544-550 America Lost and Found: The BBS Story (Easy Rider, Five Easy Pieces, The Last Picture Show, etc.)

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
beamish14

Re: 544-550 America Lost and Found: The BBS Story (Easy Rider, Five Easy Pieces, The Last Picture Show, etc.)

#251 Post by beamish14 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:51 pm

Considering that Richard Linklater is from Texas and already made a fairly solid, long-belated sequel to a 70’s classic, I’d say he could do it, too

jazzo

Re: 544-550 America Lost and Found: The BBS Story (Easy Rider, Five Easy Pieces, The Last Picture Show, etc.)

#252 Post by jazzo » Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:56 pm

That would be great, too, although, no matter how much I love Linkater's work, I feel like Payne and Jenkins have slightly better visual aesthetics. But "Bernie" also gives me "Duane's Depressed vibes", which is a phrase, I suspect, young people will be embracing any day now when they want to articulate their melancholy in shorthand.

PfR73

#253 Post by PfR73 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

Reading the restoration notes in the book included in the Columbia Classics set, I learned that there are 2 versions of the Director's Cut of The Last Picture Show: the Director's Cut released in 1991 apparently altered the pool scene and the Duane/Jacy hotel room scene; while then in 1999, Bogdanovich decided to revert these scenes to the original 1971 versions, and thus what has always been released since then is the "Definitive Director's Cut". The book says the 1991 Director's Cut is what was released on the Criterion/Voyager laserdisc. Does anyone know actual specifics about the differences in the scenes?