whole ordeal. She will presumably take a while to get over it, and then move on. That's not a story that resolves itself during a candid moment on her walk back home. Instead the film places its final gaze on Morin, who is placed in an elevated position. We are reminded of his power as both an individual and an agent of the church, and both the good and the harm that can and have come from it. This is the last way that Barny saw him, and I suspect this image will haunt her for quite some time. But I don't think it signals that he's the only character the film ever really cared about.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#61 Post by ando » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:58 am

Sloper wrote:But collaborating with the enemy isn't about violating masculinity, is it? It's about aligning yourself with the enemy force, on the assumption that they will win and that their friendship will be useful to you. Isn't it more about women abusing their power to attract men, hence the punishment that follows: shearing off the woman's hair not only marks her as a traitor, but also robs her of her beauty (I don't actually think it does, but that's obviously the idea), and means that no man will want her until the hair grows back. You could say this is a reprisal carried out by the men who have been (symbolically or literally) 'cheated on' by the collaborating woman, and that masculinity is therefore at stake here; these men have been humiliated by this woman's sexual favours to the Germans, so they humiliate her in return. Here, though, it seems to be the other women, not the men (who are absent) who take pleasure in this punishment. The point is that in the case of the collaborator, it isn't the fact of her having compromised the virility of the man she has an affair with that is at issue - whereas in the case of Barny trying to seduce Morin, that is at least part of the problem. Or am I misunderstanding your point?
Melville, at least to my mind, really isn't terribly profound. In this film, at any rate, his primary strength lies is in the play of images against each other, not necessarily in their deeper resonances and certainly not in deeper theoretical and/or philosophic considerations, in general. You expressed that one of the things that bugged you about the film were the fade-outs during the theosophic discussions between Barny and Morin. It also seemed curious to me at first. Then, of course, I realized that the finer points or even nuances of Christian theology and faith were hardly Melville's concern here. No exchange between the two main characters resembles the emotional, spiritual and psychological intensity of that between the Catholic priest, Claude, and the Countess in Bresson's Diary of a Country Priest, for instance. Melville's concerns are visceral and immediate. Hence, he relies more on repetition, accumulation, climax and the eventual withdrawl of images. Everything that we have been discussing has visual, palpable form in Morin and can be read simply as such. When I speak of the collaborator who is accused of sleeping with German soldiers I'm referring to the woman and the accusation alone. When her image is withdrawn it's literally replaced with a sign over the door of an evacuated house threatening anyone attempting to repeat her supposed actions with similar treatment. That's all. But that's all that Melville requires. Nothing about what it may mean to the French soldiers in the field, or the Germans or any number of the women in town is Melville's concern. Simply; if you sleep with the Germans you 'll suffer. It's a barrier, a threat and a titilation for Barny: exactly like the figure of Morin.
Sloper wrote:
ando wrote:But like Sabine, who's suffering reduces her aggressive assertiveness, the Nazis reveal a tenderness to Barny's daughter and eventually evacuate. Morin is the last man standing, so-to-speak, and is eventually stripped of the trappings of his uber-masculinity in the final scene when Barny finds his normally spit-polished flat an empty, squalid shell.
Yes, as in his other two Resistance films, Melville refuses to portray the Nazis as truly powerful figures, and they never even appear all that villainous in this case. You seem to be saying that Morin's masculinity also wavers at the end of the film - or do you just mean that the trappings are gone, but not the thing itself? Surely, though, for Melville, such a paucity of worldly possessions, and the prospect of such a constricted existence, are the trappings of uber-masculinity, as in the gangster films? Morin's rooms were pretty sparse already, weren't they? He says himself that he despises pomp and ostentation.
Spareness and potency (let's say) are not antithetical here. Morin's room was spare, polished and well-kept but never revealed as shabby until the final scene. The piano, used by Morin throughout the film as an extended means of expression, is gone. His shelves of books are reduced to a handful of volumes strewn on the floor. There's a real sense of loss that is conveyed through the withdrawl of even meager visual elements.

Sloper

#62 Post by Sloper » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:46 am

swo17 wrote:I don't know that the film could have shown much more about Barny if it had followed her out into the street. She has been crushed by this whole ordeal. She will presumably take a while to get over it, and then move on. That's not a story that resolves itself during a candid moment on her walk back home. Instead the film places its final gaze on Morin, who is placed in an elevated position. We are reminded of his power as both an individual and an agent of the church, and both the good and the harm that can and have come from it. This is the last way that Barny saw him, and I suspect this image will haunt her for quite some time. But I don't think it signals that he's the only character the film ever really cared about.
Fair point, hers is a complex situation that can't just be resolved in some trite way, as in for instance Sweet Smell of Success where we get a kind of triptych of symbolic final images signalling the three main characters' eventual fates. But I do think the way she's left at the end feels abrupt. She does, as you say, seem to have been 'crushed', but what would make us presume that she will take a while to get over it and then move on?

Is that the impression the rest of the film has given us? To begin with Barny seems strong-willed and independent, but part of what Morin does is to break down her will and her independence, and make her feel overwhelmed by a higher force: him and/or God, or God through him. As you say, the final image emphasises his 'power as both an individual and an agent of the church, and both the good and the harm that can and have come from it', and part of me thinks it's this power, rather than just his failure to requite her love for him, that 'crushes' Barny at the end.

Or maybe we presume that she will get over this because, in that final conversation, she is still asking questions, still showing a desire to learn about God, and to understand the issues that bother her. The final insight she gets from Morin is that God can accommodate seeming contradictions, which may be a blow to her logical mind, but may also equip her to deal with the conflicted feelings that she's tormented by at the moment, and to become more comfortable with her faith. I wasn't immediately left with the impression that Barny would 'get over' her experience, but on reflection I can see how the film suggests this - and there's a kind of pathos, too, in the way Morin carries on standing there on the landing after Barny has left, perhaps giving a final, clear indication that she did mean more to him, personally, than he was willing to admit. So yes, maybe the ending is more balanced between these two characters than I thought.
ando wrote:You expressed that one of the things that bugged you about the film were the fade-outs during the theosophic discussions between Barny and Morin. It also seemed curious to me at first. Then, of course, I realized that the finer points or even nuances of Christian theology and faith were hardly Melville's concern here. No exchange between the two main characters resembles the emotional, spiritual and psychological intensity of that between the Catholic priest, Claude, and the Countess in Bresson's Diary of a Country Priest, for instance. Melville's concerns are visceral and immediate. Hence, he relies more on repetition, accumulation, climax and the eventual withdrawl of images.
I think that's a helpful way of thinking about the editing style of the film, and it feels very true to Melville's general approach to film-making. And yes, I agree about the theological discussions; often, it's the tone of those conversations that seems to matter most, rather than the content.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#63 Post by swo17 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:27 am

Sloper wrote:what would make us presume that she will take a while to get over it and then move on?
I was just speaking from my own personal experience of having been crushed, and assuming she's a strong enough person to not let this experience outright destroy her (and "move on" is certainly a gross oversimplification--you're never quite the same afterward, but at least the pain eventually fades). But I like the points you make here!

teddyleevin

Re: 572 Léon Morin, Priest

#64 Post by teddyleevin » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:02 pm

The new cut (4K DCP from Rialto) being screened by Film Forum is listed as 13 minutes longer than the Criterion cut: "This restoration of Melville’s never-before-seen director’s cut puts back 11 minutes excised from the original release version."

I've had the Criterion sealed Blu on the kevyip pile for a while. I've avoided this thread for fear of spoilers for a first-timer, but can anyone illuminate as to the knowledge of the existence of this footage at the time when Criterion release their edition and to the veracity of this particular version being a representation of Melville's vision? Paying to see it in theatre's when I've already paid to own it (an OOP impulse blind-buy) seems like a double-dip-gamble, and I hear a wide range of opinions on this one. Anyone who's seen the new version can recommend it and is it coming to Blu soon, do we expect?

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#65 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:38 pm

There was some discussion of this in the NY Repertory thread a few months ago; I asked about it because I'd also not seen the film but was in Manhattan for a few days when they were screening it. Since my first viewing included the extra material, I can't speak to its value on a scene-by-scene basis, but I quite enjoyed the film as a whole and didn't notice anything that glaringly didn't "fit", either contextually or in terms of restoration quality.

PfR73

#66 Post by PfR73 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:10 pm

I watched the film for the first time last week, and viewed both the Criterion disc followed by the Kino Lorber disc. The extra material in the Director's Cut is composed of the 2 deleted scenes from the Criterion disc, plus a 6-minute sequence that immediately follows the first of the deleted scenes where Barny assists a refugee family that have lost their home and their papers. One benefit of this additional sequence being restored is that it makes sense of the scene where Barny is taking a little boy, Dimitri, to live at the farm where Barny's daughter France is living. When I watched the film for the very first time in the shorter cut, I was totally baffled as to where the little boy came from and even rewound the film, trying to figure out if I had missed something, except there still was no previous mention of who this Dimitri was or from whence he came.
Last edited by PfR73 on Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Phillips

#67 Post by Jack Phillips » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:18 am

teddyleevin wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:02 pm
Anyone who's seen the new version can recommend it and is it coming to Blu soon, do we expect?
The complete cut is already available from Kino.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#68 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:57 am

And it's in the UK Blu-ray set