âGod, why hast thou forsaken me?â With Winter Light
, Ingmar Bergman explores the search for redemption in a meaningless existence. Small-town pastor Tomas Ericsson (Gunnar BjÃ¶rnstrand) performs his duties mechanically before a dwindling congregation, including his stubbornly devoted lover, MÃ¤rta (Ingrid Thulin). When he is asked to assuage a troubled parishionerâs (Max von Sydow) debilitating fear of nuclear annihilation, Tomas is terrified to find that he can provide nothing but his own doubt. The beautifully photographed Winter Light
is an unsettling look at the human craving for personal validation in a world seemingly abandoned by God.
- Exploring the film: Video discussion with Ingmar Bergman biographer Peter Cowie
- Original theatrical trailer
- Ingmar Bergman Makes a Movie, a five-part documentary by Vilgot SjÃ¶man made for Swedish television during the production of Winter Light
- Audio interview from 1962 with actor Gunnar BjÃ¶rnstrand
- Introduction by Ingmar Bergman